Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I have some questions,...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some questions,...

I did a serach and couldn't find any answers to my questions,... I want to lift my 2000 tacoma so I can run 33's. I would like about 6" of lift but will settle for 4" just to clear those 33's. Now,... I am such a newbie at this,... how much lift can my truck tolerate before I have to start dropping stuff? I know when you lift just the body that you have to extend things. Thats makes sence. I heard that if you go up hig enough you have to drop the front differencial? Do you know how high that is? I also read some where that I had to do some sort of hub conversion for late model tacoma so I dont wear out my CVs? Now,... I thought that I would do a nice 3 - 4" suspension lift then do a 2" body lift to achieve my 6". Dont really want to go above a 2" body lift. Now,... What would be the best way to acconplish the suspension lift? The easiest way I touhg twould be to get the fabtech 3" pro kit but they said its not recommended for 4Cyl. model. Why? I want to get new sruts all the way around. I thought I would get some big coilovers up front and maybe an add a leaf out back? Could I use 3" spacers with a 3" coilover to achieve the 6"? How would I get the back up that high? I looked at my friends tacoma and his leafs are bent upward and mine are bent downward. Are mine suppose to be bent downward? What is articulation? What is a solid axle? What is an air locker? This is so confusing,....
Old 11-01-2003, 01:59 AM

How do I know how long I should get my struts for the front and back? What about springs? Height? Poundage? OnceI raised the front How do I know how much to lft the rear to level the truck out?
Old 11-01-2003, 02:23 AM

Ok,... learned that I dont need the manual hub conversion seeing that I already have manual hubs,... also a solid axle is basically a solid axle up front instead of CV joints? Right?
Old 11-01-2003, 05:44 AM

Ok,... here is a picture of our trucks. Look how much height he has on me!!! How many inches you think?
Attached Thumbnails I have some questions,...-overkill_bothtrucksside_320x240.jpg  
Old 11-01-2003, 06:17 PM

How is it that know one here wants to help me?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Try T.T.O.R.A.

It's all about Tacos and trucks

You'll find all you need

http://www.ttora-al.org/

Check out your home state's chapter or just use Tacoma Territory Talk and post your questions and/or search.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2003, 06:33 PM

Great! Thanks. If youknow of any other resources it would be much appreciated!
Old 11-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Welcome to the board. I don't have the answer to your question since I drive a stock height 4Runner, but please try to be patient in looking for a response. Please remember that it is the weekend and lots of our members are out in the country doing what we all do best: 4wheel our Toyotas!

Have you performed a search of the forum yet? It looks like you're starting your investigation by contacting lift manufacturers and looking at your own truck, but try using the Search feature (blinking green button in the header) as there are numerous threads and tech write-ups on your questions. Use terms like "air locker","articulation", etc., and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Also, please be careful about the tone of your request, especially since you're new to the board. We all appreciate your enthusiasm, and we were all new once to this hobby, but using phrases like "How is it that know one here wants to help me?" isn't going to get you anything but intolerance & flames to no end, so its not a recommended way to introduce yourself to the board and its members. Just be patient, run some searches, lurk around a little bit, and you'll find what you're looking for. This forum is a treasure chest of info and I've learned so much by looking around and listening to the others and asking questions when appropriate.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't want to see you get off on the wrong foot with Yotatech. BTW, a solid axle means just that: it is a straight axle with a differential and the wheels don't move up/down independently of each other. These were found on p/u's through 86. Your's is a 2000, so its an IFS, or Independent Front Suspension, meaning that the wheels move up/down indepentently of each other, giving a smoother ride. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
WW,

Thanks for the help, was typing my post at the same time to try & help as well.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

well its covered everyday, but to humor you here is some help:

this is a great tacoma site, look under the suspension folder especially...
http://www.ttora-ne.com/newsite/main.htm

solid axle stuff:
http://www.toy4x4.net

some dif. stuff:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

3"is the most you can get out of a spacer or coil lift.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:35 PM

Articulation is an easy one. In laymans terms its how high a tire can go while keeping the other three planted on the ground. So its the maximum suspension travel of the entire system.

Solid axle trucks are much better for this because both axles pivot, where as with IFS, once one of the tires in front is at its max, it begins lifting the other front tire because it has no where else to go.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
Articulation is an easy one. In laymans terms its how high a tire can go while keeping the other three planted on the ground. So its the maximum suspension travel of the entire system.

Solid axle trucks are much better for this because both axles pivot, where as with IFS, once one of the tires in front is at its max, it begins lifting the other front tire because it has no where else to go.

Well said,... very cool. I did a search and looked for articulation but all I found was people using the term as oppose to explaining it. Maybe I didnt look hard enough.

3"is the most you can get out of a spacer or coil lift.
The struts come on different lengths and I am assuming its the same for the springs,... How do I know which is right right length for a 3" lift? Do I just find out how long my stocks are then add 3" to the new ones? Have to find technical info,...
Old 11-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

theres this and a bunch more on the new england site.............

[http://www.off-road.com/toyota/travel.html

edit, fixed link. technical info, what is this??

Last edited by its2slo; 11-01-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

for all your tacoma answers...

www.tacomaterritory.com

they have a forum geared specifically for tacomas and they will definitely be able to help ya out. we can too but they're more knowledgeable about the tacoma's than us.

check out watrd.com as he has a 6" lift.

also you can fit 33's with 3" suspension + 2" body (trimming required - heavily).

don't go over 3" in the suspension part as your cv's will go to crap.

personally I think 32's look sweet on a tacoma w/ the 2.5-3" lift.

33's seem to look like you're just stuffing way too much under there
Old 11-02-2003, 01:14 AM

Thanks alot! I have done some reading and so far i learned some but I have much more reading to go,... I want a good lift so that I can stuff 32- 33" tires without having to worry about my CV's going bad early. My friends truck,... do you think he had a 6" lift? I know he has a 3" body lift. Thanks again. I might go for the 32's seeing that I dont plan on rock crawling or anything like that,... if anything trail riding,... kinda like rally racing conditions. The 32's are a bit lighter so that means i'll be a bit faster. A BIT. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:29 AM

I don't think you're going to be rallying anytime soon. All trucks are top heavy so if you try to drift around a corner even at 20mph you risk getting a sharp bite of traction somewhere in the turn and then rolling, or if you hit a rut. If you're looking into doing faster speed applications, I would seriously look into more of a prerunner type route for your truck. Total Chaos has an incredible suspension kit, gives you 11" of travel with 4WD and 12"with 2wd. http://www.chaosfab.com/products/products.htm

Where do you live too? I would investigate what kind of trails are near you. In order to go fast and be safe, you need a decently wide enough trail and hopefully no shelf roads.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:02 PM

Wow,... thats a nice kit,... From what I read about the uniball long travel,... i'm guessing it's a 2.5" suspension lift? I'm guessing its expensive,... I'll have to ask later,... I love the dual shock set up like that,... it's looks so hardcore. OH,... about the whole rally racing thing,... I didn't literally mean that I will be rally racing,... I mean I want ot some some fast pace trail riding but nothing like rock crawling or something that involves slow steady driving to keep from tipping. Anwyays,... quick question,... I drove my truck through this huge mud hole up where I live and I noticed that the mud shot up right under the engine bay and literally hit the underside the my hood. There was mud all up in my engine bay,... that can't be a good thing right? I mean everything got sprayed with mud under there. Hmmmm,... tell me what you think. I live in South NJ so if I do anything off road I will probably have to visit PS seeing that "offroading" nj is called tresspassing
Old 11-03-2003, 07:22 AM

Read my sig...it might be something to consider...It rides stiff but handles good...Can be done pretty cheap...oh yeah since your a newbie..the 882's are old man emu lifted coils..I got about 3-1/4" lift with them. With the manual hubs I havent had any cv problems. I would recommend the diff drop too. I havent done it yet but its comming soon.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Not to hi-jack the thread.. But, since I am getting a new Taco to compliment the Runner. Does anyone know the part numbers for the rear OME springs? Are there more than 1? I have only been able to find OME-15A(driver & OME-15B(Passenger) But do not know if the are medium or firm or what. Any help on this would be great. Also the only shock #i could find was N85. Is this firm or medium? thanks again
Old 11-03-2003, 07:44 AM

Hey Rixham youve got the correct #'s for the rear springs..those are the only ones available. I think thats the right number for the shocks. I think those are the ones I have. I think they are firm. not sure if they have soft ones available or not...get the springs they are the ˟˟˟˟˟. Make sure you order some front bushings from toyota so you dont have to try to reuse your old ones.

Quick Reply: I have some questions,...