Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HG progress...Self Induced chaos!!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG progress...Self Induced chaos!!! lol

O.k...I've got a haynes I've had for awhile now and before I started I was taking a look through to see what I was getting into.....I've managed to, up to this point: Remove the exhaust manifold, the main wire harness that goes to the injectors and all the other stuff it goes to, the "plenum" I guess it's called ( the Haynes refers to it as the "air intake")and I've loosened the VC so all I have to do is pull it off...But I can't seem to get the Intake manifold off....It says in the book to take off the nuts and bolts and wiggle it to break the seal....yeah...o.k....wiggle it my a$$...lol...I've got the seal broken but it still won't come off.....I don't get it...There is nothing it's stuck on....It just won't come out....I don't know if I did a bad thing but I ended up removing the metal fuel bar that, I would assume, feeds the injectors and the injectors themselves....well I'm assuming those were the injectors...lol....any guesses? Am I missing something? Is it locked on something internal?....I'm about it rip out the whole motor and pick up that 305 sitting on my garage floor and toss it in the engine bay!!!!!
Old 04-05-2003, 12:29 PM

Did you take out the long allen head bolt by the thermostat housing?
Old 04-05-2003, 01:11 PM

lol....I didn't see an allen head bolt...I'll have to look again....thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 04:22 PM

:pat:There's also a bolt at the front of head that goes into the timing chain cover.It's right in front of the cam gear,usually hidden in a puddle of oil.Also,go ahead and pull the timing chain cover and make sure the chain guides aren't broken.If they are,the chain can wear a hole in it causing coolant to mix with your oil.Now would also be a good time to install some metal backed timing chain guides!DOA has them,there might be some others,but I don't know!Read the Haynes manual good,if I'm not mistaken,you can leave the water pump attached to the timing chain cover.Good luck!!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the tip....It shows that bolt in the Haynes book....also..I've got a ton of gaskets and I figured now would be a good time to replace them....Oil pump mounting gasket, water pump gasket, water pump seal, timing cover gasket and some others.....
Old 04-05-2003, 06:54 PM

:rockband: Depending on the mileage on your motor,you mite wanna go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat while you got it apart.Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:18 AM

Stuck on bolts

O.k...I got the intake off last night....lol...It came out so easy after I took out that allen head bolt that I missed....anyway...I'm in the process of loosening the head bolts.....I've come into a snag of sorts....all the bolts came loose fairly easy...except for the number 8 on the loosening diagram....It's the one right in front of my exhaust manifold....It's like the thing is stuck and I'm using a breaker bar to try and loosen it.....I can get it turn maybe a 1/4" at a time...but the thing is...it snaps when it turns.....and throws the bar right off it.....Am I going to break the bolt this way? Or is this sure sign the head is slightly warped right there? Any ideas? All the others are very easy to turn...Once I broke them free of course....But they didn't "snap" at all like this one....
Old 04-06-2003, 06:16 AM

Does it fell like its hung on a spring?It's possible someones been in the motor before an possibly stripped that bolt.I forget the name of it,but they could've put a spring insert in the stripped bolt hole.See if you can shoot some penetrate around the bolt so it'll seep into the threads.That's about all I can think of.Maybe someone else can help out!Good luck!!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:15 AM

I did just that about an hour ago and worked it free...Now I'm taking a break, eating lunch and then I'm going to go back out and finish taking off the power steering pump assembly....almost there...lol
Old 04-06-2003, 08:59 AM

Glad to hear you got it off!You're gettin deeper than I've ever been in a motor.Good luck the rest of the way!! later
Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 AM

Yes'sa!!!

O.k....I discovered that I didn't have to take the power steering pump assembly all the way off...just take the bolts out that held it to the head.....

I finally just about 10 min ago pulled the head off....OMG.....I can see exactly where the gasket blew....right under the number 8 head bolt on the loosening diagram....the one right in front of where the exhaust manifold goes....but I noticed that in the middle two piston chambers (is that right?) there are two puddles of coolant...not much...but enough to worry me.....how do I get that out? Paper towels or rags or something like that? Just to soak it up.....I'm going to take the time while the head is off to thouroughly clean everything up a bit...just to get alot of the gunk build up off....

Is that coolant in the piston chambers something to worry about? Or is it no big deal and just clean it up?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:06 AM

O.k..I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can....I started cleaning the head of all the gunk and when I turned it on it's side to clean the mating surface and to let the excess oil drain....I noticed something weird.....

The 4 circles where the pistons line up....The first one is black, the second is silver, the third is black and the fourth is silver......I have no idea if that means anything but what I noticed even more is that the second circle in had a bunch of score marks on it...like some sand or dirt got in there and gouged it.....so I looked in the motor bay and noticed that the second piston in also had the same exact marks on top....like some dirt or something gouged it.....Is this a problem? Do I need to replace the piston or anything else?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mudd Runna
The 4 circles where the pistons line up....The first one is black, the second is silver, the third is black and the fourth is silver......I have no idea if that means anything but what I noticed even more is that the second circle in had a bunch of score marks on it...like some sand or dirt got in there and gouged it.....so I looked in the motor bay and noticed that the second piston in also had the same exact marks on top....like some dirt or something gouged it.....Is this a problem? Do I need to replace the piston or anything else?
I'm assuming by cicles you mean the combustion chamber on the head (where the intake and exaust valves are), If #'s 2and 4 are silver ie look like they were steam cleaned that would indicate where your head gasket was leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. The gouges on the top of the piston and in the comb. chamber means something got in there tat didnt belong (metal) and got beat up. W/O seeing it in person its tuff to say if it is ok or not. Pictures would be nice. If it is badly damaged its time to replace the piston(s)/rebuild engine. HTH

Paul
Old 04-06-2003, 05:13 PM

I'll see what I can do about getting some pics for tomorrow....I wish I knew the terminology better so I could better explain myself...Hopefully I can snag some pics....I just hope that I don't have to replace the head...I priced a brand new one at NAPA for $450....that sucks...

Now that I've decided to replace some other gaskets while I'm at it...I can't get the fricken oil pan off....lol...I took out all the bolts and the two retaining nuts and from what I can see the person who last did some work that involved removing the oil pan went alittle heavy on the RTV...lol....I just sat outside for the good part of 40 minutes smacking it with a hammer and a block of wood like it suggests in the Haynes.....no budge....just sludge......lol....

Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2003, 05:23 PM

If you've got a propane torch handy,fire it up ,heat the oil pan around the gasket area.Then smack it a few times with the hammer and wood.If you don't have one,there are some cheap ones available,usually under $20!Good luck!
Old 04-06-2003, 05:25 PM

...lol
Old 04-06-2003, 06:55 PM

Well..It's too late tonight to continue ( not to mention too cold...lol) I'll keep everyone posted tomorrow on my progress and findings....Thanks again guys....
Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 AM

In response to heating it....Wouldn't that ignite any fuel that would be around that leaked out while dismantling everything?Or do I really have to take the oil pan off to service the Timing chain cover gasket and the other gaskets in that area?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:00 PM

Well this morning I said frig it and just put the oil pan bolts back in and left the oil pan gasket for another day...I figured I had enough on my plate already...lol...So I replaced the oil pump mounting seal, the front main oil seal since I knew that's where the original oil leak I was having was coming from....

Finally put in the new HG and got everything almost all back together....Just need to finish the exhaust manifold, the crossover pipe, bolt up the exhaust and figure out where one of the hoses go....I seem to forget where I pulled it from....lol....But, that's...for tomorrow....lol....But atleast I know it's a fuel line of sorts because..well...there's gas in it and when I was moving it around some dribbled out....

So I can't be proud of myself until tomorrow (hopefully...lol) But until it comes time to turn the key and relish in my own pride of doing something like this and having it turn out right...I'll just silently gloat like it's already done and be proud of what I've accomplished so far ( with no help..except from you guys <physical I mean>)....