Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I got back from the dealer at 9:30pm tonight...Update

Old 05-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got back from the dealer at 9:30pm tonight...

This should probably go in the dealer rant thread, but I want my own thread!

I just had Dublin toyota replace my leaking water pump and the timing belt. I got my truck back two days ago, but just got to drive it today. After driving it the 30 miles to and from work (60 total), I pull into my parking space at my apartment at about 7pm. I turn the engine off and step out of the truck. All of the sudden I hear a gush of water and look to see a river of green spewing out from under the truck. I look closer and see the lower radiator hose is off, spewing coolant and the clamp is in the middle of the hose, not over the radiator inlet.

On top of all that, when I had the truck in for the water pump replacement I specifically told them to use Toyota red coolant!

I filled the radiator with tap water and drove down to toyota which is open till 9pm. The good thing is that they didn't argue about anything and they flushed the system and used toyota red. I also got a free oil change, but I don't think that was enough.

When I was leaving I asked the cashier for a complaint form, and I got a phone number to call. Just when I was going to get in my truck, the attendant (not the service manager, but his after hours equivolent) came out and tried to give me reasons for not submitting a complaint. He said the usual...they're humans, not robots...etc. If I'm paying $100 per hour, I expect them to find the stupid mistakes before it's handed back to me. He also went on to say that the green coolant is better for the headgasket of the 3.0 than the toyota red. This was after I told him my concerns of the headgasket blowing as a result of this.

I'm done, I feel better...

Last edited by Robinhood150; 05-01-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,

Don't you hate that when the dealer doesn't listen to you---and you find out by accident?

Fill out that complaint form. Attach a letter with it too. And that guy only offered you an oil change? Please.

Bob
Old 05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks dude! So is there any validity that green is better for the HG on a 3.0? I've always heard use Yota red!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, I wouldn't let them off the hook so easily. I'd probably call down to speak to the service manager during the day today; who knows if Gomer from the night shift will even tell him what happened. If they have nothing else to offer, then I'd fill out the complaint form, and with it, include copies of this thread. Send one to the dealer and one to corporate.

And I'd also ask the daytime service mgr. what the TSB number is for the green vs. red coolant in the 3.0. That one sounds fishy.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

Re: I got back from the dealer at 9:30pm tonight...

Originally posted by Robinhood150
This should probably go in the dealer rant thread, but I want my own thread!

I just had Dublin toyota replace my leaking water pump and the timing belt. I got my truck back two days ago, but just got to drive it today. After driving it the 30 miles to and from work (60 total), I pull into my parking space at my apartment at about 7pm. I turn the engine off and step out of the truck. All of the sudden I hear a gush of water and look to see a river of green spewing out from under the truck. I look closer and see the lower radiator hose is off, spewing coolant and the clamp is in the middle of the hose, not over the radiator inlet.

On top of all that, when I had the truck in for the water pump replacement I specifically told them to use Toyota red coolant!

I filled the radiator with tap water and drove down to toyota which is open till 9pm. The good thing is that they didn't argue about anything and they flushed the system and used toyota red. I also got a free oil change, but I don't think that was enough.

When I was leaving I asked the cashier for a complaint form, and I got a phone number to call. Just when I was going to get in my truck, the attendant (not the service manager, but his after hours equivolent) came out and tried to give me reasons for not submitting a complaint. He said the usual...they're humans, not robots...etc. If I'm paying $100 per hour, I expect them to find the stupid mistakes before it's handed back to me. He also went on to say that the green coolant is better for the headgasket of the 3.0 than the toyota red. This was after I told him my concerns of the headgasket blowing as a result of this.

I'm done, I feel better...
I would definately call them on it. They should give you more than an oil change for your troubles.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Call that number! Make that complaint. If something happens to your engine because of the loss of coolant (headgasket), you want it in their records.

Otherwise, it will be your word against their's.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:43 AM

You should do three things.

First - Call in during the day and speak to both the Service Manager and the General manager of the Dealership. The GM runs the whole show and they need to know what happened. If you tell just the service manager he'll probably try and make it a hush hush incident. Remeber it's a reflection on him. Let both the GM and the SM know you're going to Toyota about this. It's unacceptable and a formal complaint needs to be made. You'll be surprised how nice they get.

Second - Call Toyota USA. They have a customer care #. Call any dealer and they'll give it to you. Let them know everything that happened and make sure they make a file about it.

Third - Follow up all of this with a letter. Send copies to both the Dealer and Toyota USA. You want your version in writing.

I have had several dealings with Toyota USA and they are excellent. Tell them you want you're money back because you paid for a repair that wasn't done. They may not give it all back, but I bet you get something. If you don't want that, think of something else you want to make up for it.

Most important don't give up. I'm sure the dealer will try and tell you that it's all fixed now so no harm no foul. Don't buy it. It should have never of happened. Any future engine prolems may be a direct cause of this.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

This makes me mad, and its not even my truck. Its all about attention to detail. Jerks.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, the guy didn't offer me anything, I had to ask for a free oil change.

I brought up my HG concerns with the guy and he said even if I do report it and document it, I can't prove that the HG failed because of what happened. That one made me mad.

I will be reporting this to the dealer and toyota corporate.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Away

Steve,

I used to live in Dublin, CA. When I was looking for my Supra, I went to Dublin Toyota to buy it. I told them I was paying cash and wanted some assistance in picking out a car. I waited over 2 hours for a salesperson to help me. I guess since I wasn't dressed in a suit and tie, they didn't take me seriously.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere to buy my car. I drove back there in my new Supra Turbo to let them know that they lost a $28,000 sale. They remembered me then...

After that, when needing parts or service, I would compare prices between Dublin Toyota and other dealerships and Dublin was ALWAYS at least 20% higher for the exact same thing. I never gave them a dime.

It seems like they're still the same group of @ssholes that they were then. I'd avoid them in the future if I were you. Sorry to hear about your toubles.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 05-02-2003, 03:12 PM

dublin toyota is a pain... hecka over charged for new fuel injector gaskets......

im with ya man
Old 05-02-2003, 04:05 PM

Complain, Toyota does get all over the dealership if it's valid. They actually took the dealership away, from the owner, here a decade or so ago.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Any updates yet Steve?
Old 05-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't even sound like they appologized. I would certainly contact the GM as well as Toyota USA. Toyota will nota take this litely.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota coolant is a low corosive coolant that toyota uses, there are reasons why.. The water inlet neck and water pump does not have gaskets, they just use a groove cut into the matting surface and a small bead of silicoln to seal them.. That "old school crap" will pitt and corode the surfaces.. Hell ya, complain $100 per hour!!! Damn! Even our Mercedes dealers don't ask that out here.. Toyota?? $65-$75... I won't say what I would be expecting them do do for $100 an hour!!

........................... ............................................. ..........................................

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 05-03-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:46 AM

Thumbs down

You know what,? I can see the loose hose clamp-that kind of stuff happens especially when you are overworked.
But the:
A. green coolant
---and----
B. the attitude and lack of ass kissing on your return to have stuff fixed are inexcusable.

They should have been like, " Oh, sorry about the hose clamp-we will fix it promptly. Did the motor overheat? Why don't you pay special attention to the performance for a couple of days and let us know if anything suspicious occurs. If everthing checks OK out we will give you a 20% card for your next service."

Y'know I personally think Toyotas are better than most but that is not the point. Whether Toyota, Ford or even Kenmore, Sony or Apple, the point is these are all machines and it is the PERSONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE that makes the difference. I used to work for a major outdoor chain and catalog retailer. and we would take back anything. We didn't advertise it but most people knew. And you know what? business was, and is, unbelievabley good. I once was moaning and groaning because I had to remove a one year old tonneu (spelling?) cover on a pick up simply because the guy "did not like it" for a full refund. While I was performing the labor the guy went in the store and spent like $2,000.00 on product with significantly higher profit margins.

Wow, where did that come from? Too much coffee!! I think I will get off my soapbox now.

Last edited by Reldnew; 05-04-2003 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Update

I mailed a letter to the customer relations person at Dublin Toyota and she and the service manager called me today. I told the service manager, Dave Roche (sp?), about my concerns with the headgasket and he gave me a 6 month warranty on the heads. He is also going to do a block test in a couple weeks to check for combustion contaminants in the antifreeze (byproducts of a failed HG).

Something a little reassuring, but a little big brotherish, is he said the engine did not overheat because the computer recorded the temperature. So, there is a black box that records RPMS, temperature, etc.

Dave Roche also said that most dealers switch the antifreeze to green so they can tell later if the antifreeze has been changed. He reiterated what the first guy said...that the green is better for the head gaskets.

He explained the 2 generations of headgaskets too. The first HG fixes were done with the same poorly designed HGs. He said the first HGs had a staple that kept the 2 halves of the HG together and the staple corrodes and allows a leak. After 1999, toyota switched to another HG manufacturer which doesn't have the same problem.

I think I'm satisfied, what do you guys think?

Steve
Old 05-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like they have the ass kissing part down, and the comp seems nice but does this let them off the hook?
I'm really sorry your honnor, it will never happen again.
its sounds like you are not the only person that has had trouble with this dealer. let them know you are satisfied with their offer ( get some parts at cost ) but you feel toyota N. America still needs to have a record of what happened. perhaps give the owner of that dealership this thread so he can see the PR nightmare this has turned into..
might pay to tell them after you are satisfied with the work they will be doing.

VR

REPO
Old 05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I think I'd be satisfied with that too. I don't think the dealer will go any farther. It couldn't hurt though to send another one off to corporate though...
Old 05-13-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Just let them know that you don't want the same mechanic ever working on your vehicle and that you have the letter sitting and waiting to be dropped in a mailbox if you ever experience nothing less than 100% customer satisfaction at that dealership.

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got back from the dealer at 9:30pm tonight...Update