Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do you prevent rack mounted lights from being stolen - Barri Nut Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you prevent rack mounted lights from being stolen - Barri Nut Locks?

Barri Nut Locks

Does anyone use these to secure their aux. lights to your 4Runner roof rack? I'm looking for something to prevent someone from unbolting and stealing my Hella 500s.

$19 for a pair of lock nuts seems a bit expensive. Anything similar on the market and do you really think it's necessary to lock up the Hellas? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:23 PM

red thread locker, only problem is you can't take 'em off either w/out torch.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
IN Canada you could just put a sign next to them that says "Please do not steal these." and that would take care of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
IN Canada you could just put a sign next to them that says "Please do not steal these." and that would take care of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM

I have the locks, they came free with my daylighters when I bought them. They work well and will keep your lights from being stolen. If you have nice lights get 'em and I'd take the risk of them being stolen if they're cheap
Old 06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

On my Bumper mounted PIAA lights I decided to remove the original bolts and use allen socket or cap head bolts with nylock nuts to fasten them on. Not that secure, just means you have to have the proper sized allen wrench to steal them. You can also buy security torx (has a pin in the center of the torx female socket).
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM

I don't even need the sign.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

hey flamed!

still remember your time spent north of the 49th, eh?! its kind of hard to use wrenches etc with heavy mitts, the tools get so cold they stick to your hands otherwise. the sign is just for the two weeks of nice weather at the end of july and begining of august.

ps.,

ive just been told by my better half that youre a bad influence on me and i cant play with you anymore.

lee
Old 06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

You can use these nuts if you want, then they'll take the entire thing your lights are attached to. If your lights are locked to your roof rack, they take your crossbar or basket. If its locked to a light bar, they'll take that. If all else fails theyll take your entire truck.

On the 4Runner, anything that was a common target was left easy. No wheel locks. Hellas were mounted with just a nut, wired with a quick disconnect 3" away from the light. etc etc. Id rather have them steal the part, than the entire vehicle.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 AM

LOL I was just up in Victoria last weekend for the Swiftsure and it all came back to me...

Originally Posted by leebee
hey flamed!

still remember your time spent north of the 49th, eh?! its kind of hard to use wrenches etc with heavy mitts, the tools get so cold they stick to your hands otherwise. the sign is just for the two weeks of nice weather at the end of july and begining of august.

ps.,

ive just been told by my better half that youre a bad influence on me and i cant play with you anymore.

lee
Old 06-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Agreed, I've owned a few convertibles and never locked them. I'd rather they open the door to discover nothing worth stealing than cut the top. If they want the whole car they will get it anyway...

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
You can use these nuts if you want, then they'll take the entire thing your lights are attached to. If your lights are locked to your roof rack, they take your crossbar or basket. If its locked to a light bar, they'll take that. If all else fails theyll take your entire truck.

On the 4Runner, anything that was a common target was left easy. No wheel locks. Hellas were mounted with just a nut, wired with a quick disconnect 3" away from the light. etc etc. Id rather have them steal the part, than the entire vehicle.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

if they want them they will get them.... the ones above have a very simple design flaw... there are tools used for a bicycle bottom bracket that can defeat those, easily..... its a spring steel type device with pins... and it has awesome leverage too.....
Old 06-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Weld em.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually my friend, it is complete the opposite in the lower mainland. Take a look at this website created by Vancouver & Suburbs Police - http://baitcar.com - videos of guys getting caught in bait cars.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Actually my post was a version of one of the old Canadian jokes. "How do you get a mob of Popparazi off your lawn?" "Ask them to please get off your lawn." that sort of thing... When I lived in Osoyoos in the summer you had to lock up everything and post guard on it. Now I would not wish to make generalized statements that are unfair to the few, but the transients who came around in the summertime (typically seemed to be from those French-speaking provinces) seemed to have a zone of low vapour pressure surrounding them...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:13 PM

definetely a cool idea, albeit expensive...

yup, always worked for me, I've forgotten my truck unlocked numerous times (for days on end), back window down, faceplate still stuck on, not had a single thing get stolen *knock on wood*.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you people making the theft in canada jokes have obviously never been to vancouver. highest theft per capita in all of north america from what i've been told by the insurance company.

and i'm looking for an anti theft idea as well. i tried welding the nut to the bolt, but surprisingly, it didn't hold at all. the bolts just snapped right at the end where the weld was. i was thinking of using a bolt that was a little longer than needed, add a few extra nuts on the end and then filing the the corners off the nuts.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I made my own "locks" would either take SHCS bolts and drill out allen, then one notch in inside with a dremel. then a corresponding rod with one weld bump that fit it... that and nuts, rounded completely down with a groov or two in them.... ya gotta keep the honest man honest, the hardcore theives will always find a way
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
I've forgotten my truck unlocked numerous times (for days on end), back window down, faceplate still stuck on, not had a single thing get stolen *knock on wood*.

whats your address again?

jk, jk....