Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How can i get more juice out of my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can i get more juice out of my engine?

You might of read my other thread where i wanted to buy a sports car, but i thought about it and figured i can have a lot more fun this summer wheelin. So is there any mods i can do to get more juice out of my engine. I already got a K&N intake and i will be changing my muffler probably this summer. I dont want anything big but just something for a little bit more power. Thank for the help.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Banned

you arent going to get a significant amount of power without getting a supercharger, your truck was designed as a truck and not a sports car.....

have you looked into power tuners or a chip? you will notice seat of the pants improvements with an exhuast, however its not going to feel like a lot more juice, there is no substitute for cubic inches unless its forced induction.....
Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 AM

If you actually take the engine and squeeze it really hard, some juice will come out. The harder you squeeze, the more juice comes out. Ok, I'll stop being a smart ass, you can put on an exhaust, a FIPK, headers, and all other sorts of things, but the only real power will come from doing an engine swap. The 3.0 seems to be too hard to really max out. I'm personally going to save for a 3.4L or maybe a Toyota V8.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are several turboed 3.0s running around....

I've been thinking about a 50 shot of nitrous myself...

then my conservative side kicks my wild side in the balls and says, "nitrous you idiot?? Your engine has 259,000 miles!!"

I think I have issues! LOL Time for another beer!!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You need to get one of each of these things listed below, altogether you should net 228hp! For 5% of the price of a silly old blower and headers and exhaust...

Assuming a starting point of 150 hp & 17 mpg
electric turbo charger $69.99 +45 hp +31% better mpg for 195 hp & 22.2 mpg, then add
Tornado swirl device $19.99 +13 hp +28% mpg to get 208 hp & 28 mpg
Power Speed Chip $9.99 +20hp to get 228 hp & 28 mpg
Ecotek $68.47 15% mpg to get 228 hp & 32.2 mpg
Poweraid TB spacer $49 "big gains" =sky's the limit!

Oh, and don't forget to add Acetone to your fuel for huge benefits at pennies per tankful...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 05-05-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
You need to get one of each of these things listed below, altogether you should net 228hp! For 5% of the price of a silly old blower and headers and exhaust...

Assuming a starting point of 150 hp & 17 mpg
electric turbo charger $69.99 +45 hp +31% better mpg for 195 hp & 22.2 mpg, then add
Tornado swirl device $19.99 +13 hp +28% mpg to get 208 hp & 28 mpg
Power Speed Chip $9.99 +20hp to get 228 hp & 28 mpg
Ecotek $68.47 15% mpg to get 228 hp & 32.2 mpg
Poweraid TB spacer $49 "big gains" =sky's the limit!

Oh, and don't forget to add Acetone to your fuel for huge benefits at pennies per tankful...

he's joking! please dont actually do that!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Racer944
If you actually take the engine and squeeze it really hard, some juice will come out. The harder you squeeze, the more juice comes out. Ok, I'll stop being a smart ass, you can put on an exhaust, a FIPK, headers, and all other sorts of things, but the only real power will come from doing an engine swap. The 3.0 seems to be too hard to really max out. I'm personally going to save for a 3.4L or maybe a Toyota V8.

Don't have to squeeze mine, it leaks all the time....
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
he's joking! please dont actually do that!!!

JIM, Jim jim, do you mean to tell me that you Don't Actually Believe all those products really work and the guys like engine builders and automotive engineers are bungling idiots?

I figure if anyone is dumb enough to buy that stuff they deserve to be parted with their money.

But, yes, I was joking.

CCCP (the old soviet union?) The best way to get decent gains and keep reliability is headers, exhaust system, oversize exhaust valves and maybe a ported head and intake. It will really wake up that engine but won't kill it.
Superchargers, turbo chargers, Nitrous - all the benefits come with three price tags - the initial cost, increased maintenance needs, and the shortened life of the engine.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 05-05-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:05 PM

I would say out of all the single additions to my truck the ignition was the most bang for the buck.

Some before and after Dyno numbers with a jacobs on a 3.0 by 4x4 wire

I picked up a Jacobs ICE ignition on Ebay for $100 and Im very happy with it.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ganoid
I would say out of all the single additions to my truck the ignition was the most bang for the buck.

Some before and after Dyno numbers with a jacobs on a 3.0 by 4x4 wire

I picked up a Jacobs ICE ignition on Ebay for $100 and Im very happy with it.
Really?

Hmmmmm.....

Crap im going to finish this 7mge AFM conversion FIRST! (Which btw no muffler shops around me can mandrel bend 3", so im ordering a 3" diameter U pipe to cut and weld) lol Dang you for adding another mod to my list....GRRR

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-05-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cccp
You might of read my other thread where i wanted to buy a sports car, but i thought about it and figured i can have a lot more fun this summer wheelin. So is there any mods i can do to get more juice out of my engine. I already got a K&N intake and i will be changing my muffler probably this summer. I dont want anything big but just something for a little bit more power. Thank for the help.

I've done the FIPK, free flowing cat, and 2.25" exhuast with a VERY loose muffler and of course a 2.5" tip. The 3vze rumbles ( ) nicely and has a nice mellow buzz around 2000 rpm. I also recently had the intake plenum ported and smoothed out and had my injectors cleaned. Even with my current 600lb soundsystem I was able to run down a 3vze 2nd gen just like mine...He had a trucklength head start and I ran him down and started passing before 60mph...

Right now Im making slow progress on using a 7mge AFM in place of the 3vze's AFM, reason being that the 7mge AFM will flow 30% more air at WOT than the stock AFM will in our engines. Electrically the output is the same.

To complete this mod all I have to do is to just borrow my dad's chop saw, my buddies mig welder, cut up the U pipe I'm ordering, and learn how to weld without electrojuicing myself!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
(Which btw no muffler shops around me can mandrel bend 3", so im ordering a 3" diameter U pipe to cut and weld)

Thats what I did only I used a single 90* to cut up.

Be sure to get a few Pipe couplings in the plumbing section to cut in half and weld on for bungs. I was able to find some nice smooth couplings at True value that looked machined instead of cast so they really add to the look of the finished product. Be sure to use Hump hoses to couple it to the motor or it will just pull off after a short amount of time from motor movement (I initially tried 3" truck radiator hose pieces for couplers). FWIW I would be back to the stock plastic piece if I had not mounted my Jacobs coil in the space under the metal one. Checking the oil is a real PITA compared to stock and to be honest I see no benefit to the metal one over stock except the extra space under it for an external coil.

This picture was taken before the Jacobs unit was added.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:34 AM

ok i got some questions what is a a electric turbo charger and does the racing (speed) chip mess with the gas miledge or does it stay the same, that is what i was told and what is an ecotek?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cccp
ok i got some questions what is a a electric turbo charger and does the racing (speed) chip mess with the gas miledge or does it stay the same, that is what i was told and what is an ecotek?
He was kidding you....dont do the electric supercharger thats 65bux.....its nothing more than a cargo ventilation fan from a boat.

There is an electric turbocharger that sells for about 300 bux that does build 1psig (15.7psia) into your intake....and for a 500 dollar investment one that will build 2psi...but if you are going to spend that, ya may as well snag a CT26 turbo from a 7mgte supra and turbo and intercool the 3.0...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 AM

what is i have an aftermarket intake will the turbocharger fit in it?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 AM

hey flamedx4 its cool that u noticed the CCCP(Old Soviet Union) i never thought anyone would.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
there are several turboed 3.0s running around....

I've been thinking about a 50 shot of nitrous myself...

then my conservative side kicks my wild side in the balls and says, "nitrous you idiot?? Your engine has 259,000 miles!!"

I think I have issues! LOL Time for another beer!!
where do you get turbo's for the 3.0L?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 AM

Check this out for a bit of humor

http://www.kalecoauto.com/

Select the Performance (and other) links on the left side.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Banned

there are no cheap ways to get significant power upgrades..... the mod chip and the electric supercharger are FAKE! they are not any good, they do not give promised power results... either cccp is a total moron, or this thread is a spoof... come on, can people really be that stupid?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
there are no cheap ways to get significant power upgrades..... the mod chip and the electric supercharger are FAKE! they are not any good, they do not give promised power results... either cccp is a total moron, or this thread is a spoof... come on, can people really be that stupid?
Chill out man i was just kidding about the supercharger and I am just looking for the best mods for my car.

Quick Reply: How can i get more juice out of my engine?