Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Herculined my grille and front bumper (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Herculined my grille and front bumper (pics)

I jumped on the bandwagon since there is still room.

My stock front bumper and grille were already painted black, but for some reason the texture came out funny (despite my thorough prep job). After seeing Northfacer do his rig, I was sold on the idea. Especially at this price. Besides, my battle was already halfway won because I had previously sanded and primed everything. I simply needed to scuff the black paint and reactivate the primer with solvent. No problem.

1. $29 32 oz can at Checker Auto.
2. Small roller and (2) extra foam rollers $8 (Lowe's)

That's it. I also recommend an organic vapor respirator and gloves. This stuff is nasty! And it has the potential of getting all over. I did a light first coat, then followed up 1 hour later with the second coat.

Here are the results:

I am very happy with the end result. My plan is to hit my fender flares and rear bumper next.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Dude... you rock.

Me likey.... One more idea in the "planned mods for my truck when I actually have enough time to do them" folder...
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

In all honesty, I felt kind of weird rolling on "paint" in my driveway. Although some kids rode by and said, "Coool!" Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, the wifey came home and said, "That looks great!" - without any prompting.

Do it CJ!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
In all honesty, I felt kind of weird rolling on "paint" in my driveway. Although some kids rode by and said, "Coool!" Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, the wifey came home and said, "That looks great!" - without any prompting.

Do it CJ!

I really do like the look. I've been planning on painting my chrome grill black, and the front bumper would look much better black hurculined... but then, you know I would have to do the rear bumper, and I would probably have to do the rockers, and then the wheels would just look weird if THEY weren't black, and then I would have to............. auuuugh! I need to take a few days off and just DO IT!!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the good news is that a 32 oz can seems to go REALLY far. I could easily bust out my flares and rear bumper. Me be cheap.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the good news is that a 32 oz can seems to go REALLY far. I could easily bust out my flares and rear bumper. Me be cheap.

That's good to know... I like to make the most of what I've got, so if there was enough to do the bumpers and rockers, I'd be stoked. If I had too much left over, I'd be tempted to Herculine my wife's Honda or the dog, or something....
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

the dog!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it sharp to the touch Christian? Like, if you slipped and dragged a leg against it, I take it that'd be a bad thing?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Looks cool. Have you considered doing the lower valence and sliders as well? Does it make a difference that that the lower valence is plastic and not chrome?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Is it sharp to the touch Christian? Like, if you slipped and dragged a leg against it, I take it that'd be a bad thing?
Hmmm, well, put it this way: If you rapidly brushed your hand or arm or leg on it, or rubbed against it with your leg while running by or something, you would probably have a nice red mark on that respective body part. You would be hard pressed to draw blood though.

I would not coat my sliders though. If I did, clothing would get frayed over time.

A lot of it has to do with how you put it on. I noticed that it clumped with more texture in places due to my method of application. If I went back and forth too much or tried to "fix" a spot by rolling over it a couple times "dry," it resulted in that clumpy look I just mentioned.

I recommend practicing on something such as a skid plate first. By the way, I hit the front part of my skid too.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Have you considered doing the lower valence and sliders as well? Does it make a difference that that the lower valence is plastic and not chrome?
I have considered it, yes. But I decided against the sliders (see my response to Mark). Yes, it makes a difference the valance is made of plastic (it flexes when hit or bumped). I decided against it from past experience.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend practicing on something such as a skid plate first. By the way, I hit the front part of my skid too.
Hmmm... Why do I get this vision of a "Mad Max" movie running through my head?

Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Hmmm... Why do I get this vision of a "Mad Max" movie running through my head?

That movie rocked! That's why.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

nice job dude. you know, matching rocker panels and rear bumper would look killer. i felt the same way when applying mine, just rolling paint on my 4runner. but as you and your wife are pleased, so am i and anyone who has seen it. i have a feeling this bandwagon might get full soon.

however dirt does get on it and is kind of a pain to clean off, so i would recomend throwing some clear coat on it.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by northfacer581
however dirt does get on it and is kind of a pain to clean off, so i would recomend throwing some clear coat on it.
At Rhino we always recommended a scrub brush with car wash soap. I am hoping the same applies here. I think I am going to do my rear bumper today too.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

I'm getting ready to paint my entire truck with this, just so you guys know you can buy a $30 undercoating gun and spary the herculiner on....it looks very good like that, and you'll be very surprised how far a can of this stuff will go. All and 96 your runner looks awesome.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

this is making me want to do the interior of the 88 more and more...plus, it is cheap
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

At Rhino we always recommended a scrub brush with car wash soap. I am hoping the same applies here. I think I am going to do my rear bumper today too.

I read a few articles about it fading over time, most said to scrub with spic and span, this helps bring the black back out.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I've also checked this out, i've heard some good things about this product, plus it can be color coded to match your paint, or what ever color you want. http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=153 ....all the sherman williams store carry this. For some reason i'm feelin like a post whore right now

EDIT: Fyi its almost the same price as herc, but it HAS to be sparyed

Last edited by dwh91102; 04-15-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I have an air compressor that could handle spraying...maybe I should take a trip down to Lowe's this morning.

Thanks for the props!

Quick Reply: Herculined my grille and front bumper (pics)