Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I added some Lights to my Rig today.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added some Lights to my Rig today.

So i had a pretty productive day today. I had acouple projects piling up so I decided go all out, and tackle them all in one day... and i succeeded. I really wanted to add some turn signal side markers and put a set of orange running lights (like the 4th gens, and caddys) . So i gathered my goodies and set out.

first off i had a set of side markers. I really wanted to go with the volkswagen setup, and even had a good hookup on a set of clear ones... but i didnt have harnesses. and at $26 a piece, i started looking at other options, so i remembered seeing these at the local bike shop

they were cheap - $14.95 and work great. i got the medium size.
-i decided to go in from the inside of the fender instead of pulling it off. plus 2 of the clips were broken anyway so it made it pretty easy. Also, these markers have a large plastic "nut" that threads on in the inside, so I had to have access to the inside of the fender. so i measured and drilled away. then i feathered the hole to a bit larger with the dremmer.. this is where i had my little mistake... i wasnt paying attention and boom- the dremel comes out of the hole and zip... a nice dime size gash in the fender - SOB! but oh well..

I wired them up to the turn signal wires and buttoned everythign back up... the whole thing took only 45 mins or so... pretty simple and straight forward.

finished set up-

So then i decided to tackle those pesky driving lights Ive been avioding. I really like the look of the 4th gens with the amber lights. and the caddys have them too... i was jealous... so i set out to solve this and make some formyself. First i had to find some lights... the pilots and hellas are nice, but I couldnt find them in amber. plus i needed to fab up some mounts. (ill get to that later) so once again, having access to alot of motorcycle accessories I turned to the good ol' trusty kuryakin company. They make very nice, high end lights and chrome goodies. I was intereseted in the lights. they make a nice all chrome (aka long lasting) vibration resistant light. so these would be nice. Plus as an added bonus, the set came with clear, red and AMBER lens, hot damn! so i picked up a pair at work for $60 and some change. not to shabby. plus the bulbs are LED (36 to be exact!) I liked this because I had planned on hooking them up to the corner markers (where i also have LEDs) i was glad for the LEDs in the lights because they would not draw much current through those little 22 guage or so corner light wires.

so away i went I make some custom brackets out of angle stock and some aluminum spacers. it worked well. so when all was set and done, i hooked up the lights and theyre super bright, brighter than expected. Im super happy with the results.

heres some pics

at night with corners

and full bore!

so when all was said and done Im super happy, the driving lights are just what i wanted, and the corner markers turned out good too. Hope everyone was as productive as I was today!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Those new lights look awesome. I really like the side marker lights as well. I wish I could have some productive weekends like that. I think it looks really good. Nice work.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

indeed an awesome install....i will have to get the side markers like that...can you get a pic at night of the turn signal on, wanna see how bright it is.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM

What about the ones on the roof? Lets see a picture with all them on too.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM

nice setup
Old 04-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

the roof ones arent hooked up. In PA, they need covers if thyre hooked up, and I never got covers for them. so the wires are just chillin' there. I put LEDs in the side markers also.

heres a pic of the light while on, you can see how bright it is in comparrison to the front marker

heres a very poor video. its the best i could do

the light is blinking steady, in the begining it looks like it blimps faster, but i walked in front of a poll. its as steady as the front marker is

Last edited by SnoViking; 04-09-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM

nice setup. looks great. all the details seemed to work out nicely
Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those side markers are sharp looking. Good job.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

they were alot easier to install than the VW ones looked like. the whole oval thing was throwing me off... with these, it was 1inch hole. (i used a hole saw and feathered it with the dremel)
Old 04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

update- had my first real night driving experience with the new orange lights. all i can say is wow! they dont throw light out super far, or put alot of light down. but what they do great is make all objects on the road orange. example. The alley behind my house is always littered with twigs and branches. well they glow orange now. on the highway, the reflectors in the middle of the lanes glow orange too... If anyone wants more info on this setup let me know. It has been the most safety-ish mod so far. im very very pleased
Old 04-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I would really like to see a writeup of the driving lights and how you mounted them.

Also, I have tried looking online for the Kuryakin 2319 lights and came up a tad short.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

I have had a couple requests to see the mounting bracket i made. I will be the first to admit that it is nothing special. I used a piece of angle stock that was about 7 inches long. Then i used 2 spacers I had laying around (to get the spacing just right). Then i also used metal tabs from old U bolts (the tabs that go across the top of the bolts) to secure the bottom part of the bracket. It is super solid and worked well. Here are some pictures of the bracket. The light grounds(-) through it self, which makes the wiring very easy. I then pulled off the corner light and connected the hot wire(+) (the only wire) from the light to the hot wire(+) on the corner light. I also put an inline fuse on each hot wire(+) from the running light to the corner light. I figured the LEDs werent pulling much amps, but it was a safety thing. I used a 10 amp fuse.

Also, If anyone is interested, Kuryakyn sells these light for $89.99 online plus shipping. I have access to them and get a discount and cant sell them for $70 shipped. Let me know.