Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to replace transponder key lockset to non-transponder key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to replace transponder key lockset to non-transponder key?

My wife has many strong points, but keeping track of her car keys is not one of them. She's literally lost 5 or 6 transponder keys for her 1999 4runner, not to mention stealing my key to it and losing that as well. I've gone the ebay route and cut and programmed several myself, but it is expensive and annoying.

She is also good at locking her keys in the car. Tonight (AGAIN!) she did it and had to call a locksmith to break into her car. She's down to her last key, so I couldn't help her.

I would like to replace her transponder system with a set of regular locks (our other 4runner doesn't have transponders in the keys). I just want to have a bunch of cheap, regular keys on hand for when she loses one again.

A few questions:
What would be involved with removing the transponder junk in her 4runner - is it just a matter of swapping in a replacement non-transponder ignition lock cylinder, or is there additional hardware / wiring associated with the transponder that's currently installed? Will that make her keyless entry fob stop working?

I guess I just would need to re-key the new cylinder so it matches the door locks. Do the door locks have transponder circuitry as well, or is it just the ignition?

If I bought a locksmith the door locks and new ignition lock cylinders, could he rekey them to match the other 4runner so one key would work in both cars?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM

If I were you, I'd just go make a dozen simple copies of her key. Then cut the head off the 'last key' and tape the head up under the dash. The chip does not have to be in the key to work, just close by. Try it with one simple copy before you break the old key.

To really de-transponder the car, I suspect you need a new ECM, new Body ECM, and who knows what else.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM

I've been reading a little about transponder bypass modules. Has anyone installed one such as this one? Would that allow me to use non-transponder keys and continue using my remote keyless entry fob?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My wife used to lock her keys in the car, simple clicker fixed that problem as with a clicker she cannot lock her keys in the car.

As far as the transponder key, losing it and stealing yours, I bet she doesn't lose her phone. Tell her it's time to become a grown up.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDurk
If I were you, I'd just go make a dozen simple copies of her key. Then cut the head off the 'last key' and tape the head up under the dash. The chip does not have to be in the key to work, just close by. Try it with one simple copy before you break the old key.

To really de-transponder the car, I suspect you need a new ECM, new Body ECM, and who knows what else.

good but bad, in the event that someone attempts to steal the vehicle they will be successful due to the fact you allowed the transponder to remain close to the immobilizer nullifying its purpose.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Nah, I don't care about the transponder working. My other 4runner doesn't have one and it hasn't gotten stolen yet - lol
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

Your wife needs to walk a few miles every time she does something like this!!

That would cure her problem perhaps

Does she also lose her purse all the time??
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Actually, she spends most of her time resuscitating dying people at the hospital. She can't keep track of her keys, but she's pretty good at tracking their O2 saturation levels.

So, the guys at the shop selling that transponder bypass responded briefly to my inquery and said that "the bypass is intended for a remote starter". I guess I'm going to be reduced to epoxying the old key next to the transponder reader.

Last edited by pendrag; 11-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.