Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How many of you are considering the IFS locker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you are considering the IFS locker?

Hey all-
I just e-mail Off Road Solutions to find out how much it would cost to have the ARB front diff locker and manual hub conversion installed.
Just wondering how many of you are thinking about the front locker, too?
Old 03-03-2003, 03:54 AM

I'm going to get one, but it's going to be a a little while. I'm going to get one for the rear too. Any news on the fuel atomizer and heat exchanger writeups yet?

Chris
Old 03-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

I plan to drop in the IFS ARB some time this year. Hopefully by Fall at the latest.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'll be doing the manual hub conversion myself this summer sometime, hopefully. then later in the fall I'll spring for the front and rear arb lockers and install them. gotta space it out because of the cost.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
I'll be doing the manual hub conversion myself this summer sometime, hopefully. then later in the fall I'll spring for the front and rear arb lockers and install them. gotta space it out because of the cost.
you realize how hard the install for manual hubs is? :pat:
Old 03-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

That's why I called ORS. I figured labor might be a little less on the ARB install because the axles have to be removed anyway. And since the axles are going to be removed, why not replace them with the manual hubs?

[Homer voice]Mmmm...front and rear lockers[Homer voice]

Gettin' really excited for spring and summer to get here. The Slaughterhouse run was just a tease. I want to 4 wheel more!

Last edited by HaveBlue; 03-03-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:40 AM

Hey haveblue,

Haveblue,

All other names taken so is pulling your leg.

The manual hub conversion takes all of 15 min per side and you could almost teach my dog how to do it.

It will work better with the axles on the vehicle that way you can lock it in 4wd to stop the half shafts from spinning as you losen or tighten the center bolt.

Find a junk/salvage yard and pick the hubs up and then look for the writeups on this board. Or just use a hayes or chiltons.

9-10 hubs in the junkyard if not taken off work like new. Of course the hubs I got from the yard one doesnt work that smooth because someone had jerked it off and hit the dial in the center with the hammer. Problebly impatient. It was sitting covered in a rag on the driver seat.

Brass drift is a must just so you dont damage the studs. If you are pulling them of the donor truck tap the studs slightly towards the center and the cone washers come our pretty easy.

Lockers might be in order for my 1995 in about 5 years, gotta budget for them. Plus my wife will have something else to drive by then.

Mike
Old 03-03-2003, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hey haveblue,

The manual hub conversion takes all of 15 min per side and you could almost teach my dog how to do it.

You have a darn smart dog!

Ryan is right on the money.

I am thinking about a front locker, mostly I am thinking that I wish I could figure out which fuse blew so mine would work again.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:21 AM
CTB

Like Adrian said, Ryan is right. The manual hub swap on 3rd Gen's takes a lot of work, skills, and tools. Not nearly as easy as on a 2nd Gen.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:24 PM

My ARB front locker is sitting right in front of me on my desk. As soon as the weather breaks and I am sure we are done with snow in my area, I am going to yank out that front diff and get busy!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 03-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

The ARB front locker is well worth your time I love mine and it makes just as big a difference, if not more than locking the rear.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Hey haveblue,

Originally posted by Hokiez97
Haveblue,

Find a junk/salvage yard and pick the hubs up and then look for the writeups on this board. Or just use a hayes or chiltons.

Mike
its not that easy mike .

if so, dont you think everyone would do that? the kit alone is close to $1000, plus all the labor as this is not a garage job.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:54 PM

I think you're thinking of off road solutions kit. He's just talking about the manual hubs, not the cv joints, axle shafts and all of that stuff. I'd like to do the arb, but I don't have the money. It's great for people that want the ride of ifs and don't need the articulation of a solid axle.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Off Road Solutions is the only company offering the manual hub conversion for the 3rd gens.
Not to sound like a jerk, but I was actually talking about the ORS kit which is quite labor intensive.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by oly884
I think you're thinking of off road solutions kit. He's just talking about the manual hubs, not the cv joints, axle shafts and all of that stuff. I'd like to do the arb, but I don't have the money. It's great for people that want the ride of ifs and don't need the articulation of a solid axle.
thats my point, he's wrong. 3rd gens cant just swap out the hubs, you gotta get the ORS kit.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:42 PM

The process Hokie is describing is that of an 86-95 runner, not a 3rd gen. Find me a yard that has a bunch of 3rd gen hubs sitting around.

RT is right, period.

Gadget, are you adding hubs too? I have not seen any pics of the new wheeler since the tire talk.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
The process Hokie is describing is that of an 86-95 runner, not a 3rd gen. Find me a yard that has a bunch of 3rd gen hubs sitting around.
I've seen manual hubs on late model Tacos. I know the ORS system uses some Taco parts, but if you found a Taco donor, could you pull the guts off that and swap out the parts?

I have a 2nd Gen, so I'm just stirring the pot...
Old 03-03-2003, 03:59 PM

BTW, I plan to do the ARB in the IFS. I'm going to make a run of using the IFS for a while (a SAS is a few years out likely).

I've seen (for the rear) complete 3rds setup with the ARB in it for $1500 or so. Since I'm not regearing, would I be better off just having the locker installed locally (if I can find a reputable shop!?!?!). If I got the complete 3rd is there any special equipment needed to swap it in myself?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
you realize how hard the install for manual hubs is? :pat:
Yes, I got the equipment and the desire to do it. I never have been one to have someone else do things for me. I feel I can really be proud of having something on my runner if I do it myself. plus if I do it, I can show others how.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HaveBlue
That's why I called ORS. I figured labor might be a little less on the ARB install because the axles have to be removed anyway. And since the axles are going to be removed, why not replace them with the manual hubs?
I wouldn't be able to drive my runner from houston to where ever off road solutions is to have the work done.

Quick Reply: How many of you are considering the IFS locker?