Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Help

I have finally saved up a lil extra money to get and HID conversion kit for the runner and am looking for advice in the following areas:

Color Temp: I want that blueish look so I am leaning towards 8000k but want to make sure I'm not sacrificing too much light output but going that high.

Product: I have seen some good deals on EBay and have found some kits with one year warranties so I am leaning towards those. I remember reading to look for kits with Hella ballasts. Any other good ballast companies to look out for? What about McCulloch?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Search for posts by PFDAXE, he knows alot on lighting and has discussed the issue many times.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gladden
I have finally saved up a lil extra money to get and HID conversion kit for the runner and am looking for advice in the following areas:

Color Temp: I want that blueish look so I am leaning towards 8000k but want to make sure I'm not sacrificing too much light output but going that high.

Product: I have seen some good deals on EBay and have found some kits with one year warranties so I am leaning towards those. I remember reading to look for kits with Hella ballasts. Any other good ballast companies to look out for? What about McCulloch?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Stay away from anything with higher than a 5000 kelvin rating(color temp.) Most, if not all OEM HIDs are 4100k. The 8000k will be blue, but you'll be sacrificing light output and a possible ticket from police. Also, stay away from Korean kits. Stay with Philips, Hella or Osram as far as bulbs. Most of the kits on Ebay tend to be junk. They may have Hella/Philips ballast which are good, but they have no-name bulbs that do not last. I would suggest a Hi-Lo kit with quality components. Here's a link to one of the better kits available:

http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/...t_H4_4100k.htm

...and yes...try the search function for more info on HIDs. I use a 4100k Philips ballast and bulb kit and the light output looks like a Lexus as far as color and performance.

Paul

Last edited by pfdaxe; 05-29-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Stay away from anything with higher than a 5000 kelvin rating(color temp.) Most, if not all OEM HIDs are 4100k. The 8000k will be blue, but you'll be sacrificing light output and a possible ticket from police. Also, stay away from Korean kits. Stay with Philips, Hella or Osram as far as bulbs. Most of the kits on Ebay tend to be junk. They may have Hella/Philips ballast which are good, but they have no-name bulbs that do not last. I would suggest a Hi-Lo kit with quality components. Here's a link to one of the better kits available:

http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/...t_H4_4100k.htm

...and yes...try the search function for more info on HIDs. I use a 4100k Philips ballast and bulb kit and the light output looks like a Lexus as far as color and performance.

Paul
Is there a need to replace the lenses (the glass cover of the headlight) when replacing the stock lamps with HID ones?

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:25 PM

I think 8000k is totally an overkill
Old 05-29-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Is there a need to replace the lenses (the glass cover of the headlight) when replacing the stock lamps with HID ones?

Thank you.
No...you can keep the stock housings.

The thing you have to remember is that the OEM housings were not designed for HIDs. You have to make sure you have "shielding" on the bottom of the H4 adapted HID bulb. If you don't, you will loose light output and with have stray "yellow" light. The reason behind the shielding is to eliminate the light from the HID hitting the bottom half of the reflector. That part of the reflector is use by the OEM H4 halogen bulbs high beam. By shielding the HID on the bottom, you'll get the most light output and correct color. You'll also have to re-aim once installed. The ideal install would be a projector type light such as a Bi-Xenon, but that would set you back around $800 or so...
Old 05-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..... The ideal install would be a projector type light such as a Bi-Xenon, but that would set you back around $800 or so...
With the projector-type Bi-Xenon, is it also needed to shield the bottom part and re-aim?

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Projectors are a full custom job on 4runners. You would need to take your housings somewhere and have them retrofit in the projectors. He is also dead on about the temp rating, 4300k is supposed to be pure white i believe so anything from 4100k to 5000k should look great. Most HIDs are actually pure white, but they eye sees them as a blueish color because your eyes become used to halogens which produce a yellowish light.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:02 PM

Ahhhhhh! The vanity! What's next trying different combinations of chrome badges on the rear gate?
Old 05-29-2004, 03:17 PM

There is one thing you need to be careful with HIDs , if you get the cheap kit, they will melt, yes I said melt! ... What ever you get , get something name brand, IE, Hella, PIAA, Philips ... dont get a off brand where you cant read the writing on the box.....

Hella makes a good HID
Old 05-29-2004, 03:37 PM

So, the question that I have is, are they really worth it, or would getting some lightforce lights be better off?
Old 05-29-2004, 03:46 PM

HID's are very well worth it, but you need to get a good set, i.e. name brand, but they go for 500 - 700 , but they rock, better then any offroad light
Old 05-29-2004, 03:53 PM

Cool, I'm debating whether I should get these lights or go with a set of light forces. The only problem with these is that you have to modify the light housing which I really don't want to do. The nice thing about the light force lights is that there are all the different filters for different weather.

The reason that I'm looking is because usually when I come home from school or drive back there, it's at night (Less people on the road). There are some sections of road where I've got to see a long ways to look out for any animals. Maybe I'll try and save up for the lightforce HID's, but i'm pretty sure I'd have to sell my legs on the black market to afford those.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:00 PM

David,

HIDs are like driving around with your high beams on all the time, its really nice. I am in the middle of saving my money for a set for offroading too
Old 05-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

What are some Acura's, BMW's and Mercedes that come with HID's? A guy at the wrecking yard where I got all the parts for my engine swap sells me parts really cheap so I want to see if I can get some balast's. Also, do all HID systems use an H4 type bulb?
Thanks

Last edited by 914runner; 05-29-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:06 PM

and i asume you need to take in mind of other driver, i know when i was into imports the major prob with placing HID into non-projector headlights was that direction the light went, allmost everybody would retrofit bmw projectors into the stock houseings, otherwise they would be blinding EVERYBODY on the road, i read about the sheild on the bottom of the lense? will that solve this prob.? and what would be different about installing into a 2nd gen?
Old 05-29-2004, 06:11 PM

Too many questions that have been answered prior

Here's a great web site that will answer every question:

http://hidforum.com/forum/
Old 05-30-2004, 12:03 AM

Too many questions that have been answered prior

Here's a great web site that will answer every question:

http://hidforum.com/forum/
yup very good forum

i have 6000k in the silverado. diamond cut lenses shielded, very nice had them for a long time.
im planning on doin a 4100k projector retrofit in the future
Old 05-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

James, you might not be able to use those ballast at all. I think OEM HIDS use a capsule type bulb and not a standard size like a H4. The H4 type kits have had the bulbs rebased in a standard base so they will mount in halogen housings.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:28 AM

Catz and/or Bellof's HID Kit's are also recommended.....(if you can find them)

GOOD LUCK

-vegasboyy-

Quick Reply: HID Help