Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

how much power gain can i expect from installing headers, throttle body, and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much power gain can i expect from installing headers, throttle body, and exhaust?

Well it looks like ill be keepin my 4runner for the next 6 years or so, so im tryin to get at much power out of it as possible. I've looked so far into doing headers, bored out throttle body, and a custom exhaust. will this improve the power on my 95 3.0l for what its worth the price ($1000)? What are my best options to get this thing some power? I've heard they're pretty helpless, but theres gotta be something to give it some power. has anyone ever regeared it? thanks for the help!
Old 11-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Headers: 10HP peak
Exhaust: 5HP peak
TB: 3HP throughout the range

In my opinion, headers and exhaust are a good route to take. You should be able to score the headers for $275, and have a custom exhaust made for $300. Skip the TB, its not worth it.

So for $600 you can have headers and exhaust - installing the headers yourself.

That should make the 3.slow more bearable. Re-gearing is another idea to improve acceleration slightly, but that will get spendy quick - especially with 4WD.

Best of luck.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:19 PM

What if I had it bored out? i'm guessing that would be A LOT of money though. It's only 2wd so maybe regearing wouldnt be to hard. Would it have a vast improvement you think? Also, would it help any to have dual exhaust, instead of just single exhaust? I've always wanted to do an engine swap, but it always seemed like itd be too much money. so pretty much headers and exhaust will do the most justice to get power? Should i go with downey headers, or someone else?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

If I had the 3.slow, I would go with Downey headers and a custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust. I would also do the ISR mod (do a search for the 3.0) and try and open up the intake in anyway possible. Since I would not be off-roading in a 2WD, I would try and find (or design) my own cold air intake too.

Headers and exhaust all the way.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:54 PM

anybody gotten there heads ported by doa racing? what work would i have to do if i didnt get the "turn key" package? www.doaracingengines.com <- that should be the website to find the info im talking about
Old 11-27-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add a TRD sticker for 5 hp...
Old 11-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Head porting is $$ and a lot of work to R&R the heads. By that time, you will have spent the time and money for a 3.4 swap, or a 3rd gen with a 3.4.

Head porting does work. With DOA heads, headers, exhaust, you might be up around the 3.4HP range. I doubt the TQ would be the same though.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:20 AM

If you check my sig I went with everything plus more. Do the mods yourself then you can spend more! The Downey headers and exhaust system gave the biggest improvement. All the pieces are provided in the Downey exhaust system so there's no need for a custom installation. I went with the Downey freeflow air filter but if you're creative you can save money here by putting together your own package. (I can't understand why freeflow systems cost so much. All it is is a bunch of tubing and a filter!) For the electric fan conversion you can always go with a Taurus fan from the salvage yard. (You'll get a increase in both power and gas mileage!) Bored out throttle body will probably give you the smallest "bang for the buck", although you will feel an improvement. In my opinion you should change gears only if you have bigger tires. Replacing gears is the only mod left for me but ... well, who knows?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:19 PM

I did the DOA port and polish and reground cams on my 3.0L. I went with the bare head porting to save money. My local shop had a heck of a time setting it all back up. It needs to be shimmed with different shims and the valve guides will need to be pressed out beforehand and pressed back in after and such. I spent as much money the way I did it and a lot more time than if Id went with the turn key package. My vote is for the turnkey unless you know up front the cost of resetting everything back up with new guides, shims and possably valves also and it ends up a lot less than the turnkey. Turnkey also insures its all setup proper also. Be aware that for the headwork to function at its best, you will need a full 2.5" custom exhaust. Tim will explain. Try to talk one on one with him on the phone as I think his email answers suck. When compared with the 3.4L, its still slower, but it is an improvement over what I had before. BTW, I had to have head work done anyway, otherwise Id never have paid the price to have it done just to increase power. Look over some of my older posts for some more info. Good luck.