Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hitch mount cargo carriers. Opinions/suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch mount cargo carriers. Opinions/suggestions.

Over the last 2 weeks, I was thinking long and hard about selling the 4Runner to get a 4th Gen DC Tacoma. Then I realized that I'd lose the auto up/down controls on the windows, so scratch that idea!

The reason why I was considering a Tacoma was, because when hunting, hiking, etc., I'd like to just throw my dirty boots and clothes in the bed and not worry about messing up the interior. Plus, we won't have to smell it on the way home. So looking for some alternatives on the 4Runner, I think this hitch mount carrier would do the job. What do you guys think? Anyone used this before? The only negative I see is if the place we were going to was off the beaten path, clearance might become an issue.

Anyway, before going out to do anything on my 4Runner, I always ask this crew. Any inputs/suggestions? Here is the link to the hitch mount I found.

Oh, I also thought about the roof mount rack, which might be a better solution, since it will be more versitile as far as carrying cargo.

Post away! And Merry Christmas.

Last edited by cackalak han; 12-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Why don't you just get one of those large rubbermaid (or equivalent) storage containers with a lid and put it in the back of your Runner? Thats what I do.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
recently i was thinking about these too! when the wife and i decide we're moving (sometime in the summer to go EAST), i figure we'll need a little extra storage space than the back of the runner. so the hitch carrier was an option. but recently was turned onto the idea of the coleman rack from costco.com.

i saw a thread about this, went to the site, and sure enough, a $75 rack with the same rating (based on mounting the racks on stock crossbars) and basically same dimensions as the yakima road warrior. i turned to the wife, said we "needed" this as it will be on backorder in a couple days (or weeks...months...NEVER)

needless to say, i've nixed the hitch carrier and am ordering one of the coleman racks asap. ok, i'm going to order it now...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, either an interior container or a roof rack would be the best way to go. those things just look cumbersome
Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 PM

I don't think I would want that on the back all the time, and IMO it would be a hassle to put on and take off for some day hikes. It might become a target at the trailheads on overnight backpacking trips (On different occasions, my buddy and a different guy I know have been victims of that here in IN). If odor is that bad, maybe get one of those big rubber tubs used as basement organizers. If ya do, make sure it seals nice and tight, and not just have latches that hold it down (the stank might seep out).
Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The more I think about it, the worse the idea seems. I think the roof rack is the answer. Nuthuts, you will have to let me know how that coleman rack works out (w/ pics ). I'd really be interested in that.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM

I am looking for a hitch mounted cargo carrier. For me it seems more versatile and easier to load. Like the other night I needed to get firewood, that would have been perfect. Also when going to the coast I can load the ice chests and other things there and not worry about them being sandy. Additionally I dont have to worry about climibing up to the roof and the loss of gas mileage due to those things on the roof.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

cackalack i have the coleman right now, it's got a 150 lb limit which is great for my spare and recovery tools, i'm sure your dirty laundry should be fine check my sig for pictures
Old 12-18-2007, 06:16 PM

I have a mount with one of those plastic boxes on it for hauling stuff to and from the cottage. It has as much clearance as the rest of the vehicl and I sometimes go up the old rock road to get there. This is a 4wd road only. Never had a problem.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 AM

I would just go with the cargo carrier and then you can strap anything you want to it! The cargo carriers come in under $200.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Angstrom
I have a mount with one of those plastic boxes on it for hauling stuff to and from the cottage. It has as much clearance as the rest of the vehicl and I sometimes go up the old rock road to get there. This is a 4wd road only. Never had a problem.
Do you have a picture you can post? Also, which brand did you go with?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 AM

i had the "Valley" cargo basket, and it worked ok, but your departure angle is non existant.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The more I think about it, the worse the idea seems. I think the roof rack is the answer. Nuthuts, you will have to let me know how that coleman rack works out (w/ pics ). I'd really be interested in that.
personally, i like my hitch-hauler that i bought...i got one of the aluminum ones that is really lite, yet holds up to 500 pounds...i just bought one of the deals where it raises up the basket, so it wouldn't affect departure angles, and it also allows me to fold it up out of the way when not in use. but i see where you guys would like the roof rack better, but i can't do that...it's kinda hard loading a 200-pound buck onto the roof!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM

I think I am going to (one day) get one of the motorcycle carriers that hook to the back. Or just get a trailer with a hoop for the bike's front tire...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God
I think I am going to (one day) get one of the motorcycle carriers that hook to the back. Or just get a trailer with a hoop for the bike's front tire...
If you end up getting the hitch carrier for the motorcycles, look into getting air bags or stiffer springs, because you will SAAAAG! I'd get a trailer instead.

Speaking of, a tiny trailer for me isn't out of the question, either. Definitely more useful than a roof rack or hitch carrier, but more cumbersome.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a rear basket for my hitch. Matches the roof rack. I use it for camping only, it works good, but, looks kinda funny. I don't mind tho.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
If you end up getting the hitch carrier for the motorcycles, look into getting air bags or stiffer springs, because you will SAAAAG! I'd get a trailer instead.

Speaking of, a tiny trailer for me isn't out of the question, either. Definitely more useful than a roof rack or hitch carrier, but more cumbersome.
Yeah, I think a trailer is the best choice overall. Not to mention you can take a back half of a Taco or something and make one out of the bed. How cool would that be?

I will be going with the Tundra/LC setup with bags in the future. No sag for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...chHauler01.jpg

I bought a Hitch Hauler a few years ago. Carry mostly camping gear on it-in it. I tie down the big plastic containers you talk about and haul my gear. I have used it with a couple different vehicles now. As long as you have a 2" hitch, you are good to go. The only thing I would change with mine is to get an adapter to raise it. It sits too low depending on your hitch location.

Last edited by phildelfino; 12-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.