Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hose into engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hose into engine

Everyday i notice something else about this truck that needs to be fixed or replaced.. Ok.. new problem now.. I was looking around the engine yesterday and spied something in the back behind the air filter that looked wierd. I have a 22R engine for people that don't know (but everyone should as many problems as i have been having). There is a hose on the back top part of the engine. It runs right into the header and there is electrical tape holding this hose into the engine. It seems there was a plastic connector peice there and it was broken at one time or another so the people applied so kind of glue which really is not holding it that well and wrapped it in electrical tape. What is this hose for? It is the only one of the top back part of the 22R engine. What does it do? If i need to I will take a picture and post that. I would like to know what this hose does and what the plastic connector peice that was broken was so i can again.... have something else on this truck fixed...
Old 11-29-2003, 12:54 PM

bump
Old 11-29-2003, 03:47 PM

EGR/emissions related possibly?

I really don't know... I'm not familiar with 22r's, but I'll give ya' a bump

I'll look to see if one of my manuals covers the 22r just as soon as I get through eating dinner.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:16 PM

hmmmm.... I'm not finding anything that even remotely sounds like what you're describing. I went out and took a look under the hood of WATRD's '88 (parts runner), and there aren't any hoses coming off the exhaust... The closest I can find is the air injection rail, but that's a metal tube, with no plastic connectors...

What are the specs for the rig? Is it turbo or anything special like that?

ChrisCo
Old 11-29-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 22R here myself. If you do mean the hose is running into the headers, and not the head, then I wouldn't think a piece of plastic would last long against hot exhaust temperatures.

Perhaps you could hijack someones digital camera or scanner so we can all see what you're trying to figure out?
Old 11-29-2003, 05:24 PM

The only thing I can think of is the PCV valve hose??? That runs from the base of the carb up to the valve cover. I don't recall ever seeing a hose to the header.... But I think I have some digi pics under the hood of my truck, let me browese, and then maybe you can compare... just a minute!
Old 11-29-2003, 05:27 PM

Anything look familiar to you? The air cleaner is off, but there are only three tubes coming off of it. One is a tiny one (hanging in the pic with some tape around it towards the left of the pic. Another goes down into the plastic chamber at the bottom of the pic, and the third runs from the front of the aircleaner assembly down to the silver opening on the valve cover, right above the y.

(And yes, I know, I have the cleanest engine bay this side of the mississippi)

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 11-29-2003 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:54 PM

Sorry for not being very descriptive earlier.. Thanks for all the replies guys.. I have circled the hose in the pic. Like i said.. the connector is just glued back together.. and not glued very well.. still wiggling etc.. and then just electrical tape around it and the bottom of the hose... Not very nice looking and it worries me a little when i look at it.. What is this hose? How much you think to replace it and the connector? If i can order the parts i can prolly do it myself.
Attached Thumbnails Hose into engine-74215268kugjzk_ph.jpg  
Old 11-29-2003, 07:11 PM

That is your PCV valve hose. Definately go and replace the PCV (the plastic connector; its actually a valve that allows the crankcase to vent air, because as air heats up it expands and it needs somewhere to go). It should only be $3-4. Hopefully the grommet is still good. I couldn't get mine off, it was too heat soaked, it would just break.

The plastic piece should come out and then there will be a rubber grommet still in there. That might be baked to a plastic consistency though. Atleast replace the PCV valve, if it goes into the grommet and it isn't a tight fit, you will need to replace the grommet as well. Just be careful not to get any pieces in the valve cover.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 11-29-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:13 PM

Gotcha.. Think Napa or another auto parts store will have it? Will i have to remove the header or will it just pull out? That is the header right? or is it the valve cover.. i have so much to learn. Thanks for all the help so far.. I feel like with all this truck needs i could have bought a new one
Old 11-29-2003, 07:21 PM

Its the valve cover. The header is right below your spark plugs, beneath the heat shield. They are the exhaust tubes coming from the engine block.

Napa, checkers, all of them should have it... Though it took checkers 4 visits for them to re-order it for me. Buy both the valve and the grommet(to be on the safe side). All you have to do is pull the tube off of the old one. Pull the old one out, might have to wiggle it out (and hopefully they didn't glue it to the grommet), then insert the new one. If you don't know which way to put it in, press is to your lips and blow out it with your hand on the other side. You should feel air hitting your hand one way and when its facing the opposite direction, it shouldn't let any air pass. When it does allow air to pass, the side you have your lips on goes onto the valve cover. This is so that the crankcase can expand air out, but it won't suck any in. If it doesn't fit snuggly in there, then you will need a new grommet as well. That's trickier, and I didn't do it myself. Then hook up the hose and you're set.

What other problems are you having? I know I got pretty fed up with my carb too, even bought a reman (BTW DON'T get a holley, they suck more than words can describe). But since none of my holleys worked, I put the original back in. I've run a few bottles of carb cleaner through the fuel, and it seems to run smoother and not give me the hassles it did before.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 11-29-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by 22Ryota
Gotcha.. Think Napa or another auto parts store will have it? Will i have to remove the header or will it just pull out? That is the header right? or is it the valve cover.. i have so much to learn. Thanks for all the help so far.. I feel like with all this truck needs i could have bought a new one
Technically, that's the valve cover, and it's attached to the head (to cover the valves, and to keep oil from squirting all over the place when you start the engine ).

A header is an exhaust manifold, typically not a stock item, and is a performance item.

And, yes, any parts store worth their weight in lead should have a PCV valve for a 22R.

ChrisCo
Old 11-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Ah.. well.. My transmission fluid pan had an extremely bad leak not too long back.. i mean puddles on the carport floor every morning.. It is still a little leaky but i need a new seal on that to stop it. My transmission is acting up (not shifting at the correct points) and the truck was and might still be sucking gas like there is no tomorrow. I think replacing fuel filter and air filter helped the gas mileage but it still doesn't seem right. It is running a little rough but it is prolly time for a tune up. I've only had this truck in my care for about 3 months now. When my family bought it they had it checked up (the mechanic said it was fine but now i am finding little problems since i drive it everyday). It was a hauling truck only used a couple times a month before i started driving it. It had to have new motor mounts when we got it and the vibrations of not having new ones had thrown off the driveshaft. Had to replace all motor mounts, transmission mounts, and have driveshaft corrected. Another little problem i am having with it is while cruising with my foot off the gas there is a squeak under the floor board with a noticeable vibration to accompany it. This only happens when my foot is off the gas.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:34 PM

Sorry about your troubles... Don't know about the squeek. I get squeaks, but from my clutch pedal, and its only in winter.

What MPG are you getting? I only get about 14-17(tops). I run mid-grade gas, not the cheap stuff, but not the premium. Also, mine sucks gas down like none other if I press into the secondaries, but if I keep a light foot, it does pretty good. Also, the dual airfilter mod (see sig) helps the secondaries problem, at least it seemed to. It wouldn't guzzle as much fuel if I did happen to press down into it.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:36 PM

Lol.. thanks for all the help you guys. Don't know where i would be without it. But last time i checked i was getting 12 mpg.. i run the cheap gas for low budget purposes (high school student that is jobless at the moment).
Old 11-29-2003, 07:51 PM

I know all about the highschool situation. I only run mid grade because I was going to with the new carb, but that didn't work out, so I figured what's good for the one is good for the other.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:55 PM

Lol.. Yep.. Not fun. I get some ok money though doing computer repairs for people. Tomorrow i will head to O'Reillys auto parts (only one in town open on Sunday) and pick up a grommet and pcv valve. Looked it up on there site and can get both for about $5. Might try and pick up some carb cleaner too. I've run one bottle through it but it might help to run another too. Would it be better to run some Murphy's Mystery Oil through the fuel system? I've heard that can work pretty well also. next project after this one will be some new spark plugs and wires. Then time for a tune up and transmission work. What would you recommend for plugs and wires? Any brand over the other?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Banned

The PCV hose is supposed to be held on with a metal pinch clamp. Somone probably lost it so they did the glue/tape thing. I'd just use a 15 cent hardware store clamp if I were you, or get one next time I go plundering the junkyards.

Since you don't really know what you have, get Genuine Toyota Dist. cap, rotor and plug wires. These things have high discharge ignitions and lots of cheap non-Toyota rotors, caps and wires can't get all the juice to the plug. I use NKG or Denso plugs. I'm still getting 20 MPG on 32" tires and 5 speed from my 22R with 209000 miles.

I can't begin to suggest anything about your leaky tranny or its bad shifting condition. That's what you get for buying an automatic. I'm sure it has a lot to do with your terrible fuel economy.

I kid!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Banned

Now that I think about it more, get a mechanic with some practice on Toy trucks to do a full tuneup. They will adjust your valves and get your timing just right. While they have the valve cover off its a good time to do the PCV valve and gromet so you don't have to worry about gromet pieces getting in your valve train.