Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do you guys mount your cellphones?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys mount your cellphones?

I got a new phone, and even though the ringer volume is maxed out, I often can't hear it ringing due to stereo/road noise. So, I was thinking of mounting something on the dashboard so that I can see the phone light up when there is an incoming call, as well as see who the call is from without picking it up and taking my eyes off the road.

The car is a 2000 4Runner, but I am sure the dash is similar in Tacomas as well. If anyone has a clean/functional way of mounting it on the dash, post 'em up!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned

its a $5 holder i got at pep boys.. works great, i never miss a call when im in my truck, and i always have my radio cranked, also i have a flowmaster 40 with a turndown and a very loud valve tick that sounds liek a diesel, and a modified intake
Old 12-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

I just got a new phone yesterday, and didn't want it getting all scratched up just yet in the cupholder. I use my belt clip thingy and attach it to my visor, right above my head. It works great, I can see the red light when it rings, and hear the ringer.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
I just got a new phone yesterday, and didn't want it getting all scratched up just yet in the cupholder. I use my belt clip thingy and attach it to my visor, right above my head. It works great, I can see the red light when it rings, and hear the ringer.
me too, it works great. plus my cell has a speaker phone so it works great for hands free use. Since it is so close to my head I can hear the other person fine even over the road noise, and they can hear me well for the same reason.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

"How do you mount your cell phone?"
Now that is taking phone sex to another level.

Clip it to your sun visor.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynamo
I got a new phone, and even though the ringer volume is maxed out, I often can't hear it ringing due to stereo/road noise. So, I was thinking of mounting something on the dashboard so that I can see the phone light up when there is an incoming call, as well as see who the call is from without picking it up and taking my eyes off the road.

The car is a 2000 4Runner, but I am sure the dash is similar in Tacomas as well. If anyone has a clean/functional way of mounting it on the dash, post 'em up!
This is what you want.

It's a "pro-fit" mount, made for our trucks.

Here is the same mount when I had my star-tac, just with a different plate on top.

Here are your install instructions:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/TY-70-96.pdf

They also have them for 2nd gens.

Last edited by Jason B; 12-21-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll look into Jason B's mount, looks exactly like what I need.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 AM

Let me be the first to say that I wish everybody with a cellphone in their car would mount it here
I swear, 75% of the people on the road aren't smart enough to drive anyway and 100% of those people have cellphones too
End grumpy old codger post...
Old 12-21-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
Let me be the first to say that I wish everybody with a cellphone in their car would mount it here
I swear, 75% of the people on the road aren't smart enough to drive anyway and 100% of those people have cellphones too
End grumpy old codger post...
Yeah, mounting a cellphone in an accessible location for use with speakerphone to decrease driver distraction/interference and improve the ability to concentrate on the road while having both hands on the steering wheel is a terrible idea.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:15 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Some newfangled gadgets really are an improvement. I do NOT miss the old days when the string kept pulling out of the paper cup....
Old 12-21-2004, 10:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hes right in that even if they have hands-free solutions, people are too stupid to drive while talking.

hands free is like a C+ solution... the better one being, dont talk while driving.

the other day this lady in my work parking lot almost reversed right into me because she was on the phone. i honked for 10 seconds till she heard me and stopped just short of hitting me as i was shifting into reverse to peel out backward to avoid the collision.

she then gave me the finger.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B
This is what you want.

It's a "pro-fit" mount, made for our trucks.
Wow Jason... $40 for a bent plate?

And you still need the top-plate, right?

Couldn't you get a sheet of 18ga from Lowe's and do it up yourself?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:42 AM

I am not disagreeing with the fact that there are bad drivers everywhere. In fact, I encountered one this very morning, who was also appauled at the fact that I honked at him as he cut me off during his 3 lane change. He was not using his cellphone, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to give me the finger and drive at the same time. :\

However, blaming people's piss-poor driving habits solely on cellphones is unreasonable. I have had a cellphone for about 8 years now, always operate it at hands-free mode while in the car, without any incidents.

I know that the response from the anti-cellphone crowd is going to be "pull over or don't use a cellphone at all" - well, at least here in CA you are not allowed to pull over on the side of the highway to answer your phone. In fact, my dad got harassed by a CHP just two weeks ago for doing just that - doing the safe thing and pulling over to answer an urgent call from work.

Bottom line is that taking yet another step towards making my driving safer by minimizing the distraction a cellphone creates is far from being a bad idea IMHO.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Here is what I did with my VGA1000...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cheap-mounting-cell-phone-22922/
Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Wow Jason... $40 for a bent plate?

And you still need the top-plate, right?

Couldn't you get a sheet of 18ga from Lowe's and do it up yourself?
Wow, that's rip. Mine was $20 something when I got it 3+ years ago. My V60 came with that holder, and I just mounted it to the profit mount.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:28 PM
lee
Contributing Member

bump:

I got this cell phone mount, and mounted it like this:

Old 01-09-2005, 07:27 PM

How did you attach it to the dash? $17 is definitely a much better deal than the $45 bracket from crutchfield, but I don't want to do anything permanent on the dash.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

The mount I have doesn't required any drilling and is not permanent. It mounts to screws behind the main radio panel and slides in. Crutchfield is selling it for too much.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Yeah I love the fact that it's not permanent, but the price is definitely way too high for a fairly simple metal bracket. Also, in addition to the metal bracket, I would need to get a phone-specific "cradle", which is also not cheap. So before you know it, it's going to cost like $60 to have it mounted right. :\
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

These are great, I have one holder for both my ipod and cell phone at the same time.

http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you guys mount your cellphones?