Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hood's off, got parts, big hands.... PCV

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood's off, got parts, big hands.... PCV

Ok folks, i have the 11' pliers, the 2 foot flexable grabber do-hickey, hood off for ease of movement, and no clue on to which line i am looking for to tackle this pcv valve replacement. I am directly on top off the engine looking behind the plenum and see 3 hoses. Which one am i attacking ?
Sounds like a rook, which i am to this yota thing, but dont want to pull on something that i dont need to just to create more problems
If there are any pics of the 3vze engine showing this, that would be great. I am trying to kill the RICH GAS smell monster that is living in the engine and figured a clogged pcv valve would be a good starting point. Upon start up, having heavy fuel smell and water dripping from exhaust pipe. No trouble codes or idiot lights blasting on the dash.... Rig does not sputter on acceleration and actually runs very well with 165k miles. Next step is checking the catalytic converter...........
Be gentle you Veterans, trying to be as detailed as possible in describing my situation
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Protector of the Flag................
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Hey! Welcome to the PCV valve replacement club! If you are looking at the back of the engine, I think you are looking in the wrong area. The PCV valve is on the passenger side valve cover underneath the plenum mixed in with all the other hoses. If you stand at the passenger side fender looking at the engine, you will see a hose comming directly at you, do a sharp u turn upwards, and then go into your plenum. The whole hose is only about 6 inches long and about as big around as a finger. It may have a little piece of insulation wraped around the hose right where it makes the u turn.

Sorry, I don't have any pics. I don't own a digi cam. Too poor. :cry:

Well, have fun.
Daniel
Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so glad mine is a 3.4, ours are in front and easy to get to. Apparently you guys have a major PITA jobs just to get to it.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 PM

DONE!!!!!! No use of hands for a couple of days, but DONE. You could hardly recognize the old valve and the grommet was toast- caked with oil and carbon. Gonna run some seafoam treatments and then concentrate on the catalytic converter. Still a bunch of rich fumes deploying from the exhaust, hope it will adjust out. From the looks of the valve, the cat itself is probably junked out as well. You can tell this rig was denied TLC from the previous owner. Thanks to those who had "legitimate" feedback--------

Protector of the flag......