Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How hard of a motor swap...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard of a motor swap...?

88 4runner

Looking to put either a chevy 305 or 350. Here is my question. What is easier to swap in, a chevy 305 or a chevy 350? And what do i have to do to swap them into the 4runner? Customs mounts?chevy trans? I thought there was a bracket to mount the stock toyota trans to a chevy 350. any help or write ups would be GREAT!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Downey or advanceadaptors. Been try to get the parts up myself but mine is carburated
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
350 and 305 are exactly the same in almost everyway except for displacement. I suppose knowing that would be important before trying something like this. From what I have heard the Ford V8 is much easier to shoehorn in because its a bit smaller and the dist. sits upfront so there is more firewall clearance.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

stay with toyota, I put a 350 in a FJ40, Biggest mistake I ever made
Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM

can i swap in a newer 4runner V6? How hard is that to do?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might have to do some searching for a late model swap, but I would definately stay with a Toyota motor.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
can i swap in a newer 4runner V6? How hard is that to do?
if your going to do a v6 you have to make it worth your time and get the 3.4l, it is not too hard from what i hear if you have the whole engine, computer, and wire harness. Someone makes an adapter for the engine to body wiring. Then the engine is taller so you have to cut a hole in your hood and ad a scoop or something.

In all seriousness I think you really need to consider what you want from your truck. For almost all aplications I can think of, dollar for dollar you can't beat good running stock motor. The 22re is going to be more reliable than anything out there and with the right gears and maybe a duel tcase can outwheel the piss out of anything.

I say this because I used to be of the small block in anything is the coolest thing ever school of thought. But after a handfull of smallblocks a toyota v6 and 4cyl, I am the happiest with the 22re hands down.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:54 PM

if you enjoy working on your rig, then do a V8 swap. If you have lots of money to pay someone to work on your rig, then do a V8 swap. If you have a hard time changing your oil, or pinch pennies, I would stay away from it.

V8 swaps require a lot of fabrication. Fabrication costs $$$, so unless you dont have the skills, have the money.

But, let me say this. V8 swaps are fun, unique, and the power is great. You should also consider the SAS, as the V8's fit better with that, than the IFS. But, you will break things, and again. Broken things require skills, or money to fix.

See a pattern here?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

" Toyota trucks earned a reputation for reliability long ago, but they also have a reputation for being grossly underpowerd. The four- and six-cylinder engines in these trucks will run forever, but dont askthem to run anywhere quickly. So when the stock engine finally gives up the ghost or you've simply had it with 45-mph assaults on mountin grades, it's time to consider swapping the stocker for a domestic V-6 or V8.
There are several possible engine candidates for Toyotas. Early engine swaps used Buick V-6 engines, but these days the Chevy 4.3L V-6 is used for most swaps. Both of these V-6 engines offer greater power than all but the most recent six-cylinder Toyota engines, excellent fitment in the tight engine compartment of Toy trucks, and less strain on the rest of the Toyota drivetrain. Both Ford and Chevy V-8 conversions are also possible, and according to Advance, the Ford 302 fits better in these engine compartments because it is slightly narrower than the Chevy V-8's. Regardless, fitment becomes a critical issue with any V-8 swap, and more parts and modifications are required to work properly.
Many of the factors for both a V-6 and a V-8 swap depend on whether the truck is equipped with a solid axle ( 85 or earlier) or IFS ( 86 or later). For example, oilpan modificationsare required for IFS trucks in many situations, but a solid axle Toy normally doesn't require modifications. Engine mount type and location also depends on the front suspension. In any case, a minimum 2 inch suspension lift is strongly recomended, as is a 2inch body lift for maximum clearance. Other engine compartment fitment concerns include slight firewall clearance for HEI ignition systems, obtaining a combination of ram's horn and log-style exhast manifolds if headers aren't used, and using a oil filter relocation kit on certain applications.
Some original engine accessories can be retained, but using all the accessories from the transplanted engine is recomended when using a late model engine with serpintine belt. These accessories, along with gauges and sensors, can be adapted to work with the Toyota caponents. Fuel Injection swaps can be accomplished with the help of Howell, wich manufactors the neccasary componants for TBI, TPI, and even Vortec applications. Cooling modifications include a three or four core radiator as well as a quality flex fan.
The changes needed for the rest of the drivetrain depend on what engine, transmission, and transfercase combination is used.The stock five-speed manuals in '85-and-later vehicles have proven to hold up well with V-6 applications, and according to Advance, they can also survive behind a V-8 as long as the driver is conservative. Adaptors are also available to mate a TH350, TH700R4, a C4, an NV4500,a T18, and Muncie car four speeds to the existing Toyota transfer cases and all these are much more capable of handling the grunt of a V-8 engine. Several adapter lenghts are avalible for most of of these applications, eliminating the need for driveshaft modifications. Advance claims these the transfer cases and axles have proven to be strong enough for all the V-8s, but we've seen people devolop axle problems in severe duty applications, especially with the IFS front ends."
4x4 Garage
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kris
if you enjoy working on your rig, then do a V8 swap. If you have lots of money to pay someone to work on your rig, then do a V8 swap. If you have a hard time changing your oil, or pinch pennies, I would stay away from it.

V8 swaps require a lot of fabrication. Fabrication costs $$$, so unless you dont have the skills, have the money.

But, let me say this. V8 swaps are fun, unique, and the power is great. You should also consider the SAS, as the V8's fit better with that, than the IFS. But, you will break things, and again. Broken things require skills, or money to fix.

See a pattern here?
very well said
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 AM

I'm just a regular garage mechanic. I bought an engine lift 3 or 4 weeks ago, since then I have pulled 4 motors... the 3.0L V6 is 10 times harder than the other 3 motors i pulled. the other 3 motors were all BMW's acually which some people believe are "hard to work on" INMO pulling a BMW motor is like changing the air filter on a carbed 350 compared to pulling the motor of a 3.0L rig
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric
I'm just a regular garage mechanic. I bought an engine lift 3 or 4 weeks ago, since then I have pulled 4 motors... the 3.0L V6 is 10 times harder than the other 3 motors i pulled. the other 3 motors were all BMW's acually which some people believe are "hard to work on" INMO pulling a BMW motor is like changing the air filter on a carbed 350 compared to pulling the motor of a 3.0L rig

was it an automatic too? lol
Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
350 is a waste of time in a toyota...you'd be much better off with a toyota or chevy V6. the ford 302 is a much better choice than a chevy V8 since it's a lot lighter and narrower.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 AM

As mentioned, before any decisions are made, you need to decide what you want your truck to be able to do - what are your reasons for wanting a swap in the first place.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:03 AM

more power, i have an old motor now that is on its last legs. So i need something newer and something that will push 35s well...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 AM

If you have Crash's mad skills..you can do this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/upndairs-rig-new-powerplant-48564/

Good luck

JOhn
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 AM

How hard is it to plant a V6 motor from an 80s 4runner into my 80s 4runner? Direct swap?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
How hard is it to plant a V6 motor from an 80s 4runner into my 80s 4runner? Direct swap?

what do you have in it now? the power difference between the 22re and 3.0 is pretty sad. The 3.0 shold fit in your truck just fine, but I think you need a trany too with all the other stuff computer, harness, etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:57 AM

its the 22re. Maybe i can just buy another 22re. I was thinking if i need power, i could get a CAM,high compression pistons, header/exhaust and a few other things. That would give me some more power. Thanks for teh help guys. I'll drive it till it dies..Who knows maybe it'll last a while
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have you regeared yet? that'll make the biggest difference of all...

Quick Reply: How hard of a motor swap...?