Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to use touch up paint to fix rock chips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to use touch up paint to fix rock chips?

What is the best way to touch up rock chips without putting the paint on and then it dries up in a blob vs. having dry up flush like the original paint? I have never figured out a good way. Any suggestions from people from the detailing industry?

Old 07-01-2002, 07:45 AM

Can't tell you for sure, but I would try putting on thin layers and letting it dry completely before you put on the next coat. Do this until it is flush and then put on a coat of wax to protect it. Putting paint on in thin layers is the best thing that you can do! Try that and let us know what happens! :fireman:
Old 07-01-2002, 09:32 AM

I've been told not to use the brush that comes with the touch-up paint, it causes the excess blobbing. Get a package of matches and pull one out. Using the torn side (not the side you light) dip it into the touch up paint and use that to apply it. It applies a much thinner layer so you may have to do multiple coats but it doesn't make blobs of touch-up paint on your truck.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

This response is not based on experience with this product, only from what I have heard. Have you tried the "colored" wax? I have heard from several people that it worked really well and you could not tell where any of the chips were. I have also heard the matchtip process works fairly well too. Anyhow, wish I could have been more help!

Mike
Old 07-01-2002, 09:58 AM

Wow. Thx for all the detail on that one Philly. I think I'll have to attempt this on some of the bigger rock chips and see how it goes.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
This response is not based on experience with this product, only from what I have heard. Have you tried the "colored" wax? I have heard from several people that it worked really well and you could not tell where any of the chips were. I have also heard the matchtip process works fairly well too. Anyhow, wish I could have been more help!

Mike
Thanks for all the research Phil at least I know where to start now.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:32 PM

Cool

Wow...lots of info there. It's good to know there are ways to tackle this problem. My wife and I have owned our chip repair biz over a year now...it grew out of my detail biz. We have the Imac touch up system and service dealerships here. As far as DIYS methods, the LANGKA product works well. You fill the chip with factory touch up (from the dealer) creating the dreded blob . Don't put too much, mini chips can be filled with a tooth pick dipped in the paint. Oh yeah, make sure the chip is free of wax, use a toothpick, a qiuck wipe of thinner. Let the paint dry...a day if you can. I think the Langka comes with a stiff plastic you wrap tightly with a piece of Tshirt or sheet. Anything rougher texture may not work as well. You block sand the blob with the Lanka until the blob levels out. If done right, the touch up will look good. Nothing is perfect short of repainting. The system we use has special fast drying paints and different chemicals which allow us to repair chips much faster. We can do at least 7 cars a day. My method (not done on the mainland) involves color sanding and buffing. I add this service to give a complete touch up/detail service to dealerships here. I charge more for it, the cars come out looking great. I've always been involved in painting of some sort (can you tell by my tech stuff? ) and it's my life now. Click on the business opportunity link on the Langka site to see the IMAC system. It's a great business if you like being your own boss. They will train you and you set up your own territory. (We have the whole island)...if you are interested, I can let you know the details.
butnut
Old 07-02-2002, 04:04 AM

Damn Phil, that is some detailed info. Thanks. I will have to use that when I try to touch-up some of my chips. That is great. Thanks again! :fireman:
Old 07-02-2002, 06:03 AM

I guess I opened a good can of WORMS