Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hummer H2

Old 12-19-2002, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer H2

i was wondering wat everyone thought about the H2s. personally, i dont like them... just by looks that is... capabilities, i dunno what they are. i like the orig hummer better....

but how capable are the H2s compared to yotas... im sure the H2 has LOTS of expensive little gadgets and toys, but when it comes down to crawling, and wheeling, how does it compare? it doesnt look like it would have a lot of articulation... being that the rear is straight and the front is IFS. its just a fancy top mounted to a tahoe chassis.

YOTAS RULE! H2's DROOL!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

I saw the car and driver on the H2. They look alright I'm not too impressed with the looks, but american general wouldn't let GM produce it unless it passed their tests. I remember car and driver saying its about half the cost and does about 80% of what the original does. Don't hesitate to correct me its been a while since I seen that episode.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:59 PM

I waiver between liking and not liking them. I'm mostly indifferent I guess then. They aren't my first choice (I like the H1 Humvee) but they are no slouch either. Lots of great features. The only 2 things I don't particularly like about them:

-kind of chunky & large
-too 'city-folk' for my taste compared to the original H1
(I know: I should talk! Buying a Ltd. w/leather hehe)

Oh well, just freely stating my confused opinion...

Un-biased comparison of the 4Runner/H2/Grand Cherokee here.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as off road performance, I don't think they'll do too bad other than them being too wide. They have the eaton e-locker in the rear, traction control, sliders, 4:10 gears, and 35in tires. The onboard air is cool too, don't know how fast it is though.

But whenever I see one I automatically think of the stereotypical SUV driver that would rather take it to the mall than a gravel road. I think the H2 is the epitomy of a mall runner.

The little D rings in the back are kinda cool looking though, although a little too small.

Steve
Old 12-19-2002, 06:43 PM

I can't wait to get one! That will be a couple of years however. They do claim it has 80% of the capabilities of the H1. It is narrower, but quite a bit taller. It is also more comfortable inside. On the H1s they actually bring the drivetrain right up into the cabin, so they really are not very comfortable to sit in, because the drivetrain is up to about your shoulder. The H2 keeps the drivetrain on the outside more so the inside is much more comfortable.

Granted, when we get one it may not see much off-roading, as the trails I hit are narrow with a lot of tight switchbacks (Western WA is all forest, after all!), but for me, anymore it is all about putting more metal between my family and anything that wants to hit us.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

at first i thought this was another whitey thread.

the h2's are alright. i'd drive one. i don't want to pay for one, but if one should happen to be given to me, i'd take it. but if i had to pick, i'll take my yota over any other car any day.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Here's my 2 cents worth of opinion....

I don't think I would get an H2 for on or off-road.

Something as big and heavy as that doesn't seem like the best offroad rig to me when the smaller and lighter rigs have proven themselves over the years.

For on-road use, there are a lot of safe cars out there that would be much more pleasant to drive and maneuver. I don't know how the H2 suspension compares to my 4Runner, but there are times when I'd sure like a suspension that would soak up some bumps. A Volvo or something like that with all wheel drive would be my choice if I was driving on the highway all the time. (A Volvo you say? Shows you how conservative I've gotten in my old age.)

Of course, if you need something big to pull a trailer or whatever, then thats a different story although there are other choices that I think look a whole lot better than the H2.

Alan
Old 12-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

YOTAS RULE! H2's DROOL!
Oh man Thank God I thought this was going to be another Whitey thread! The H2 looks good on paper but I wouldn't own one. I could build one BadA$$ Toyota for the price of one that I know would go more places than the H2!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:17 AM

H2's SUCK!

They do... they literally SUCK... !!!!

They suck FUEL like mad. They get 8-10 mpg! Waaaazzzup with that? Holy cow! You'd have to wheel from gas station to gas station.

Aside from that they are over accessorized, way over weight, and usually driven by 5' 1", 100 pound bleach blondes...

Maybe they started off with the right idea but the idea of a Caddy Hummer is just plain stupid.

All that and they are goofy looking a'la the Pontiac Aztec... hahaha!
Old 12-20-2002, 12:40 PM

I took one out for a test drive......my local Dealer has an off-road course that they let us take them on. The kid-dealer and I took a fully equipped (Warn winch, better intake, and "sport" exhaust) H2 on the trails and WE GOT IT STUCK!!! He had been bragging that it was unstoppable.....well we, I mean "I", sunk it in a ravine where the there was mud & water at the bottom and the BFG AT's wouldn't grip because the cleats got filled and made them slicks. The kid reached for his cell to call the Dealership to have an H1 come to pull us out. I asked him why he wanted to do that because he would then be the laughing stock of the entire Dealership.....I reminded him that we had a winch (which he didn't know how to use) and after using 3 trees, him losing his shoe in the muck, me teaching him to use the winch properly, and 45 minutes later we were out, un-locking the locker and rolling back to the Dealership fligging dirt clods all over every other vehicle within view.....it was a beautiful thing! :

I thought it was a nice Suburban with the barn-areodynamics package installed.

I'd take my $60,000 and buy a S/C Runner and have money left to play with cool accessories for it!!

David
Old 12-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Let me say, noooooot impressed. We are a hummer dealer, and have worked on about 10 so far. They are an avalanch under the sheet metal, and the electronics a trailblazer...
Old 12-20-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
I took one out for a test drive......my local Dealer has an off-road course that they let us take them on. The kid-dealer and I took a fully equipped (Warn winch, better intake, and "sport" exhaust) H2 on the trails and WE GOT IT STUCK!!! He had been bragging that it was unstoppable.....well we, I mean "I", sunk it in a ravine where the there was mud & water at the bottom and the BFG AT's wouldn't grip because the cleats got filled and made them slicks. The kid reached for his cell to call the Dealership to have an H1 come to pull us out. I asked him why he wanted to do that because he would then be the laughing stock of the entire Dealership.....I reminded him that we had a winch (which he didn't know how to use) and after using 3 trees, him losing his shoe in the muck, me teaching him to use the winch properly, and 45 minutes later we were out, un-locking the locker and rolling back to the Dealership fligging dirt clods all over every other vehicle within view.....it was a beautiful thing! :

David
total comedy!!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Do you think a stock 4x4 Runner would've made it through the muck (with stock tires)?

Just curious.

A buddy at work bought an H2. It's a nice looking truck in person.
It's always clean and my truck is always muddy... hmmmm.
He did mention that it guzzled a lot of fuel.

J
Old 12-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Leave it to GM/Chevrolet to produce another trendy and stupid looking vehicle. Look at that hideous looking heap they call the "Avalanche", and they have a Cadillac one too, can't remember what it's called. Also, how can I forget the "Aztec". Please. I don't think I am the only one who thinks this way. I'll stick with my 4Runner.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:54 PM

Try working on them for a living..
Old 12-21-2002, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong comparison

We should be comparing a Land Cruiser to that thing. I think the LC would spank the H2 offroad and it can seat one more person. Not to mention the reliability issues...
Old 12-22-2002, 01:58 PM

I looked at the H2, well, sort of, before I bought my '03 4Runner. I think I am biased against GM to start with, because on my last GM product (a 2000 Corvette) I felt that the build quality was pretty terrible. The vette was also noisier than my 96 Taco at normal highway speeds.

After looking at the H2, the interior felt and looked like standard GM garbage. This on top of a heavier, more gas guzzling chassis for very little benefit (to me).

I'm now just waiting for the S/C for my new ride.

-tpg
Old 12-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really liked it at first until i found out it uses just about all it's parts from GM vehicles. :mad:

The chassis is from a suburban, steering column from a trailblazer, etc. etc.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

FWIW -- for those of you not yet convinced that the H2 isn't quite ready for the trails, the opinion of some who are on the assembly line (they're made right down the road from me) is to wait a couple of years for AM Gen to work out the bugs. Right now they're "pounding 'em together with hammers," one worker said.

For now, I'll stick with my 'Runner...
Old 12-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

I dislike GM vehicles also, I can't picture myself ever buying one. Two of my buddies have them, ones a C/K 1500 regular cab, and the other is a Tahoe. They both seem to have one problem after the next. Oh, and the interior parts are low quality. GMC - Got More Crap pretty much sums it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hummer H2