Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How hard is it to change the pinion&ring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
4rx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How hard is it to change the pinion&ring?

I am looking to buy new pinion&ring very soon becuase I just got bigger tires. I'm going to install them in couple days. I was thinking either Yukon or Precision Gear. I want good quailty. How hard is it to change the pinion&gear? I know a shop that I would be able to borrow tools.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rx
I am looking to buy new pinion&ring very soon becuase I just got bigger tires. I'm going to install them in couple days. I was thinking either Yukon or Precision Gear. I want good quailty. How hard is it to change the pinion&gear? I know a shop that I would be able to borrow tools.

Thanks in advance.
Changing those is very specialized, unless you really know what you're doing, pay a shop to do it for you.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Carry Out Special

If you've read around on hear, most prefer not to use Yukon. Also, you need a press. Do you watch Xtreme4X4 on Spike? Ian, on there, shows exactly how it's done and you have to measure backlash with expensive tools and you can easily mess up the crush sleeve or shims which ruins the diff. Your best bet is to take the entire third member out and carry it to a trusted builder. It saves some money to have it done when you can carry your chunk in to have it built. Look for an expert online named Zuk. He does gears and his website shows all of the steps involved for any kind of third member/locker setup that you can possibly dream of- Good Luck ::magnifying glass smiley:: (for those who aren't familiar with Search\/ )
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.gearinstalls.com/index.htm

This should give you an idea.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 AM

the hardest/ most annoying part is seting the pinion depth/ pre load. Once you have pulled the pinion out in put it back in 4 times you will know why most pay to have it done. I did mine in my fj40 and was too cheep to buy a dial indicator so i set the backlash by feel. 4 years and 40,000 mi later they still are quite and feel great.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've done three gear setups on Toyota trucks. Two rears and one front. The rear Toyota axles aren't too bad if you have patience and the right tools. If you aren't meticulous and precise when you do work, then this isn't a job for you. You need a dial indicator with magnetic base and a torque wrench (not a click type) that reads less than 15 in-lb to do the job right.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Done it a few times. It takes a while. You need speciality tools.

It requires patience more than anything else. Expect to spend anywhere from 3 hrs to several days or possibly a week to do one diff, depending your your level of experience and how much time you have to dedicate to working on it. The rear isn't bad, the front is a PITA.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM

If you have to ask, you should not be doing it. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't do it just right.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 AM

you can take the 3rds out yourself but it would be best to take them to a shop that can set them up.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM

The easiest way is to order the third members online at a web site like TRail Gear or Marlin Crawler when they have a deal on shipping. I bought mine when Trail Gear had free shipping on any order over $100. Just save up until you have enough to get the locker you've always wanted and shwing!!
Most of the time a new third member is cheaper then paying for the labor for a gear install.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How big of tires? What tires did your truck come with? Manual or auto? V6 or 4cy?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 AM
4rx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I would have to get it done by professional then. Just to be safe cause I will drive the 4Runner for a long, long time. Thanks yotatech!

Quick Reply: How hard is it to change the pinion&ring?