Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

hit an animal....need a new bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hit an animal....need a new bumper

well----

I just nailed a big alaskan husky with my 1st gen 4runner today--bent the bumper and broke the valance and messed up the alignment. I felt bad for the dog, but im pretty sure it died instantly as there was blood on the front of the truck. this is the second time i would have to replace the front bumper-- i now have a collection of 2 bent bumpers in my backyard. im through with toyotas cheap, self destructing parts. I need to get a super heavy duty a-hole proof bumper--anyone got any suggestions where i could acquire one, and i dont mean some square 400+ dollar bumper that i could make myself. I would like something solid, heavy and able to be used off road. maybe some sort of nerf-bar type setup, where the bars come up and away from the grille. Any suggestions would be great ( used ones are cool too )!

Tim

Last edited by Robinhood150; 11-24-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a 6' piece of cord oak. Seriously, if you don't like ARB, or TJM and don't want another stocker, find a straight, green piece of oak. It is hardy, disposbale and has a naturalistic feel about it.

Did you make sure the dog was dead, or just assumed because of the 'blood'? There is no politically correct manner in which to crush a families pet. I hope you stopped and verified if the dog was dead, or at least notified the owners of their dog's fate.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

I'd care more about the dog that you hit and just assumed was dead because of the "blood" than my stupid bumper.

My two year old pitbull/dalmation that I found as a stray and eventually became my best friend was hit and killed by a pickup on June 14th of this year...luckily the man that hit it stopped and stayed with us until we eventually took him to the vet where they pronounced him dead.

A person that could hit a dog, assume its dead and then bitch about a new dented front bumper just blow me away. How self-centered can you be???

Fink
Old 11-24-2003, 11:57 AM

I hit a dog once with my old car. I was going west on one of the state highways between I-5 and SR-99 in CA. I was cruising at the speed limit, and up ahead there was some kid and his dog within the fence of their farm. On the freeway side of the fence there was like 5 other dogs that were just hanging out there. Just as I approached the area of where the dogs were, one of them just decides to cross the road. I hit the poor dog with my right front tire, and he spins around, with a broken left shoulder. I pulled over and picked up the poor dog off the road. He was trying to cross with only three legs, and kept falling onto the road. He had pissed himself, and was crying out in pain. I asked the kid whose dog it was, and he had no clue. There was no tag for the owner and the dog had no collar. I had just come back from driving a family friend (a priest no less) to see the bishop of San Bernadino. I was going to get my gun and do a coup de grace but he told me to just leave the dog. We were miles from anywhere and there was no animal hospital anywhere nearby so I did just that. I left that poor dog on the side of the road very much alive. I felt pretty bad about that and I still do. I do believe that the owner of the dog should have secured the dog so that this or some other accident could have been avoided. In the end it is the owner's responsibility to keep their dog off the street, or in this case, the highway.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that must have been a big husky. I hit a pretty large coyote once at 75 mph and although it put a good dent in my skid plate there was no damage to the bumper or valance. And no I didn't stop to see if the coyote was still alive, there was no way it survived that hit.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:15 PM

hey 4x4 fink

for your information-- its the stupid owners fault that his dog got destroyed!!!! not mine!! if i run over your loose dog in my tacoma and it caused 10k damage to my truck-- I would sue the crap out of you until you couldnt afford another dog!! how many dollars is an animal with an IQ of 8 worth anyways-- should i have swerved and killed all my friends because some loser dog owner didnt want to train his dog not to wander out in the freeway?????????? HOW SELF CENTERED ARE YOU? would you kill a person for a stray dog?

by the way-- im not self centered, i picked up the carcass, called animal control and got the address of the owner from animal control and delivered his dog carcass to his doorstep ( along with the other alaskan husky that was wandering around on the street which i SAVED and was still alive ) why dont you ask next time? do you have a problem with getting all the facts straight first before you flame someone?

Tim
Old 11-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bang

Bummer about hitting the dog man and the damage to your rig.

It is painful to lose a pet. I am a big time dog lover of labrador retrievers. I've always had a lab up until I had kids. I've had (3) black labs and (2) choco labs and we will get one as soon as my boys are older and a bit bigger. Labs can be a bit rough when playing with little ones and hurt them unintentionally, thus we don't have one right now. I can't imagine losing any of them to getting hit by a car, so I always made sure I had a big enough yard to fence (I have an acre privacy fence right now) in so they could have enough room to run and play around and were protected from others and themselves cause dogs don't know any better than to run out in front of a car, unless they unfortunately learn from experience and live to remember it.

Right now I live in the country now and it is quite annoying to say the least to constantly "police" the neighbor's roaming dogs (even though they are labs and I love labs) out of my garbage, front porch, flower beds, pooping in my yard, etc. Unless you live on a farm and have a lot of land away from other people who don't want a dog, please keep your dog to yourself in a fence or on a chain, for your dog's safety and out of politeness to your neighbors.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 11-24-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Duffdog
hey 4x4 fink

for your information-- its the stupid owners fault that his dog got destroyed!!!! not mine!! if i run over your loose dog in my tacoma and it caused 10k damage to my truck-- I would sue the crap out of you until you couldnt afford another dog!! how many dollars is an animal with an IQ of 8 worth anyways-- should i have swerved and killed all my friends because some loser dog owner didnt want to train his dog not to wander out in the freeway?????????? HOW SELF CENTERED ARE YOU? would you kill a person for a stray dog?

by the way-- im not self centered, i picked up the carcass, called animal control and got the address of the owner from animal control and delivered his dog carcass to his doorstep ( along with the other alaskan husky that was wandering around on the street which i SAVED and was still alive ) why dont you ask next time? do you have a problem with getting all the facts straight first before you flame someone?

Tim
no need to get bent out of shape. he didnt have all the info and said something about the info that he had. we have all done it at one point or another. and if you arent bent out of shape, well then my apologies

for the bumper, i would suggest ebay and search there. im sure something would pop up for pretty cheap. you also might wanna go over to 4x4wire and check out the forsale forum there or post that you need a bumper. someone might have an extra laying around and you could get a good deal on it. best of luck to you in getting it fixed~!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Let's have one big group hug
Old 11-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hug hug
Old 11-24-2003, 03:48 PM

re bumper

Doink, J, MT

My hat tips to you guys. no need to get defensive as we are all one big family here (A family of dysfunctional toyota fanatics)

As for the bumper I have a rear quarter pannel you can have. OOpps you didnt by chance back into the dog ?:cry: If its the front then I would suggest any local junkyard as the runners are common and I would try to haggle the price down.
If your in the bay area I know of a few place that have the stock bumpers right now. Don't do ebay as the shipping will kill you and you have to wait..

Or try an ARB My rule of thumb is "if it aint broke dont fix it if it is broke upgrade it....

good luck to you Big Kahuna:pig:
Old 11-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't mean to offend anybody...

When I saw my dog get hit by that Dodge...it was like a part of me died right there on that pavement with him. I saw the look on his face as he spun across the pavement and cried out...it was horrible. And I'll be honest...I had stronger feelings for that dog than half of my friends...dogs are a mans best friend.

And about it being the owners responsibility...trust me, I know. Do you not think that I took TOTAL blame for what happened to my dog? I was driving down the road and I looked back and I saw him running his heart out after me, I looked to the road and saw the Dodge...I had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach...I knew it was going to happen. And guess what I did....NOTHING, I sat on my ass and watched the whole thing happen...that moment haunts me to this day.

I'm sorry for lashing out its just I am an avid dog lover and owner...I didn't have all the facts and was just going on what I was told like Doink said...I apologize.

Over this past summer I rescued 8 border collies and their mom off of my 15 acres...apparently the owner couldn't handle the pregnant mom and just decided that a dirt road in the middle of the night was a PERFECT place for them to be born.

Anyway...my rambling session is over. Good luck with the bumper...I'm in the process of replacing mine.

Fink
Old 11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

yo man-
i know you said you didnt want a toyota bumper again, but i found this and thought you might wanna check it out. hopefully that could help
Old 11-25-2003, 04:08 AM

What great group

I must say I'm happy to be part of such a cool group.....Most groups would have handled this differently and created an uproar... I'm glad everyone can express there opions and move on...with no hard feelings. . Chris
Old 11-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

I admit I did sound a little more angered than I really was, I admit that.

But you're right

As far as the bumper, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an ARB for my rig...

Fink
Old 11-25-2003, 09:47 AM

hey guys,,

I get brand new toyota front bumpers for 35 dollars-- but thats not what i want. Im going to go to my friend at a metal shop and see about fabricating a simple strong bumper. I bet he could come up with something for a lot less than 500 dollars. Ill let everyone know what he comes up with since it seems like there is a high demand for stonger toyota front bumpers--

Tim
Old 11-25-2003, 09:49 AM

the stock 1st gen 4Runner bumpers are crap. I would go with an ARB personally.

You could also go with something like an all-pro front bumper or another one of the smaller companies:
http://www.allprooffroad.com/bumper.html
Old 11-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Duffdog
hey guys,,

I get brand new toyota front bumpers for 35 dollars-- but thats not what i want. Im going to go to my friend at a metal shop and see about fabricating a simple strong bumper. I bet he could come up with something for a lot less than 500 dollars. Ill let everyone know what he comes up with since it seems like there is a high demand for stonger toyota front bumpers--

Tim
ahh, ok. i totally misread your post. my apologies.:pat: