Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

hummm mysterious crooked steering wheel syndrome??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hummm mysterious crooked steering wheel syndrome??

So I decided to rotate my tires today and to my dismay a truck that tracked straight and true now pulls to the left??? Its very weird I checked the tires psi all spot on at 34psi!!

Any Ideas or will I be making an alignment appointment.

Has this ever happened to anyone else
Old 08-10-2003, 04:39 PM

I must add these are road tires Goodyear wranger hp's 265 70's a very tame tire with up till now excellent road manners!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:23 PM

I'll bet its your tire wear. your tires were worn in where they were at before and when you switched them it changed where they were wearing. It might correct itself after a bit. Know what I mean?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

How long has it been since you rotated your tires the last time?
Old 08-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a combination of alignment and wear. If you're alignment is slightly off, but your front tires are worn just enough to offset that , then you'll track straight. Remove the wear factor and you're drifting. Drifting a lot if alignment and wear are now working together.
Did you rotate front/back/\back/front or in the X pattern?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:56 AM

I rotated front to back and back to front!!! And the pisser this is the first time ever that I have or had my tires rotated and the stearing wheel not shimmy. Its always something!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:18 AM

Try switching the front tires from left to right and see if the pull goes to the other side. If it dose you have a tire problem.

Sometime the tires will wear more on one edge then the other and they end up in a slight cone. If you roll a cone down a table top it will naturally turn in one direction. That maybe what your tires are doing. It is referred to as the conisity of the tire or some call it a radial pull.

The proper way to rotate the tires is move the drive tires to the front on the same side and the fronts the oposite side back. The reason for this is that normally unless you rear axle is a scew the tires will wear flat and the fronts normally will wear more on the outside edge. This is called the Modified X roatation and it is the best way to go. Doing this will put each tire in each position on the truck for an equal time and really extends their life.

If you want to work your spare into the rotation you do the modifided X rotation and then when you are done put the spare on the left front and do it just like that every single time you rotate tires. If you do this you will find that you will get a lot more life out of the tires. I got just under 100,000 miles out of my last set of Michelin LTX M/S tires.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-13-2003, 03:39 AM

So I switched fronts side to side! Well the pull has definately lessened but is still very apparent to me. So Gadget again always right

I have bent a lower control arm against the unbent this bent arm looked not so bad after my sledgeObandaid fix it.

I had it aligned forgot about it and got new tires

Any thoughts?

My plan new lower control arms!!!

Thanks a bunch for any comments

Chad