Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to Drop Spare with body lift on 3rd gen

Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Drop Spare with body lift on 3rd gen

I just bought a 2" body lift from Roger brown. I was wondering if anyone found a way to drop thier spare tire with the body lift installed. Roger said I might have to drill, or try make a shortend crank tool. Anyone got any other sugestions. Other wise I gotta go with the crank tool.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

On a 1" BL all you have to do is remove the plastic grommet from the hole.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:18 PM

If I was only so lucky, I bought the 2"
Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have the same problem. I'm actually looking at raising the whole assembly since it can be moved up now.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM

Thanks what I was thinking. Im goona try do do somthing when I put the lift on. I was thinking or making a reverse braket and putting the winch on top of the frame
Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

NO NO NO!

Pop up the piece of plastic on top of the rear bumper, just held on by clips, crank down the spare easy as pie. No more than you will use the spare, easiest way I found to get to it w/o modifying the crank cause you MIGHT go back to stock someday!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Hopefully its that simply Brian. I Cant dream it will be that easy. But I trust you. Hopefully I can set that up same time I do the body lift. I was looking for the body lift write up on your page. but its gone now. Let me know if you got your 3rd gen body lift write ups posted somewhere else now.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
Hopefully its that simply Brian. I Cant dream it will be that easy. But I trust you. Hopefully I can set that up same time I do the body lift. I was looking for the body lift write up on your page. but its gone now. Let me know if you got your 3rd gen body lift write ups posted somewhere else now.
It is THAT easy. Grab it in the middle by the latch with the door up and pull it up with firm pressure. Nothing to it and then you have room to slide in the crank easily.

Body Lift Write-up

Same place it has always been.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
NO NO NO!
YES YES YES! Unlike "some people" mines not going back to stock and I plan on a high departure angle rear bumper one day too, so blah and fooey on you!
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM

Okay USA, thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Okay USA, thanks
that sounds like JarJar Binks.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:04 PM

Its acutally that from the movie "bloodsport." When they meet up with that chbby chinese guy in the back alley. Its a phrase I use quite frequently. Its just another way of say Okie Dokie or if you perfere Roger That.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
It is THAT easy. Grab it in the middle by the latch with the door up and pull it up with firm pressure. Nothing to it and then you have room to slide in the crank easily.

Body Lift Write-up

Same place it has always been.

Nice writeup, I'll add a link to it on my 3rd gen install instruction page. You might want to change it to read "4Crawler Offroad body lift kit". I've had people get confused when they search for a "Roger Brown" body lift kit and only find my page with a "4Crawler Offroad" bod lift kit.

And if anyone else has install writeups, please forward the pointers to me and I'll add links off my page. Lets folks read other versions of the install, since what one person may find to be a trivial issue not worth mentioning, can be a show stopping problem for someone else.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Its acutally that from the movie "bloodsport." When they meet up with that chbby chinese guy in the back alley. Its a phrase I use quite frequently. Its just another way of say Okie Dokie or if you perfere Roger That.
10-4.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
since what one person may find to be a trivial issue not worth mentioning, can be a show stopping problem for someone else.
I second that Roger!

Last edited by keisur; 10-12-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Nice writeup, I'll add a link to it on my 3rd gen install instruction page. You might want to change it to read "4Crawler Offroad body lift kit". I've had people get confused when they search for a "Roger Brown" body lift kit and only find my page with a "4Crawler Offroad" bod lift kit.

And if anyone else has install writeups, please forward the pointers to me and I'll add links off my page. Lets folks read other versions of the install, since what one person may find to be a trivial issue not worth mentioning, can be a show stopping problem for someone else.
Consider it done! Your body lift kit was my first "serious" mod...oh the memories!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM

I guess Im doing things backwards. the body lift is one of my last mods. All I need is new tires and the runner is done. Now that Im gonna have a awsome street ride, I gotta get me a beater that I can trash rock crawling. Thanks for the write Brian.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Cut the crossmember out and build a new one 2" higher.

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/thirtyfive.html
Old 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Damn, I wish I could afford that Steve. I am already starving my self to save money. so I can buy my new tires. I didn't eat out one night for 2 weeks so i could buy the track drop bar from you. Other than that, I need to find someone to do the crossmember install for me. I really wish I could pay you Steve to work on my truck, but Im stuck on a Damn island. Damn this el nino weather, its gotta be 90 degress out side and its humid as hell....

What ever happend to you spare tire swing away rack for the rear. I always wanted one. I would love to put my 33" on that rack

Last edited by Bigkahuna808; 10-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 PM

I just drilled a hole thourgh the bumper pad. The rod goes though the crack but with the hole drilled I dont have to pull off my bumper cover and scratch up the paint and wear out the clips.

I am thinking of raising my crossmember 2 inches but just useing the stock cross member and getting 2 inche legs welded too it. Think it will work.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Damn, I wish I could afford that Steve. I am already starving my self to save money. so I can buy my new tires. I didn't eat out one night for 2 weeks so i could buy the track drop bar from you. Other than that, I need to find someone to do the crossmember install for me. I really wish I could pay you Steve to work on my truck, but Im stuck on a Damn island. Damn this el nino weather, its gotta be 90 degress out side and its humid as hell....

What ever happend to you spare tire swing away rack for the rear. I always wanted one. I would love to put my 33" on that rack
Just Buy Schaefer and his wife tickets to Hawaii and I am sure he would be happy to come down and work on your rig. I bet he would even bring his portable welder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Drop Spare with body lift on 3rd gen