Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy, Need some Tire Advice

Hi everyone,
Lonnnnnnngggggg time Toyota owner here.
I am on my 3rd pickup and 2nd 4-Runner.

I usually go with my instincts and alot of research on tires but this time I want some opinions on what you have.

I need tires for my wifes 3rd Gen 4Runner. I have 65k on the factory tires.
We bought the 1999 model and now she needs shoes.

I have been looking at mainly Michelins, I am fond of their reliability and treadwear. I am also interested in your opinions of the Bridgestone Revo A/T's and possibly the Yokohama Geolanders. Currently she has the optional 265/70 - 16 setup right now. I would like a slightly fatter tire.

We use this 4Runner for all of our long trips to Colorado and New Mexico. We also do exploring of old mine roads, etc. So I want a good all-around tough tire with smooth riding characteristics.

Comments please!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 AM

Bridgestone Dueler ATs (non-revos) are terrific all around tires. I have em, I love em. The Revos are probably very similar, and are very popular on the boards so I'm sure you'll get tons of comments.

I'm not a fan of Yokos personally, and I think Michelins are overpriced. Plus, the don't offer anything aggresive enough for me.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA
Hi everyone,
Lonnnnnnngggggg time Toyota owner here.
I am on my 3rd pickup and 2nd 4-Runner.

I usually go with my instincts and alot of research on tires but this time I want some opinions on what you have.

I need tires for my wifes 3rd Gen 4Runner. I have 65k on the factory tires.
We bought the 1999 model and now she needs shoes.

I have been looking at mainly Michelins, I am fond of their reliability and treadwear. I am also interested in your opinions of the Bridgestone Revo A/T's and possibly the Yokohama Geolanders. Currently she has the optional 265/70 - 16 setup right now. I would like a slightly fatter tire.

We use this 4Runner for all of our long trips to Colorado and New Mexico. We also do exploring of old mine roads, etc. So I want a good all-around tough tire with smooth riding characteristics.

Comments please!
Try the new Nitto Terra Grappler tires. You will love them.
I recently put them on my tacoma and they ride smooth and quiet. Plus they
will also give your 4-runner an aggressive look. They are classified as an
all-terrain tire. ( Discount Tire Direct handles them )
Old 04-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hi DavidA,

Slightly wider with all around Highway and a bit of off road. I recommend going to a 275/70/16 size then. This is wider and slightly larger in diameter than the 265/70/16. There are no problems with rubbing or any other issues with the 275s.

Dueler Revos and some of the Michelins can be found in the 275 size.
from TireTrack.com

Revos 275/70SR16 SL Price: $128

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV 275/70SR16 Price: $153

Michelin LTX M/S 275/70SR16 Price: $131

I just went from 275/70/16 LTX M/S to the Revos and really like the Revos. They look agressive handle better and make less road noise than the LTX M/S.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

All the tires you're considering come highly recommended from people around this board. I, myself, have only had experience with the Michelin Cross Terrains ... and have loved them. They are awesome in the rain and have held up very very well. (also, I'm near you so I'm out in the same weather as you .. my tires have done great)

But I do also hear good things about the Revos -- awhile back I was looking around on those tirerack.com websites and the tire websites that rate them, and it seems like the Revos have the highest ratings in every category. They don't look much more aggressive than the Michelins, so if you're looking for an aggressive look, the Revos and Michelins probably won't be what you're looking for.

Anyway, I know this doesn't help much, just wanted to say that I have the Michelins and they have run beautifully.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Here's pics of the Revos. The tread depth on these is 16/32nds.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:19 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I have the REVO's with about 31,000 miles on them. They are excellent tires and were bought mainly for the snowy backroads I drive to work. As much as I love them, I would consider another, less aggressive tire if I lived in Ft. Worth. Just MHO.

I had Michellin XLT's on my '90 4Runner and loved them, also.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:12 AM

Most people have not ever heard of this tire but it is the best on the market. Dunlop M-55, I heard about them from some guys on the Turbo diesel registry. It gives you a good highway ride (low noise level), you can't beat it off road and it's siped for ice and snow. Most of the guys even in the big trucks get 80K miles out of a set. The guys I know also used them on trucks in rock quaries so they are real tough. They are also good looking. I'll try and post a picture. My Toyo dealer did not know much about them but when he looked them up he said WOW. Check them out.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:34 AM

i currently have michelin ltx at's on my '89, they have about 30k miles on them and they look like new. they're a great highway tire, but not good for anything off road more than a fire road (i'd bet the mining roads are the same type of terrain, but i don't know). i also have bfg ta ko's on my '90. they're a great all-around tire. they're more biased to off road use than the michelin's, but still very good on road. i don't have enough miles on them to comment on wear. my dad has the michelin ltx at's on his '90 with about 80k miles on them and they're only now starting to show wear. my brother has bfg ta ko's on his '95 nissan pickup and they have about 20k on them and they aren't showing any wear yet.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Nic

Not to flame Pitbull since he mentioned Dunlops, but I have Dunlop Radial Rovers that came with my truck. The previous owner put them on and they are just plain awful. I have had one replaced already and I have yet to get them balanced so they don't shake at around 55-60mph.

I had them lug balanced last week with only a slight noticeable improvement. The mechanic where I had them balanced last said that probably the only cure would be to get new tires. That's a shame, because for all practical purposes, these are new.

I'm almost ready to just bite the bullet and get some Michelins. I think any other tire at this point would be an improvement.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:14 PM

I agree I would normally not recommend Dunlop's. The Dunlop M-55's are special. Most dealers will not have them in stock and won't know anything about them. If I was going to recommend a regular (popular) tire I would say Michelin LTX/MS for on road and access roads. I ran BFG AT/KO's on my 95 Landcruiser, they had 3/4 of their tread left when I traded it in with 47K miles on the tires. The BFG AT/KO's were great tires (a little loud) but they are on a lot of LC's for Offroad and on road.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like I am going with the Bridgestone Revos! I completely forgot that my sister-in-law works for the regional Firestone/Bridgestone distributor and can get me the tires, mounting and balancing, etc. for 35% off! So the tires themselves end up costing me around $99 each! Sweet! Too good to pass up!

I have to buy two sets, one for the 4Runner (265/70/16) and the other for my 91' ExtraCab 4x4 (31/10.50/15). I wanted to upsize the 4Runner tires but getting anything like a 285 on a 16 inch rim is pretty scarce apparently.

I hope they live up to my expecations! I will let you know when I get them on in a few weeks.

Thanks for the recommendations!