Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How I ruined my 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I ruined my 4runner

Let me start by saying that I LOVE my 4runners (97 SR5, 03 Sport). I have spent many hundreds of hours (and probably many thousands of dollars) fixing, upgrading, and personalizing them to my needs and wants.

I bought the 97 back in 2005 after I returned from Iraq. I paid cash for it and the truck has never owed me a dime. The 4runner had 130k on it and drove and ran like it was brand new. Now with 250k on the clock, I have only performed routine maintenance and have had ONE issues with it in that time, a failed starter motor. Reliability. Check.

However, in my quest to upgrade the truck along the way for mild offroading a few performance modifications, and as a DD, I have completely and utterly ruined it. The truck currently sits on OME 906 and comfort shock in the rear and tall 99 springs (top spacer) with Tokico shocks up front. The ride is... shock tarts.
I never ridden in a vehicle that is stiffer and as bumpy as my 4runner. This has ,been the case since the day it was installed, to today with roughly ~75k on the components. The truck does handle better, but its not worth it to get beat up every time I hop in the truck and head down the road.

My second issue is the exhaust. A few years back I whacked the muffler off of rock while offroad and left a decent dent it. From recommendations on this board I decided to go with an aftermarket exhaust (magnaflow 18"). Most claimed it to be only slightly louder than stock, which is what I wanted. Upon installing it I found that it wasn't loud, it was just... well, loud. The drone is amazing. I have never heard something so terrible at ~2000 rpm's. I set out to minimize the drone and spent many hours and monies trying to make the cabin quiet (dynamat throughout, etc), with no success. Either I have hyper senstive hearing (With which my wife would disagree), or you folks who like this setup, have serious hearing loss. I'll blame myslef for now...

Bottom line; I can ride in my truck for about 20 minutes before I want to start punching myself because surely it will be more pleasant. With great regret, I will likely be getting rid of the truck sooner rather than later. I can no longer take the assault that is my personalized 4runner. I was really hoping to ride her to the grave.

--------

Before I get flamed, I wanted to add a huge thanks to the board for all the help along the way with my 4runners. I truly do love these vehicles and have enjoyed working on them throughout the years.

- Nathan

Last edited by vital22re; 01-27-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 AM

Is there an alternative? Stock suspension, softer shocks, more mellow exhaust.. These are all options! There's still time!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM

I'm considering going back. I REALLY would like to keep small lift but I don't see to many alternatives.

It really depends on whether or not the wife wants a new car. If so.. both 4runners are gone. It may even be American made...
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
There's no reason a small lift needs to ride horribly. Either go back to stock, or try a different front shock (like the Bilstein 5100's).

As for the exhaust, just take it by a muffler shop, explain your problem, have them stick a 'real' muffler on it. I have a 51 year old hot rod Volvo with a ridiculously loud exhaust. It's fun in small doses, but anything over 15 minutes it's just painful (I wear earplugs for longer drives). It's not a mystery on how to fix it, though.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 AM

Agreed. All things are "fixable"... but I guess that's my point, that's what I was trying to do when I "fixed" it the first time.

I really just wanted to provide a different perspective. While I think OME makes some great stuff... it's not for everyone. I think it's also important to note, that with the 4runner (3rd Gen), I'm not convinced you can have your cake and eat it to. If you want a COMFORTABLE DD with some offroading chops, buy a 4th gen.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
What're you used to driving? luxury vehicles? anything IFS has the best ride possible, sure it gets slightly stiffer when you lift it, but its still nothing compared to an SAS'd rig, and even then its not bad ( I daily drive a 1st gen 4Runner )

a 4th gen wont be any different. Some come with rear air bag support suspension, but putting a lift on it is gonna yield the same results.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:01 AM

There's still time! i've never been a fan of magna-blow components, i think they're junk. IF you keep it, either get another factory muffler or go with borla. borla sells expensive stuff but one does get what they pay for (at least when it comes to certain things).
as for the ride, maaaaaybe you just need a set of air ride seats? I DD a first gen with no comfort issues, but then again i never minded icky poo rides of 7-tons.

Last edited by vital22re; 01-27-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rowdydudeman
There's still time! i've never been a fan of magna-blow components, i think they're junk. IF you keep it, either get another factory muffler or go with borla. borla sells expensive stuff but one does get what they pay for (at least when it comes to certain things).
as for the ride, maaaaaybe you just need a set of air ride seats? I DD a first gen with no comfort issues, but then again i never minded the icky poo poo rides of 7-tons.
I've personally compared a borla turbo muffler 14" to a magnaflow 14" and its the same exact thing. both are stainless steel, both are a straight through design. one just has magnaflow on it, and one is imprinted with borla. also, the borla is 150 bucks, and the magnaflow is 80. up to you.

Last edited by vital22re; 01-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I've personally compared a borla turbo muffler 14" to a magnaflow 14" and its the same exact thing. both are stainless steel, both are a straight through design. one just has magnaflow on it, and one is imprinted with borla. also, the borla is 150 bucks, and the magnaflow is 80. up to you.
Wasn't it your runner with the Borla that sounded like sex?

To OP.. Keep your Runner and mend the issues. Ride her to her grave as you two were intended to do.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Duke
Wasn't it your runner with the Borla that sounded like sex?
With the 3vz, yeah. but I have a magnaflow on my current 4Runner with the 3vz and its the same exact muffler, but 60 dollars cheaper. lol
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Funny you should bring this up. I also have an 18" Magnaflow (and I hope I wasn't a big part of your decision to go that route now), that as of recently is getting on my nerves due to freeway drone. I went to the local exhaust shop that welded it on to ask about adding a resonator. I was told there isn't enough room but there is room to cram a 24" Magnaflow in to the tune of $330. With no assurance that will fix the problem I may go back to stock as well. Being S/C'ed I know that will knock some performance off my truck. So I feel your pain.
We have a 4th Gen 4Runner as well - and they are quiet and powerful but not as capable off road thanks to the over-zealous traction control. If you want a better ride and great capability off-road just go Toytec or Sonoran. Better ride than stock...its what I'm saving my pennies for.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM

I'm about 45 mins from you down 95s. If you decide to revert back let me know. I'll buy whatever you wanna sell.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Is your experience like this?

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...magnaflow.html
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
When my factory muffler started failing a year or so ago, I thought I'd save a few dollars and went with 'direct-fit' aftermarket (made in the US, flange to flange). It was terrible. Only slightly louder, but the drone sealed its fate.

Within a week I paid more than $300 for a new factory muffler. Sold the other one on Craigslist for half of what I paid...

Andreas
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Those OME "Comfort" shocks are also contributing to your harsh ride. I had the same complaint and recently replaced my OME shocks with Bilstein 5125s and it made a WORLD of difference. Even if you don't go Bilstein, I would look for a softer valved shock that is economical and see if that helps with your ride. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM

On the exhaust issue, I recommend looking into the Dynomax VT. There were some complaints with rattling on the first production run but that has since been resolved, so keep that in mind if you look at the reviews.

I love how quiet my Ford is stock (have forgotten it was running once or twice, while I was in the cab), but at the same time I want to hear it occasionally. My options came down to either an electric cutout to divert exhaust through the stock muffler when closed and whatever I wanted when open, or a Dynomax VT. I have to say I was skeptical about the VT at first but I'm now a believer. Stock quiet when cruising and a nice mellow rumble when getting on it. Zero drone.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM

I've done the OME thing and a few other lifts. I know I'll get shot down for this, but ALL of them ruin the 4runner.

Want a good suspension that will give most of you another inch or so and a great ride? Use factory 1999 springs and Trekmaster shocks.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Yeah it is a body on frame 4wd vehicle with a lift. So you have to keep your expectations realistic.

There is also more to the way a vehicle rides than springs and shocks. Body mounts, bushings, motor mounts, even the tires if they are old the rubber can be hard as rock and make the ride crappy.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM

Get rid of those OME shocks...they suck. There is nothing "comfort" about them. I have them and am counting the days to get rid of them.
Compared to my wife's stock 98, mine rides a lot firmer, but it is a truck with an altered suspension. Nothing will ever be as good as stock. That being said, you can definitely improve.
Bilstein 5100s (Tundra) up front will soften the ride. For the rear, go wither Trekmaster or Billy 5100s...I've ridden on both and they are both nice.

I have the same muffler, and I really like mine, so I have no advice for you there...
Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Potomacduck
I've done the OME thing and a few other lifts. I know I'll get shot down for this, but ALL of them ruin the 4runner.

Want a good suspension that will give most of you another inch or so and a great ride? Use factory 1999 springs and Trekmaster shocks.

This was a the original lift I had on the truck and it was nice. I'm not sure it would clear my tires now...

Quick Reply: How I ruined my 4runner