YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

hissing noise in the rear diff

hey guys i meant to ask if pressure buildup is normal in the rear diff. i changed the oil out a month or so ago and forgot to ask. when i loosened the fill plug it hissed.. never had one do that to me.. granted i have only had jeeps in the past.. first yota
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Staff

eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
check your diff breather. it may be clogged.

pacific-crawlers.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
check your diff breather. it may be clogged.
so i am assuming its not supposed to have built of up pressure?? also where is that breather??
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Staff

eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
Click the image to open in full size.
borrowed from wattora (thanks rob )

while your at it you might as well do the diff breather extension mod, http://www.wattora.com/index.php?page_id=12

pacific-crawlers.com
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
If you let that pressure go too long, eventually you're going to have blown axle seals and a set of rear drums that refuse to let go even with the e-brake off and pedal released (ie you'll be in need of a rear brake job and have to change those too).

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner View Post
If you let that pressure go too long, eventually you're going to have blown axle seals and a set of rear drums that refuse to let go even with the e-brake off and pedal released (ie you'll be in need of a rear brake job and have to change those too).

so how do i unclog this? oh and thanks. ill probably just clean it and put it back on. i dont see much mud at all.. thank mtc
Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

how do you clean the factory diff breather? can you take it apart and clean it what??? i doubt ill do the mod.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
The stock breather doesn't always bleed off pressure, so it is natural to have some in there. It works by bleeding off when the top is swiveled by hitting a bump or what not. Next time you drive your 4Runner just reach up to the breather and move it around, the pressure should then bleed off.
OME springs/shocks F/R

VZN185L-GKPZKA 4.300 With P265/70R16
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
The stock breather doesn't always bleed off pressure, so it is natural to have some in there. It works by bleeding off when the top is swiveled by hitting a bump or what not. Next time you drive your 4Runner just reach up to the breather and move it around, the pressure should then bleed off.
oh ok good deal. i may take it off to check and see if its clogged though
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I check mine constantly, as I enjoy submerging my axles on a regular basis. The way I do it is to first remove and clean the breather, use solvent then rinse thoroughly and dry. Then I blow into the open end gently to see if it vents. I like to feel a "pop" as I blow just hard enough to open the valve. Next, suck the same end and see if it seals. It should be impossible to suck air in through the top, which by the way does not allow the valve to be opened. There's no swivel involved. If that were the case the valve would be forced open at the slightest force. It is not designed to do so, infact it's designed not to. This keeps water out while submerged in breif circumstances where needed, if it were to be bumped open in a stream crossing/deep mudhole that would be trouble. Toyota knows better.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-21-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
I check mine constantly, as I enjoy submerging my axles on a regular basis. The way I do it is to first remove and clean the breather, use solvent then rinse thoroughly and dry. Then I blow into the open end gently to see if it vents. I like to feel a "pop" as I blow just hard enough to open the valve. Next, suck the same end and see if it seals. It should be impossible to suck air in through the top, which by the way does not allow the valve to be opened. There's no swivel involved. If that were the case the valve would be forced open at the slightest force. It is not designed to do so, infact it's designed not to. This keeps water out while submerged in breif circumstances where needed, if it were to be bumped open in a stream crossing/deep mudhole that would be trouble. Toyota knows better.
hmm interesting! maybe you should to the diff breather mod
Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yes I am interested in that one. I'm still at the top of a looooooong list of future goodies. You know I heard recently the average joe spends approximately 8-10 years on his project truck, before it gets to the just maintainence phase.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
Yes I am interested in that one. I'm still at the top of a looooooong list of future goodies. You know I heard recently the average joe spends approximately 8-10 years on his project truck, before it gets to the just maintainence phase.

LOL i can beleive it
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

I had mine hiss at me too at one time...eventually like MTL said I did have to do a brake job and replace the rear seals cus' they got gummy from the axle grease/fluid. I like to submerge my axles too during water crossings and big puddles, the diff breather mod is only like $10 and it's well worth the piece of mind.
Performance:Yellow Top,Custom Dual Vortex Exhaust, Magnaflow Hi-flo CAT, K&N FIPK, Diff Breather Mod
Wheels & Tires:315 16x9's on MOTO METALS

Lights:Silver Reverse Glow Gauges, Hella 500's

Armor:Trailgear Sliders, Taco ARB

"Sounds stupid. . .sign me up!"
Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

well i dont submerge lol!! couldnt i just get by with cleaning the factory breather??
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

From what i learned, if you're in mud, or water over your wheels/tires periodically---it's good to extend the breather. On 3rd gen's the front is already extended, it's the rear you have to mod. Should cold water or some slick mud get in the breather....cold water and hot diff oil don't mix----BYAH..blown axle seals or leaks IMHO.
Performance:Yellow Top,Custom Dual Vortex Exhaust, Magnaflow Hi-flo CAT, K&N FIPK, Diff Breather Mod
Wheels & Tires:315 16x9's on MOTO METALS

Lights:Silver Reverse Glow Gauges, Hella 500's

Armor:Trailgear Sliders, Taco ARB

"Sounds stupid. . .sign me up!"
Old 03-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

gotcha thanks guys
Old 03-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 89, 94, axle, back, breather, diff, differential, hiss, hisses, hissing, jeep, noise, rear, regear