Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to disable the power antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to disable the power antenna?

Hello all!

I have a 91 4Runner and I must have gremlins eating away at my electrical as I am having problems pop up all over..

Any rate. THe most important right now by far is my stereo... Been 3 weeks humming to myself... Before I buy a personal MP3 player i was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to disable the power antenna. I think it is the cause of my Stereo to blow the fuse on turning it on.

I was driving one day, Muted the stereo & pulled over to answer my cell phone. Finished my call, went to remove the mute and thougth thats weird I was sure I muted it and did not turn it off??? Any way I tried turning it on again, nothing??? I looked and my antenna was still up??

Got home shut off truck antenna went down and that was the last of any music.
I replaced the fuse, was able to eject the CD, but again as soon as I turned on the stereo the fuse blew.??? :wtf:
So I am suspecting the power antenna as it has been getting stuck worse and worse each winter.

Any rate I just want to easily (without pulling apart the dash) disable the power to the antenna so it will NOT try and go up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Marc
Old 02-16-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by M'sRunner
Hello all!

I have a 91 4Runner and I must have gremlins eating away at my electrical as I am having problems pop up all over..

Any rate. THe most important right now by far is my stereo... Been 3 weeks humming to myself... Before I buy a personal MP3 player i was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to disable the power antenna. I think it is the cause of my Stereo to blow the fuse on turning it on.

I was driving one day, Muted the stereo & pulled over to answer my cell phone. Finished my call, went to remove the mute and thougth thats weird I was sure I muted it and did not turn it off??? Any way I tried turning it on again, nothing??? I looked and my antenna was still up??

Got home shut off truck antenna went down and that was the last of any music.
I replaced the fuse, was able to eject the CD, but again as soon as I turned on the stereo the fuse blew.??? :wtf:
So I am suspecting the power antenna as it has been getting stuck worse and worse each winter.

Any rate I just want to easily (without pulling apart the dash) disable the power to the antenna so it will NOT try and go up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Marc
On my 98runner you pull the fender lining to access the motor and pull the disconnedt plug to the antenna motor.

Should be the same deal on yours.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Same as on my Y2K, pull the lining and disconnect that annoying piece of junk. I`m going with Tacoma whip, no problems after that.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:16 AM

Thanks guys...

Originally Posted by Jboy
Same as on my Y2K, pull the lining and disconnect that annoying piece of junk. I`m going with Tacoma whip, no problems after that.
Thanks guys... I'll take a look tonight.

I'm going crazy (and it aint Ozzy Osbourne's train I'm on) without my stereo..