Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do I check if my RS3200 VIP is dead or keyless remotes are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I check if my RS3200 VIP is dead or keyless remotes are bad?

Hey all,
I have a question regarding my factory rs3200 vip. I have a new to me 2000 4Runner HIghlander package. Love the truck, but the keyless remotes either won't work or won't program. The Denso I got with the truck looked well used, so I bought a new battery, tried programming it, and it didnt engage. I figured since it was well used it might be dead and bought a like new Denso and inserted a new battery. The code on the Denso, with Yota logo is: HYQ1512Y.
This is the same one that came with the truck so I am fairly confident its the right one for my 2000.
I used programming instructions below, which I found on here and are specific to the 2000. Everything happens till I try and program the remotes, then nothing.
After step 7, locks cycle.
For step 1 of setting remotes, I do exactly as specified and the locks do NOT cycle. I have now done this with 2 remotes with brand new batteries.

This is where my dilema starts. Is the RS3200 dead, or is that not possible since the locks cycle as in step 7?

Is there anyway to diagnose this myself before bending over at the dealer? There is no black box under the seat on these models, where is the box located for diagnosis? Or maybe its just a fuse?

Please help. Thank you

Driver Door should be Open, unlocked and the key should be OUT of the ignition.

1. Insert and remove key from ignition 2X

2. Close and Open Driver Door 2X

3. Insert and Remove Key from ignition 1X

4. Close and Open Driver Door 2X

5. Put Key in ignition and Close Door

6. Turn Key from “Lock” to “On” and back 2X

7. Pull key from ignition

Locks should cycle (lock and unlock) twice – Now you set the remotes

SETTING REMOTE (S)

1. Press and hold the lock and unlock button at the same time for 1 second, then immediately press the lock button and release.

2. The locks should cycle (lock and unlock) 1X. If they cycle 2X, the code didn’t take. If this happens simply try the button combination again.

3. If you have a second remote, program it immediately after you program the first one.

This is the end of the procedure. Open the door or put the key in the ignition to de-activate the process. Remotes should now work properly.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM

I followed the programming ins in this link, and now have more information to attempt a diagnosis:

http://dutch.northwestmr2.com/Toyota...rogramming.pdf

At the end it says that the locks should cycle 1 time, the tail marker and lights flash once, and the buzzer chirps once.

All I get are the locks cycling, the lights DO NOT flash, and the buzzer DOES NOT chirp.

Hopefully this helps to determine more of what the issue might be.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM

I have this on a 97 but I wouldnt know how to fix your problem. Mine seems to work intermittently.. sometimes it will chirp(ive fooled with the settings a little to make sure it was turned on to chirp) almost always it will lock and unlock and a few times it just hasnt worked until i open it with a key. it also doesnt have much range and i replaced the batteries so i know that isnt an issue.

im just not going to worry about it because it seems like it would be very expensive to get the dealer to look at it
Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Anyone????
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 AM

i just had a keyless remote programmed at the dealer (for free as it was part of the purchase of the truck). It was for my 99. I have no idea if it has the rs3200 VIP like yours does, but the 99 and 2000 share other closely related differences from the other years so its possible...? Anyway, if so, those directions are not correct. They're def not the same as what the service tech did for my '99. I watched him program mine and I tried to memorize it but just couldn't get the whole thing. I do know for a fact at one point, with the drivers door open, he cycled the locks (lock, unlock) a total of 5 times in a row using the lock/unlock button on the drivers door. He was opening and closing the door and turning the key on and off and pulling it in and out as well. He was having a rough time getting in programmed and seemed to try it several times (which is what made it so hard for me to try to memorize it) and at one point, he gave up and said mine must not have it but I wasn't going to accept that answer and and got him to try once more and Voila! he got it.

So how do I know if I have the RS3200 VIP or not in my 99? My remote is the same HYQ1512Y (incidentally also the same remote as my '02).

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 09-17-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by theferg
i just had a keyless remote programmed at the dealer (for free as it was part of the purchase of the truck). It was for my 99. I have no idea if it has the rs3200 VIP like yours does, but the 99 and 2000 share other closely related differences from the other years so its possible...? Anyway, if so, those directions are not correct. They're def not the same as what the service tech did for my '99. I watched him program mine and I tried to memorize it but just couldn't get the whole thing. I do know for a fact at one point, with the drivers door open, he cycled the locks (lock, unlock) a total of 5 times in a row using the lock/unlock button on the drivers door. He was opening and closing the door and turning the key on and off and pulling it in and out as well. He was having a rough time getting in programmed and seemed to try it several times (which is what made it so hard for me to try to memorize it) and at one point, he gave up and said mine must not have it but I wasn't going to accept that answer and and got him to try once more and Voila! he got it.

So how do I know if I have the RS3200 VIP or not in my 99? My remote is the same HYQ1512Y (incidentally also the same remote as my '02).

-Ferg-
you should have another little place where a switch could go that has a blinking red led and a microphone to pickup the tapping on glass sound. and it makes a high pitched noise(they call it a chirp) when you lock or unlock.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 AM

Just checked them and both my 99 and 02 do indeed have the chirp (i call it a beep ) and the 99 has the aforementioned panel with red led and mic sitting to the left of the steering column just past the diff lock switch. So this sounds like it would be RS3200 then? (I'll have to check under the seat later, its bedtime for me now) The '02 most definitely does not have the red led and mic plate so it must be something else...

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 09-17-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 AM

in my 97 its on the center console next to the rear window switch. and the unit is under the driver seat
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"where is the box located for diagnosis?"

This thread shows where the RS3200 ECU is, but I don't know how you run a diagnostic on it.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...e-help-167407/
Old 02-17-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by nubreed
I followed the programming ins in this link, and now have more information to attempt a diagnosis:

http://dutch.northwestmr2.com/Toyota...rogramming.pdf

At the end it says that the locks should cycle 1 time, the tail marker and lights flash once, and the buzzer chirps once.

All I get are the locks cycling, the lights DO NOT flash, and the buzzer DOES NOT chirp.

Hopefully this helps to determine more of what the issue might be.

Were you ever able to resolve the no lights and no chirp issue with your RS3200? Trying to pair a new remote to my sons 2001 4runner with RS3200 - I get the lock cycle but no lights or chirp as well.