Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How much is too much for maintenance

Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is too much for maintenance

Hey guys Just wanted some opinions on something I need to get done. I drive a 00 runner limited 4x4 with 94K and my wife drives a 00 xterra 4x4 with 106K. Both of these vehicles are in need of some maintenance items and if one of you guys would give me a best guess as to how much I should expect to pay a reputable shop to do this for. And before I start I know I could do all of this myself but A. I don't have alot of spare time and B. I don't have a very big work area or many tools. Anyway here's what I want to get done on both vehicles.

Change all drivetrain fluids plus oil change
lube driveshaft
engine tune-up

So what should I expect to be a reasonable amount to pay per vehicle for these things to get done. I'm just looking to see if your guys and gals estimates are around what I was thinking.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Hard to say, my bet is 99% of us do it on our own. Ok as you said no time n tool, i hear ya, my guess is 450+
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 AM

not a whole lot, probably under $100... although I'm not exactly sure what a tuneup entails.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 AM

Hey Teuf are you saying $450 for both or one vehicle? Also I will be taking to a shop I trust and have used before so I will not be getting raped as much as if I would take them to the dealer. Also beatenyota tune-up for me would be new plugs, air filter, and etc.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM

OK let me re/guess, 250 per vehicle, i bet you could do engine tune up in an hour or less.Plugs, pcv, AF, Cap n Rotor, maybe plug wires?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Probably due for a timing belt, if it hasn't been done. A shop will charge about $1k for a complete timing belt job including water pump, pulleys, seals, coolant, belt, accessory belts....
Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the input so far guys. As far as the timing belt the Xterra's was done at 100K and as of now I am going to try and make 100K with the runner as well. Since the engine is non interference and everything runs strong I think I should be ok to wait about 6K more miles. I think the main thing I want to accomplish is getting both vehicles drivetrain fluid changed out and having the tranny on both drained and filled and /or flushed.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

yup , unless you have a lift, that job stinks, Dang gear lube is stinky. A shop 'l bang that out in a jiffy. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you said you don't have enough time, but you can't even squeeze an hour in somewhere and do the drive line stuff yourself? Save yourself a moderate amount of dough.

I would say your best bet is to get a quote from a few shops and come back here with it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM

I just got the fluid in both diffs, the transfer case and the oil changed for $170 something at Jiffy Lube. And I had them do the trans fluid for like $105. All done in less than two hours. I would've liked to do the stuff myself but I don't have a garage or any tools.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For labor $.01 is too much for that.

Hmmmmm:

Oil change = 25 (synthetic mobil 1)
Gear lube = 72 (synthetic - diffs, trans, tcase)
spark plugs = 12

109 for me to do a good overhaul on the truck
Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Hey crolison i'll take that offer if ya wanna drive up here to Pa and do it for me haha. In all honesty if Jiffy lube is charging $275 for all that I should be able to get that same stuff done to mine for maybe less than $200. My limited experience with Jiffy Lube at least in this area is that they are kinda expensive. My mechanic is pretty reasonable so that makes me optimistic. I'll call after work today and see what they quote me and post back my findings.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM

I would drive my truck off of a cliff before letting Jiffy Lube lay a finger on it. Please take it to a reputable shop.

That said, lubing the driveshaft? It takes all of 15 minutes to do. That's taking my sweet time. Drivetrain fluid? Maybe an hour at most. Engine tune up? All they do is just replace the spark plugs. That takes maybe 30 minutes. All of these take just a ratchet set. That's it. You can't use "I've got no time" excuse for this. I know you can squeeze in an hour or two here and there.

But to take it to a shop, I've been quoted over $100 just for the diff fluid change. Add in the X-fer case, transmission (which you should do), and all of that other stuff, I'd imagine that initial quote given earlier of $450 is probably right. Now, if you want to get synthetic fluids, add another $100. Big rip off, if you ask me.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM

I retrieve used AF from Quik lube pits, so i have time to look and listen. DON'T ever go there, a joke.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM

No I'm with you cackalak I would not take mine to Jiffy Lube. I was just saying that from people I've heard talk about them around here they are expensive so if the previous poster is getting all that done for $275 I feel my mechanic would do it for a chunk less. Could i squeez in an hour yes I could but I have 2 vehicles this needs done on both have slight differences in type of oil and things like that. Also It has been a long while since this type of service has been done so even if I pb blaster all fill and drain bolts it will still take me fighting with some to get them off and I also do not have the means or want to deal with all the used oil and making sure it doesn't spill and then getting it to an advance or autozone to recycle. So yes I know this is alot cheaper if done yourself but for previous reasons I'd rather pay some extra cash and not have to worry about it.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavy
Hey crolison i'll take that offer if ya wanna drive up here to Pa and do it for me haha. In all honesty if Jiffy lube is charging $275 for all that I should be able to get that same stuff done to mine for maybe less than $200. My limited experience with Jiffy Lube at least in this area is that they are kinda expensive. My mechanic is pretty reasonable so that makes me optimistic. I'll call after work today and see what they quote me and post back my findings.
20-30 bucks In labor i'll do the work but you have to take care of the waste oil and fluids

Prolly take me 20-30minutes to change plugs, 15 to change oil, 15-30 to change diffs and tcase.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gavy
No I'm with you cackalak I would not take mine to Jiffy Lube. I was just saying that from people I've heard talk about them around here they are expensive so if the previous poster is getting all that done for $275 I feel my mechanic would do it for a chunk less. Could i squeez in an hour yes I could but I have 2 vehicles this needs done on both have slight differences in type of oil and things like that. Also It has been a long while since this type of service has been done so even if I pb blaster all fill and drain bolts it will still take me fighting with some to get them off and I also do not have the means or want to deal with all the used oil and making sure it doesn't spill and then getting it to an advance or autozone to recycle. So yes I know this is alot cheaper if done yourself but for previous reasons I'd rather pay some extra cash and not have to worry about it.
Sounds like all you need is:

and

I had no problems opening the fill and drain bolts on my Tacoma. I did spray it with a little PB Blaster the night before, and with just a simple tug on the breaker bar, they came loose. I don't think it'll be that big of an issue for you. And you can just do these one at a time. It might take a month to get all of them done, but it's not like the diff's are going to blow up on you.

I am also busy with a family and house to take care of, but I can make a little bit of time to work on the cars. And maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd rather do the work myself, if I can, to make sure it was done right. I don't even trust the dealership service depts.

Last edited by cackalak han; 08-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 PM

yah, man. all those are simple. just get in there, heck i bought some cheap 75-90 gear oil for mine. cost a whole eight bucks, ten for a hand pump-which I strongly stress. 15 for the oil pan from napa, that don't leak. JJuUWWWWCANDOOOIT!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

If you refuse to do it yourself, does it really matter how much it will cost you????? Regardless of what the cost is you are going to have to pay it. What are you going to do, not have any maintenance done on your vehicles?? Obviously you really thought this question out. If it cost you 500 per vehicle it cost you 500 per vehicle. Its not like you having anything complex done. Just take it to jiffy lube already
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 AM

Dan, your brutal!! LOL

Where I work here are some costs:
$27 LOF (that would include your driveshaft lubed)
$69 Coolant exchange
$129 Complete trans fluid exchange

Labor rate is $84 per hour for the plugs, wires, diff services, transfer case service. Plus upping the price on parts.

I could see it exceeding $400

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much is too much for maintenance