Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How loud are YOUR headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How loud are YOUR headers?

I found a set of Pace Setter headers at GI Joes for 50 bucks after som eone returned them. I slapped them on my truck(1991 standardcab 22re). First off I broke 1 bolt(stuck in the cyldiner head now) getting the stock stuff off so this could have something to do with the noise(some one more experienced tell me if this is the major cuase of my exhost noise) but these headers are increidbly loud. It sounds like a god damn motorcycle. Are ALL headers this loud or does this brand suck or do i need to figure out how to get that half a bolt out of my cylder head and get a new bolt in there. Thanks for your input.
-Joe
Old 05-24-2004, 10:27 PM

dunno about other headers, but the TRD headers for the 5VZ are loud.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a DynoMax muffler put on last year along with a hi-flow cat and 2.25 in exhaust. The "tone" was noticably more aggressive and a little louder. A couple of weeks ago I was finally able to get Downey headers put on, and I gotta tell ya, there's not much of a difference. Maybe slightly louder, but not much variation at all.

Unfortunately, I can say the same thing about the performance gain (well, before I threw a rod last night).

Ed
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 AM

If it sounds like the kinda put-put sound of a motorcycle near idle, then its definitely an exhaust leak. Check around all the connections on the headers...could be at a different spot than the manifold.

My 3RZ headers didn't sound louder at all, but performance was increased. Also, your engine compartment is going to run hotter...so you might want to look into some wraps for the headers.

Jim
Old 05-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

My 5VZ is quiter after installing Edelbrock headers.

You definitely have a leak. Fix that stud by using an "EZ out" very carefully.
I replaced an exhaust stud on a 92 Maxima SE, and it took me 6 hours. It should be much easier on a 4-banger depending on which stud broke.

BTW: Header wrap will eventually eat a hole in the header primary, especially with the thin-gauge metal found on Pacesetter headers. I would coat them if you can afford it, otherwise I would leave them as is.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-25-2004 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:42 AM

I just got a thorley header on last week, I haven't varified yet...waiting to fill the tank, but I think I'm getting worse mileage now. What the hell? I was trying to make my engine more efficient to get better mileage. I put on the thorley tri y header, a free flow cat, a flomaster 40 and All new piping.

Just wondering if anyonelse experienced this.

As far as sound my thorley made it a little more noticable in the high frequencies. It's not overbearing, but the exaust noise definitely eminates more from the front as well now, especially when it is revved.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I just got a thorley header on last week, I haven't varified yet...waiting to fill the tank, but I think I'm getting worse mileage now. What the hell? I was trying to make my engine more efficient to get better mileage. I put on the thorley tri y header, a free flow cat, a flomaster 40 and All new piping.

Just wondering if anyonelse experienced this.
Headers and aftermarket exhaust increase the scavenging characteristics of the exhaust. They also tend to move the torque and HP peak higher, which means you may have your "foot in it" during daily driving. Headers/exhaust often allows for a greater gulp of air just before the combustion process in each chamber. It can also reduce the head temperature slightly. Put all this together and you have a recipe for slightly higher fuel consumption. That and flooring it everywhere to experience the new found power!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:34 AM

Dang. I got the tri y header because I was told that it was in the lower rpm range that I would see improvements. And since that is where daily driving takes place I would consequently see improved mileage. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I am expecting. We'll see when I fill up and get some numbers. Perhaps I'm still pushing hard to hear the new sound.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:08 AM

Dang. I got the tri y header because I was told that it was in the lower rpm range that I would see improvements. And since that is where daily driving takes place I would consequently see improved mileage. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I am expecting. We'll see when I fill up and get some numbers. Perhaps I'm still pushing hard to hear the new sound.

Did you do anything on the front side to free up more air going in? I have done alot on the front side to get more air in and it has made improvments in mpg, was getting 12 now I'm up to about 18.5. Just a thought.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 AM

You probably have a leak. I've got the pacesetter and like it pretty good. If you used the gaskets that came with the header, you better plan on going ahead and getting a set of Fel-Pro's. The pacesetter gaskets rotted on my after a month or two. As for the broken bolt, try the easy-out but if that doesn't work, you will have to try a heli-coil kit (10x1.25). I had to do this because I got one of my holes cross-threaded.

For the noise, some headers are gonna be a little noisier naturally, but it shouldn't be much. I've got the header and a dual out flowmaster 40, so mine's loud as hell anyway, but sounds damn good for a 4-banger. I wouldn't recommend wrapping the header because of the rot mentioned by 96 Runner. One of my buddies with a chevy wrapped his headers and said it caused em to rot.

As you go along with most any performance mods, you're going to lose milage. Its just a sacrifice you'll have to make.

my $.02
Old 05-25-2004, 10:35 AM

About this loud:

pretty loud, huh?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Actually, differences in design will help in different RPM ranges. I think the Tri-Y design helps throughout the entire range, my particular brand and engine combo works on the low-mid range. 4-1 style headers work on the high-end of the RPM range. Check with your manufacturer for details...

Jim
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
BTW: Header wrap will eventually eat a hole in the header primary, especially with the thin-gauge metal found on Pacesetter headers. I would coat them if you can afford it, otherwise I would leave them as is.
I've read that other places too...but how is that different than coating them? Is the coat just not as efficient as the wrap?

Jim
Old 05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jruz
I've read that other places too...but how is that different than coating them? Is the coat just not as efficient as the wrap?

Jim
Well don't get me wrong, the wrap works. I think the problem is that moisture get's under the wrap, eventually eating the tube. Also, if you happen to "over rap" or "under wrap" you can get some temp flux on the header, which over time will cause it to fail.

My friend had wrap on his Pathfinder headers, and after about 2 years each header (its a V6) had a hole in one of the primaries. Doh!

The coating is better because it is permanent, the drawback is that it is way more expensive (but not in the long run).
Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you got "all new piping" what size pipe was used? If it's too big, you'll lose power and thus be buring more fuel to get the power you remember.

Your profile says you have the 2.2, right? If so, then I don't think the exhaust piping should be any larger than 2 1/4".
Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 PM

Well don't get me wrong, the wrap works. I think the problem is that moisture get's under the wrap, eventually eating the tube. Also, if you happen to "over rap" or "under wrap" you can get some temp flux on the header, which over time will cause it to fail.

My friend had wrap on his Pathfinder headers, and after about 2 years each header (its a V6) had a hole in one of the primaries. Doh!

The coating is better because it is permanent, the drawback is that it is way more expensive (but not in the long run).
Well...we'll see how it goes. At this point, the wrap cut down drastically on the heat. If they kick the buck due to the wrap I'll just buy another set. I've had these headers - http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html - for about 4 years without a hitch, and the wrap for about 1 year.

Jim
Old 05-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jruz
Well...we'll see how it goes. At this point, the wrap cut down drastically on the heat. If they kick the buck due to the wrap I'll just buy another set. I've had these headers - http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/triheaders.html - for about 4 years without a hitch, and the wrap for about 1 year.

Jim
That's great for the climate you live in! I hope they last. They might be a heavier gauge than the Pacesetters, which would definitely help.

BTW: My buddies Pathy has the Pacesetters and he lives in Redmond.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Headers and aftermarket exhaust increase the scavenging characteristics of the exhaust. They also tend to move the torque and HP peak higher, which means you may have your "foot in it" during daily driving. Headers/exhaust often allows for a greater gulp of air just before the combustion process in each chamber. It can also reduce the head temperature slightly. Put all this together and you have a recipe for slightly higher fuel consumption. That and flooring it everywhere to experience the new found power!
Thanks man. I think I have now decided not to get a header for my 22re.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM

The guy at the muffler shop said to do 2.5, I'm pretty sure he did that. Would 1/4 inch make that big of a difference?? I thought the idea was to get rid of air anyway.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

The guy at the muffler shop said to do 2.5, I'm pretty sure he did that. Would 1/4 inch make that big of a difference?? I thought the idea was to get rid of air anyway.
Exhaust pipe sizes are a subject unto themselves, but here are a few general guidelines from a man who knows. Although many subscribe to the "huge is best" theory of pipe selection, Jones points out that bigger is not necessarily better, and this is coming from a man with an impressive engineering and manufacturing background. Jones advises that while pipes that are too small can increase backpressure, they must not be so large that gas velocity drops off. Fast moving gasses help evacuate the cylinders, which is often referred to as the scavenging effect. And while larger pipes may reduce backpressure (the industry standard is 2.8 lbs with 1.8 to 2.2 lbs believed to be the optimum), Jones points out that oversize pipes will result in lower exhaust gas velocity, which reduces the scavenging effect, which reduces low-end torque.
Brought to you by: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0204sr_exhaust/

I think you are way too big at 2.5" on a 22RE.

Quick Reply: How loud are YOUR headers?