Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HG replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG replacement

I just bought my first Toy (93 4runner, V6) and love it. But after reading many posts here I call the dealership to check on the HG recall and if it applies. Good news it does. Is there anything I should have them do while they have it apart. I know enough about engines to get myself in trouble so I look to all you experts out there.

thanks
mike
Old 03-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by axon
I just bought my first Toy (93 4runner, V6) and love it. But after reading many posts here I call the dealership to check on the HG recall and if it applies. Good news it does. Is there anything I should have them do while they have it apart. I know enough about engines to get myself in trouble so I look to all you experts out there.

thanks
mike
Is it leaking right now? If not, here's a tip... If it's not leaking right now, you may want to wait until it does. This way, you have a greater chance of getting a whole new long block (complete engine) . The dealer basis this descision on the amount of damage caused by the leaking gasket IE: Bearings, block warpage, cracked cylinder heads, etc...
The longer you run, the better your chances.

As for what to replace: Water pump, timing belt, two idler pullies. Often the dealer will try to get you to pay for: Broken head bolts, gaskets and the all-important knock sensor assembly. Just say "NO" . The campaign covers any incidental repairs which may be attributed to the leaking gasket. EG: The tech will certainly bust several head bolts during the removal. The dealer must replace them at no cost to you. This is very important when it comes to things like the knock sensor, which must be disturbed, in order to remove the head. Once you move this thing, the wires break, due to being housed in a high-heat environment. Another item to watch for is the o2 sensor. IF your HG is leaking internally, the antifreeze has contaminated the sensor. Make the dealer replace it under the campaign.

Keep in mind, the dealer is trying to complete this warranty job using as little of their resources as possible. The most junior tech is going to get this job and they will try to minimize as much as they can. You need to be well-informed BEFORE you take it in. As an example...I had one done about this time last year. The dealer tried all kinds of brush offs...the funniest was when, after 3 shots at replacing just the gaskets, he wanted to try running some liquid block sealer through it. That was too much for me, and I got my Angry Consumer hat on and demanded they replace the whole engine, as per the campaign coverage (due to warpage run-out which they didn't check until I suggested they might).

Bottom line...be aware of your 'rights' under the campaign and prepared to demand what is due to you. Don't be intimidated by the dealer and the typical line you may hear..."We're talking about a 12 year old vehicle here..."
Doesn't matter how old, how many owners or how many miles...the campaign covers "Any damage related to the failure of the HG and any incidental costs related to repairing the defect" . For me, that was 49 hours of labour, a rental for the three weeks they had the truck, replaced o2 sensor, and eventually a new long block.
Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 AM

anyone know where I can get a copy of this "campaign memo"
Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

anyone know where I can get a copy of this "campaign memo"
I don't believe you can. I've asked MANY times. Toyota will not release the actual information they provide to the dealer. What they WILL give you, is a courtesy letter, asking you to bring the vehicle in to be inspected/repaired.

I've gleaned my information from many phonecalls and my last experience with the campaign. I'm also getting ready to take another run at it, with a diferent 3.0...I was going to get it done last month, but the truck is running fantastic right now, so I'm just waiting until I'm losing a little more coolant. Seems to be an external leak for me (better for warpage runout!) with no contamination of oil/coolant. The only problem is that I lose about a pint of coolant a week right now.

Is your's leaking or blown? Internal or external? You'll recognize an internal leak by the 'milkshake' appearance ofyour oil , due to contamination. An external leak is characterized by billowing white smoke from your exhaust.

Last edited by Blair; 03-23-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:21 AM

mine seems to be external(oil looks ok, but there is a big cloud of white smoke with every morning start) from the back corner drivers side. I found all the TSB numbers but everyone wants you to pay to see them. Anyone have a copy they can scan and post?

from NHTSA
Service Bulletin Number: EG00298
NHTSA Item Number: 600350

From ALLDATA
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
SSCV06 DEC 97 Campaign - Cylinder Head Gaskets
SPAP9610 OCT 96 Campaign - Head Gasket Repair
SSCP01 JUN 93 Campaign - A/C Expansion Valve

Last edited by axon; 03-23-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 AM

HG problems affect 95 4x4 v6

does the horrifying headgasket problem affect my truck, its a 1995 pickup, 4x4 3.0L... the data on the AllDATA site seems to make me think my truck is covered by the campaign, but I have repeately been told that the problem was fixed before my truck was built. If it was fixed before it was built why would the recall campaign cover my model year? I occasionally seem to notice a tiny of amount of white smoke at the exhaust when initially cranking the truck after its been sitting for more than a couple of hours, is this a sign of the hg problem....not much smoke, only occasionally does it happen...
Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

mine seems to be external from the back corner drivers side. I found all the TSB numbers but everyone wants you to pay to see them. Anyone have a copy they can scan and post?

from NHTSA
Service Bulletin Number: EG00298
NHTSA Item Number: 600350

From ALLDATA
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
SSCV06 DEC 97 Campaign - Cylinder Head Gaskets
SPAP9610 OCT 96 Campaign - Head Gasket Repair
SSCP01 JUN 93 Campaign - A/C Expansion Valve
The TSB's probably won't give you what you're looking for. They only outline the various programs and campaigns. What we want is the information sent to the warranty centers, who do the work. These documents outline things like: Allowable warpage (0.039"), parts covered, allowable expenses like tow trucks, rental cars, etc...

Sounds like you have the infamous 4/6 split, where the HG erodes between cylinder 4 and 6. You may ALREADY have enough warpage there to quallify for a new long block How much coolant are you losing? How much oil are you burning? Any other symptoms?
Keep an eye on both levels, daily! Losing too much will be a nightmare for you...break downs,tow trucks, etc...Most people don't even know the HG is blown until they realize their heater doesn't blow hot anymore...the coolant level has dropped below the heater core. Many have posted that symptom here and gone on to find they have a blown HG. Coolant is contained in a semi-closed circuit...you shouldn't lose ANY, in a properly functioning cooling system
Old 03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by daniel_loz
does the horrifying headgasket problem affect my truck, its a 1995 pickup, 4x4 3.0L... the data on the AllDATA site seems to make me think my truck is covered by the campaign, but I have repeately been told that the problem was fixed before my truck was built. If it was fixed before it was built why would the recall campaign cover my model year? I occasionally seem to notice a tiny of amount of white smoke at the exhaust when initially cranking the truck after its been sitting for more than a couple of hours, is this a sign of the hg problem....not much smoke, only occasionally does it happen...
V06 only covered half of the 1995 production year, which begins in early '94. If you like, search my posts on HG to find the exact months of production, which I posted here about 10 months ago.
Your white smoke is normal. It's probably condensation. Severity depends on local climate.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:10 AM

Look what I just found

letter 1

letter 2

letter 3
Old 03-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Look what I just found

letter 1

letter 2

letter 3
Some good info, but some of it is dated. The program does not end after mileage or dates stated. This campaign is still wide open in North America.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM

"The warranty coverage for the cylinder head gasket of this vehicle will be for a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of first use. "

Does this mean the time the car was purchased when brand new or from the time the head gasket was replaced due to the recall?

oh nevermind, i just re-read the letters. its a warranty extension from the time of purchase of the vehicle.

Last edited by junbug; 03-23-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by junbug
"The warranty coverage for the cylinder head gasket of this vehicle will be for a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of first use. "

Does this mean the time the car was purchased when brand new or from the time the head gasket was replaced due to the recall?
Well, THATS a tricky one...the campaign is still open, and those limits DO NOT apply. However, the question arises..."What if it was done PRIOR to '96?"
I BELIEVE there are people who have had it done a second time, at no charge. And I KNOW there are others who have had the campaign done, only to find themselves on the hook for a second one, within 30,000 miles. So, it depends on how long and how loud you complain, I suppose.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this really is quite a mystery anymore. I called Toyota customer service not more than two months ago and they told me that this SSC had expired in November of 2004 and that they are through with the repairs.

Guess people have more power of persuasion than I do with customer service at Toyota.

This was Toyota USA as well.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gohawks
Wow this really is quite a mystery anymore. I called Toyota customer service not more than two months ago and they told me that this SSC had expired in November of 2004 and that they are through with the repairs.

Guess people have more power of persuasion than I do with customer service at Toyota.

This was Toyota USA as well.
One of the other campaigns HAS expired. Not sure which, as it didn't relate to the V06/802 Special Service Campaign which I have interest in. I think Jamie might chime in here, as he posted the end date of a campaign about a month ago.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Banned

reviving an old thread rocks!

does anyone know whether or not they will still do this even though i have 200k+ miles?

Also, they "looked" at it once and said it was ok...will they still do it again?

I called a dealer and they had no idea what i was talking about.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The HG replacement campaigns are over as far as I know.
You could try a few dealers, but I think they ended it last October.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
The HG replacement campaigns are over as far as I know.
You could try a few dealers, but I think they ended it last October.
doh!