Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How deep can I go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 03:37 PM
FROSTY

How deep can I go?

How deep can I go with out a diff breather on a 3rd generation? I was thinking about it last night when I was in Dewatto/Tahuya in a really deep mud pit. When I changed the diff oil last month it didn’t seam like it had water in it but I have been up to my headlights. Also are there any cons to the diff breather ext? Anybody found snorkels for the 3rd gens?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming you mean "extended diff breather", not just "diff breather".

I believe it's 18" to the spot on the rear axle where the diff breather is. Even if you go in deep water, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll take water in through the breather.

If the temp of the water is quite cool and it cools the temp of your diff a lot, it may draw water in at that time if the breather is submerged. Otherwise if you're driving and splashing it's actually unlikely that you'll draw water in. The hat on the diff breather is good for keeping stuff out (dirt, mud, water, grass, etc.) The water would have to splash up and under the diff breather hat and stay in there long enough for the diff to draw air in, taking the water in with it.

Extending the diff breather is more a precautionary measure for most, but a necessity for those who tend to fully submerge their axle on water crossings / mud pits, etc.

Cons that I can think of, would be:

-more places for the diff breather to get clogged, it's not just the one spot anymore. More real estate w/an extended breather, more spots for it to get clogged which will result in blown seal. Top could get clogged, sharp bend in the line, etc.

-the breather line could get cut, severed or damaged. Because there is no "diff breather hat" from anywhere on the line to the diff (the only diff breather hat is at the very top end of the line) and no filter at the bottom of the line before entering the diff, it's easier to get unwanted stuff in your diff if the line gets damaged.

I was thinking about putting a tiny screen on the top of the breather that plugs directly into the diff, just before I shove the hose on & clamp it. Just in case the line gets cut I'll still have one last line of defense so chunks of any kind of debris can't get in there. I guess I just have to make sure I do it properly so the screen/filter itself doesn't get sucked into the diff...
Old 05-11-2003, 10:02 PM
FROSTY

Hboss,

Thanks for the reply--do you think I could extend the breather into a tail light or the trunk? I doubt I would ever go above the rear bumper....I like the shackles on the back of yours--am I out of luck if I have a hitch?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Re: How deep can I go?

Originally posted by FROSTY
How deep can I go?
She'll probably let you know if it gets too deep, oh, wait, your talking about wheeling. never mind. before I extended mine I hit some holes up above the top of the wheels, just quick dips though, and I just changed the fluid either that night or the next day and I never had problems. then I figured I'd save money if I just went ahead and extended them so I did.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Banned

I think most of my 3rd gen buddies run the line to the fuel filler neck and use some part that's similar to the original breather but with a hose barb end instead of the threaded end that goes into the axle. I believe they use the same part as the stock (extended from the factory) front breather cap.

I personally ran mine to the right tail light and used a $1.99 Purolator fuel filter on the end. I pointed the open end of the filter downward so it can't become a funnel for any water that might be in the tail light area.

Once that's done you can go into water as high as the tranny breather or air intake. You can probably get an aftermarket snorkel from Australia or make your own from PVC pipe.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jx94148
I like the tail light route like you did. I've heard some people accidentally clamped the breather to the side of the filler neck and that hindered the operation of the pressure release cap and caused an axle seal to blow. if you do run it to the filler, make sure you are certain it can operate freely and each time you fill up, give it a once-over to make sure it is still operable.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well for me, in my previous Tacoma (98 LTD 4x4) I did some mud splashing and ended up with a clogged diff breather (front) 2x's.

This led to 2 trips to the dealer for a leaking x-fer case output shaft seal, both times covered under powertrain warranty.

So to answer your question about how deep...well that kinda depends on what you are driving in. For water, I would say the top of the rim would be safe.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:59 AM

Re: How deep can I go?

Anybody found snorkels for the 3rd gens?
there is a huge post over on 4x4wire about my snorkel, just search and you can find it, it is in the 4Runner & SUV forum.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Well for me, in my previous Tacoma (98 LTD 4x4) I did some mud splashing and ended up with a clogged diff breather (front) 2x's.

This led to 2 trips to the dealer for a leaking x-fer case output shaft seal, both times covered under powertrain warranty.

So to answer your question about how deep...well that kinda depends on what you are driving in. For water, I would say the top of the rim would be safe.
96 Runner: Well damnit, clean the mud after your trip so it doesn't get clogged!! j/k

Nice snorkel 44Runner, your 4Runner is wicked.

Al
Old 05-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Nice snorkel 44Runner, your 4Runner is wicked.

Al

I agree, that is a most impressive rig you got there.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:33 AM

Hboss,

Thanks for the reply--do you think I could extend the breather into a tail light or the trunk? I doubt I would ever go above the rear bumper....I like the shackles on the back of yours--am I out of luck if I have a hitch?
Tail light or trunk, that's a good idea. I'm not sure exactly how you'll get it in the trunk though, other than by drilling a hole. Maybe there is one somewhere back there already leading into the trunk? Running it up by the fuel filler is the most popular location.

I don't have a hitch so I'm not sure how it gets bolted on or if it would block the shackles. They are hooked on to my tie-downs. I only found out (from WATRD) recently that this is a bad idea. I do have shackle hangers (4) being made for me right now actually which use existing bolt holes, as per Steve S.'s specs. Can't wait for those...
Old 05-12-2003, 10:15 AM
FROSTY

44Runner,

Nice Truck--I like it. Sounds like the fuel filler is the place to go....Is there a write up around for the diff breather?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a link to Bob's write up, and jacksonpt's is here in the tech section, just to name a few...
Old 05-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Tail light or trunk, that's a good idea. I'm not sure exactly how you'll get it in the trunk though, other than by drilling a hole. Maybe there is one somewhere back there already leading into the trunk? Running it up by the fuel filler is the most popular location.
I would advise against running it into the trunk unless you enjoy the smell of gear oil. Just run it up high somewhere and put the filter on the end of it, should be pretty simple.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:15 PM

Re: Re: How deep can I go?

Originally posted by 44Runner
there is a huge post over on 4x4wire about my snorkel, just search and you can find it, it is in the 4Runner & SUV forum.

That Jeep/Heep in the first pic, must feel really small and pathetic compared to your 4Runner
Old 05-12-2003, 01:00 PM
FROSTY

The articles are great--now that I ordered the parts for the diff breather, also cleaned the throttle body--is there any other mod that I should do that’s cheap--I like to camp and use if off road when ever I have time...

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 05-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Deckplate and ISR mod. Click on my sig and go to the tech page for more info. Proven gains with both. I would estimate about 7 - 10 HP at the wheels when you put those two together.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by mertztr
I agree, that is a most impressive rig you got there.
I think it looks like hell in those old pics. I have been looking at it like this for so long it is always shocking to see how it looked about 7 months ago. The 35s are just SO much better than the old 32s...

Old 05-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

I think it looks like hell in those old pics. I have been looking at it like this for so long it is always shocking to see how it looked about 7 months ago. The 35s are just SO much better than the old 32s...
Ummm!!!!! I think I can speak for us all when I say "Share, Share, Share, more photos and specs on that runner!"
Old 05-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

Re: Re: How deep can I go?

Feel free to link that thread here. I searched for "safari snorkel" in SUV and didn't get your thread. What words do I plug in to search for it?

Quick Reply: How deep can I go?