Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How about 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen?

Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen?

Ok, I know as a newbie pup I should sit back quietly and learn from the big dogs, but I have a suggestion. Hopefully, this doesn't sound elitist or stir things up too much but I think it may be of help to break down the classifications on the 4Runner in the 1st gens to a 1st and 2nd gen. To me, the solid axle was the 1st gen, the body style was somewhat secondary. The second gen was the introduction of (this is the stirring things up bit) that hideously malformed beast known as IFS
Obviously, the subsequent gens would be knocked a number forward for further clarification.
Sound like a good idea or should I take my EFI blown headgasket smoking pile of first gen solid axle rust bucket back to the doghouse?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes go back to the doghouse.

IFS isnt bad in all aspects. In some aspects its better than a solid axle. In some aspects its worse. But to call it "hideously malformed beast" is way out of line. Explain to me why someone who does mostly street riding and maybe a little bit of offroading would NEED a solid axle. Or someone who likes to drive fast in the desert. IFS would be better in these situations.

But I'm swapping to a solid axle, so what does that say?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:30 AM

>>...I'm switching to a solid axle...<<

LOL!
Ok, I confess I really was trying to stir things up calling IFS that, but to me what IFS could be compared to what IFS turned out to be are two wildly different things. I think a very well set up IFS system would possibly outperform a solid axle onroad, offroad and even rock crawling. However, the current design with weak parts and limited travel don't add up to 4 wheelin' fun.
I swear, whoever came up with the torsion bar never played with a paper clip. Granted there is a difference between torsion and flexion, but all the same, torsion bars are a weak sister to a real spring.
I do see a lot of potential in IFS if somebody would really put together a complete kit. I've been surfing around looking for what I could do to an IFS rig since it looks like I will be moving into the family 4door version of the 4 Runner sometime soon. What I have found, in my limited knowledge opinion, is that nobody really seems to have brought all the possibilities together.
Total Chaos makes a nice looking set up with lots of travel, but still uses the old cv set up:

http://www.aor4x4.com/4wcaddy.htm

Downeys kit has great slipyoke and stub replacement in their kit, but the a-arms look to leave much to be desired:

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Images/4/Image38.jpg

Then, floating around out there in cyber 4wheeling parts space are coil over springs used in 4 link suspension systems that actually carry the vehicles weight some and reduce loads on the torsion bars or possibly even replaces them outright.
So, in my IFS fantasy land dreams, I would like to see a set up with the Total Chaos kit with Downey cv replacement slipyoke and stub assembly, and coil springs or coil overs to replace completely or limit loads on the torsion bars. Uh, did I just describe something Ivan Stewart probably has? That or something really close to a Hummer
Most likely, I will wind up buying a tired 4door version then swap out to a solid axle myself. I don't get that rough on the truck, but I sure like knowing that I can when I need to.

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 01-24-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually Downey is working on another IFS setup that does away with the T bars altogether.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=Downey
Old 01-24-2003, 09:58 AM

I say all us 2nd gen owners get together, drive to w. Colorado and string old Fahrenheit 451 up by his "lug nuts"!!! You cant talk about a mans 4Runner like that.... are you crazy man?
Actually.... You've got it made!! Sounds to me (from your own description) like your 1st gen is not well. Youre thinking of buying another 4Runner, one w/ 4 doors??? Family time?? ANYWAY... get a nice clean 2nd gen and have your axle from your old Runner put under it. Hell, you have all the parts to do it. Sounds like you prefer the solid axle set-up......... get yourself one "o" these and get to it.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Actually Downey is working on another IFS setup that does away with the T bars altogether.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=Downey
Hot diggity-dog-diggity boom!! That sure looks like what I'm talking about.