Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How the 3rd gen should have been and now I want more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the 3rd gen should have been and now I want more.

Hello all, just wanted to say I have my supercharger all hooked up and running. Fist impressions are:
Holy gummy bears
Holy gummy bears
Holy gummy bears
I want more power

I'm not running any fuel mods currently so water meth will be here in a week or so. So far no ping and only had the cel for running lean come on once when I gave it some good gas up a hill. As I have made most of my friends get a 4runner I can't help but mentioning my sc every time I see them. This is how they should have come from the factory. Oh and one more thing I picked up the sc from a place in Cali for 120 shipped to my house. Had to make all the brackets my self and got the dynamic tensioner of amazon. Pics soon!

Last edited by vital22re; 06-11-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: bypassing censor.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the SC is how it should have come stock. Don't boost it until you get some fuel mods. That lean CEL meant you are seeing EGT's of almost 2000 degrees most likely.

A water/meth kit can make it safer but unless you get bulk methanol you will still need a 7th injector.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Yup I can get it by the drum for sorta cheap just gotta piece together my watermeth system.
Now when it's all hooked up will I need a controller for the meth or will a pressure sensor work fine?
Also I know in a early year Prius if you unplugged the o2 sensors it ran really rich would this have the same affect on our runners. You could make a switch with a double throw relay to turn them off for hills?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blown96
Yup I can get it by the drum for sorta cheap just gotta piece together my watermeth system.
Now when it's all hooked up will I need a controller for the meth or will a pressure sensor work fine?
Also I know in a early year Prius if you unplugged the o2 sensors it ran really rich would this have the same affect on our runners. You could make a switch with a double throw relay to turn them off for hills?
To use the methanol injection as your extra fuel system you will need a progressive controller, I like the Coolingmist CMGS myself.

Then get a bigger nozzle, 10-14gph should do for most trucks if this is the sole source of extra fuel and injecting pure methanol.

Don't mess with the O2 sensor or anything else for that matter. The ECU will first off freak out if you disconnected it but also there is no reason. I ran a completely stock electronics with just a meth kit for almost 2 years without an issue.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM

So looking that up what are the input sand outputs on it and think I could make one for cheaper then the 250 I can use a Arduino am suck for programming?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

So looking that up what are the input sand outputs on it and think I could make one for cheaper then the 250 I can use a Arduino am suck for programming?
Well, That is pretty hard to understand but I think I get the jist of it.

An Arduino should be able to do this, I would be surprised if someone has not done it already actually. The biggest thing you need is the ability to output a PWM signal with at least a 15amp load capability.

The rest is just a matter of using a Map sensor for the load input, you could also get the RPM signal and create a 3d map for the injection as well, all sorts of options. I would see what others have done before starting.

The end result is that you need to be able to ramp the pump up in duty cycle, otherwise you will have way too much down low and not near enough up top. Even with progressive control there will be some variance from the low end to top end in AFR but it is well within reason and more then safe when using 10gph+ of meth injection.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM

What about using injector duty cycle that could give a good point of fuel needs.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

What about using injector duty cycle that could give a good point of fuel needs.
Actually in the case of the 4runner when supercharged that is a very bad idea. The fuel curve is completely wrong on the stock ECU for the supercharger which is why we need the fuel mods so bad to start with.

It keeps reasonably consistent AFR's up to around 4500rpm but above that it goes very lean. It could also be improved across the board.

Best bet is RPM/Boost for the methanol control. You could try tapping into the MAF sensor but not many have luck with that.

You could get real fancy and have it control a set of extra injectors to get super precise fueling and have those injectors fed by the meth kit. I had a setup like this built for my MR2 before I changed setups, still plan to do that but a different way.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah I was wondering if I could use injectors with watermeth. So rpm and boost will get me a nice map but if I'm doing the programming can I make the bypass on a actuator so it closes and opens when I want thus becoming a fail safe. I I would think you can get better response from the pedal if it shut as soon as you touched the gas. I'm a little new to Arduino but I think this can work. The main board only costs like 20 bucks so this should be a much cheaper alternative to a kit from cooling must or devils own. Also some searching has produced "waterduino" that was made for this in 2010 however seems to be dead now and only a YouTube video and half blank website remain.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

You can use injectors with methanol, not water. You will not be injecting any water most likely so that is not a problem. Pure meth is where it is at anyways.

You could rig up a failsafe to the bypass, you would need a vacuum resivior for it to work but it can be done. Best just letting the by-pass handle itself for boost response, it is almost instant and the supercharger response is instant so no reason to mess with it.

I have heard about and read about the Arduino but never messed with it personally, never had a reason. I do know that it will cost a lot more then you think all said and done and a TON of time to get it working right. Be warned and do a lot of reading on the Arduino boards.

If you wanted to use some injectors for the injection you would also need to either have some good fab/welding skills or know someone that does. The pre-made spare injector holders run about $100 and you still have to weld them into place. You would need at least 2 injectors and have them timed just so for it to work.

Really at that point better off just buying something like the AEM FIC and letting it handle it, it has a lot of other features as well. This is what I was planning on using.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 AM

Well I guess pure meth it is. Haha and im 21 so time I have to fool around. I think I'll get a basic meth setup running first. As for a fabricator I can have my dad build up stuff he's been a welder for ever and I work part time at a fab shop so that should be a snap.