Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I have vibration at 60 MPH

Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have vibration at 60 MPH

On my 98 2WD 4runner that has about 127k miles has a vibration when I hit 60MPH and higher. I just balanced the tires all around and don"t know if I should change the u joints. There is no movement in the driveshaft if I move it up and down and there is no clunking sound when I put it in gear. One thing I did notice is that the transmission mount has play in it, when I put a pry bar in between the mount it moves up and down allot but the rubber dose not looked cracked or damaged. Another thing is when I make a left or right turn it sounds like the wheels make a light grinding noise. Can any of these things cause a vibration? Just wanted to see what you guys think or if anyone has the same problem. Thanks.

ADAM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM

the tranny thing could definately cause a vibration.. but after that you could have warped rotors.. are your tires worn down at all? sometimes that can cause it.. and a lot of tire places suck at balancing tires.. a bent rim can cause vibration too
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kawasakimoto_7
the tranny thing could definately cause a vibration.. but after that you could have warped rotors.. are your tires worn down at all? sometimes that can cause it.. and a lot of tire places suck at balancing tires.. a bent rim can cause vibration too
My front tires need to be replaced soon and the front drivers side is worn on the inside. I just had the tires balanced at my local junior collage where i'm taking steering and suspension classes, and it was on the new hunter machine.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM

I need to get road force balances on my truck, otherwise I get a vibration in my steering wheel at 60mph.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by badattitude
I need to get road force balances on my truck, otherwise I get a vibration in my steering wheel at 60mph.
I didn't do the road force balance, maybe I will do that next class, its free and I get to learn how to do it. I don't really feel that much in the steering wheel, if I hold it tight it dose not shake much. I feel it more in the seat and floor.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Is the transmission mount supposed to have movement?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM

if you feel it more in the floor and whatnot its probably that loose mount.. usually tires and whatnot you feel it more in the wheel, i dont know what those balances you are talking about but i work at discount/americas tire and we always balance out peoples tires pretty good too. id reccomend going there, they will most likely balance your fronts for free. it also depends on the type of balance you use, for example it looks like the best balance for your rims would be a clip weight if possible and a tape or sticky weight on the inside of the wheel as close to the face as you can get. and for the tranny mount im pretty sure its not supposed to wiggle or move.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98blacksr5
I didn't do the road force balance, maybe I will do that next class, its free and I get to learn how to do it. I don't really feel that much in the steering wheel, if I hold it tight it dose not shake much. I feel it more in the seat and floor.
A little required reading for that next class:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by 98blacksr5
local junior collage
Well, there is your problem! Because an art form in which compositions are made out of pieces of paper, cloth, photographs, and other miscellaneous objects, juxtaposed and pasted on a dry ground cannot balance your tires good!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM

Does the vibration go away when you let off the gas? That was one of the symptoms I had when my u-joint was missing a chunk.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by kawasakimoto_7
if you feel it more in the floor and whatnot its probably that loose mount.. usually tires and whatnot you feel it more in the wheel, i dont know what those balances you are talking about but i work at discount/americas tire and we always balance out peoples tires pretty good too. id reccomend going there, they will most likely balance your fronts for free. it also depends on the type of balance you use, for example it looks like the best balance for your rims would be a clip weight if possible and a tape or sticky weight on the inside of the wheel as close to the face as you can get. and for the tranny mount im pretty sure its not supposed to wiggle or move.
We used clip on weights on the inside. I think I will replace the tranny mount first because I don't like the the way it moves. I had purchased one from autozone and the mounting holes would not line up like the oem part, I think I need to go to Napa Auto or Toyota.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by gdutch
Does the vibration go away when you let off the gas? That was one of the symptoms I had when my u-joint was missing a chunk.
When i'm at 60 to 65 and let off it will vibrate a little stronger till it gets under 60 MPH. If I replace the u joints should I have the driveshaft balanced?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM

I didn't have to have it rebalanced, there was an obvious chunk missing from the front u-joint. Interesting, because my vibration would mostly go away when I let off the accelerator. Also it lessened when I got above 65ish.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by gdutch
I didn't have to have it rebalanced, there was an obvious chunk missing from the front u-joint. Interesting, because my vibration would mostly go away when I let off the accelerator. Also it lessened when I got above 65ish.
Going to order the mount today and see what it dose, then I will try replacing the u-joints.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Quick question:
Are you balancing lug centric or hub centric?
I "have" to go to the dealer to get the lug centric and all is good!
I have tried several other places that claimed to have the right equipment, but the balance was still off.
The toy wheels are centered on the lug holes not the center holes.
96 4runner 270k and counting miles
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A bad wheel bearing could cause the grinding sound and cause a vibration. Also if the wheels had mud on them and was not cleaned off , it could throw the balancing process off.

Last edited by swampfox; 10-07-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MLiebal
Quick question:
Are you balancing lug centric or hub centric?
I "have" to go to the dealer to get the lug centric and all is good!
I have tried several other places that claimed to have the right equipment, but the balance was still off.
The toy wheels are centered on the lug holes not the center holes.
96 4runner 270k and counting miles
Not quite. They are both hub-centric and lug-centric. Thing is, the stock wheel won't fit right on the cone-type hub-centric adapters so Toyota recommends use of the flange-type lug-centric adapter. Read the mega-thread and all will be revealed.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
jrm

You need to have the wheels

using the lug eccentric balance attachment. The JC tried to balance the wheels using the hubs as center when the lugs 9apttern of 6) need to be used as the center of the rim.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM

I vote ujoint.....check the driveline mounting flange bolts for loose ones also.
Have you tried lubing the u-joints?
When was the last time you did?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Not quite. They are both hub-centric and lug-centric. Thing is, the stock wheel won't fit right on the cone-type hub-centric adapters so Toyota recommends use of the flange-type lug-centric adapter. Read the mega-thread and all will be revealed.
All that was used when they balanced the wheels was a cone adapter for my aftermarket wheels. we just briefly touched the subject about lug centric and hub centric wheels, so i'm still learning. To answer your question, i'm not sure. I would have to take the wheels off and see, but TheDurk said they are both.

raydouble No I have not lubed the u-joints, I just got the truck less then a year ago.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I will change the u-joints and tranny mount then move to wheel bearings and new tires, need new ones anyway. I will be going to Yosemite next month with my wife and 2 year old and want to make sure the truck is in good shape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have vibration at 60 MPH