Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HG blew again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG blew again!!!!

I finished yesterday....Ran it today....It started to run hot....Got home.......Waited a couple of hours...Got back in to go to the store and poof!!!! More white smoke...But this time it wasn't oil that was coming out of the exhaust flange....It was coolant...and it was just spraying everywhere.....Does that mean that my HG blew again? and if so...then chances are my head is warped and I need a new one....If so...Should I go used or new?...Or should I just save my money and buy a new replacement engine?

Thanks guys....again...
Old 04-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Sure sounds like it, did you have the head worked?? Did you at least check it with a straight edge??
Old 04-09-2003, 05:04 PM

May just be leftover coolant sitting in the exhaust system, did you actually lose any coolant? Do a pressure test on the cooling system.

[edit]now that I came back and re-read your post and the word "spraying" actually sunk in, ya that does sound bad... I thought you were just saying it was smoking out the exhaust.

Last edited by Shane; 04-09-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:54 PM

Did you use the aftermarket head gasket instead of OEM Toyota gasket?

My friend had the same problem as yours in about 3 years ago. He did replace the aftermarket gasket on his '87 Toyota PU. A gasket blew again in one week, and then replaces it with the same type of gasket. It blew again in 3 days later.

He decided to buy the OEM gasket from Toyota dealership on his last resort. It went perfect. He told me that he noticed the difference between OEM and aftermarket gasket that OEM gasket came with pre-installed abrasive sealer spread neatly like butter on bread.

I don't know if you are using the Toyota OEM gasket, if so, then the head probably need check for a wrap, or need the rework.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

He did replace the aftermarket gasket on his '87 Toyota PU. A gasket blew again in one week, and then replaces it with the same type of gasket. It blew again in 3 days later.
i have an aftermarket gasket, and it has held for 7 months now. and this motor frequently sees 4-5grand on the tach.

anyway, yes it sure sounds like a blown head gasket, could you have torqued the bolts in the wrong order? or to the wrong spec? either way, you gotta pull the head again.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:04 PM

Pull the cap off the radiator and start it. If coolent blows out the hole the gasket gone.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:59 PM

being in my experience.... of about two weeks with out having my truck this is what happened.....

same problems as you, i was losing coolent fast and didnt know why.

We opened up the engine and water was everywhere, i had not only blown my head gasket, but warped my whole head and put a crack in it.

1000 dollars later and i havent even put it in yet im here.

so you might want to check your head gasket, and take your head to an engine shop and have it looked at, if its warped without cracks they can reshape it, if it has a crack they might be able to drill out the crack and then weld a piece of aluminum in the place then reshape it.

my suggestion is if the head has a crack is to spend the money and replace the head, if you have the money not only replace the head but the engine too. running you about 2700 bucks here in Cali.

PM me if you want.

later

andrew
Old 04-10-2003, 04:35 PM

well thanks for the info guys..again...I think that's what I'm going to do....I'll just rip everything apart...again....and take the head in to a machine shop and see what they have to say....If it's cracked...then I'll have to get a new one...Hopefully they'll just say that it's not too badly warped and they can just machine it down....$60 is alot better than $450 for a new one....lol...

Wish me luck guys!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:01 AM

Used Heads.......

Hey don't forget to check around your town. Sometimes you may find someone around that rebuilds the heads.

There is a guy in Chesapeake, VA who I bought my head off of back in 1997. I paid for some of the valves and components, it cost me 150 bucks. What he does is go and buy used heads from the junk yard and rebuild them. He just so happened to have a 22r head in his stock.

He rebuilt for 150, I was going to have to pay 450 out of florida.

Gasket wise I used FELPRO from advance auto. No Problemo with 6 years and problebly 50 k on it.

I am gonna list a number here for this guy. He actually races big boats with twin 454's out on the Chesapeake Bay. I have heard his prices may have went up.

The Head Doctor, Darrell Spade, 757-484-8012.

Hopefully the dude is still in business.

He did such a good job, I still have his card in my wallet.

MY old head had a crack between #1 and #2 due to the moron that had it before me not keeping the antifreeze at 50/50 and it pitted out.

Mike
Old 04-12-2003, 01:08 PM

keep us posted on it
Old 04-12-2003, 04:33 PM

In my area the closest biggest city is the sister cities of Lewiston/Auburn. Here I can get a new head for my 22RE for about $450 (it being a rebuild/remanufactured one of course) or a used one for about $250-300 ( It's gotta come from out of state and depending upon the yard where the guy gets it from determines price). So I've taken to my local Swap it or Sell it guide, "Uncle Henry's". I've also decided I'm going to look for a 22R and do that swap. The way I figure it is, it should be easier to work on, I can get a webber carb to put some performance to'er and it shouldn't be that difficult of a swap in/out.

I'll keep you all posted....Let me know what you think
Old 04-12-2003, 04:35 PM

atarinaper

BTW...thanks for all the info atari....
Old 04-12-2003, 06:26 PM

good cylinder head

mudd runna i got a good used cylinder haed on ebay rite now it ends next sunday the 20th. it was from a 85 22re with a bad rod knock it did not overheat and no coolant in the oil. only one person bid on it yet for the $20 i started it at. to do the 22r swap you were talking about you'll have to change the wiring harness. that will be alot more work then fixing your engine. i think once you geta good cylinder head your problems will be over.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:54 PM

Re: atarinaper

Originally posted by Mudd Runna
BTW...thanks for all the info atari....
no prob man