Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help, what to do !!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, what to do !!??

Ok, so this was a busted day... First of all, I found that there was a crack on the bottom of my gas tank (no wonder my mpg has been sucking), next I was going to change my oil when the ˟˟˟˟˟ hit the fan. My Dad was helping me since I'm home for the break and he didn't have anything to do, so he got underneath while I was getting some things together and he opened up what he thought was the drain plug. Unfortunately, wrong... He pulled the plug that was about 4 inches back from the auto tranny fluid plug . I'm guessing it's some kind of gear oil, but I'm not positive what kind or how to fill it. It says DII on the plug, which makes me think it's the same as the transmission fluid, but I wanted to hear from you guys first before I tried something. It's a '95 4Runner 4wd auto V6. Thanks for the help guys.

also, is there an easy way to fix the crack in my gas tank aside from taking it off and having it welded?

Last edited by kpooch75; 12-27-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:06 AM

c'mon guys!

anybody! please??

Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails Help, what to do !!??-trans1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My guess is that that drain plug is to the transfer case. Check it to see if there is any fluid in it. Your owner's manual or repair manual should have some information. It would be best to put in a new gas tank or weld it. You might be able to use some JB Weld or something similar. Make sure that it can withstand gas before you buy it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:39 AM

If the pan/plug is behind the transmission it is your transfer case. You need to fill it with Dexron 3 transmission fluid. It's a bit tricky because the fill hole is on the side. You might want to buy a cheap hand pump to pump the ATF from the container into the transfer case. Just fill the transfer case until fluid starts to run out of the fill hole on the side. I don't remember how much fluid is needed, but it will say in your glove box manual.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

get a Chilton's manual. It will give you all the torque specs, oil capacities, everything
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 AM

Unhappy

When you have a crack in the gas tank, please, please, please, don't weld it. In my Suzuki days a couple of guys thought they had all the gas fumes out. They washed it with the gas neutralizer, they let it sit forever, they took all the precautions, it blew up. After many, many stiches and plastic surgery they're looking *ok* but they're not the dashing men they thought they once were. Not with scars on their faces and hands. With a rig as old as ours (mine is a '93 4runner), just find a junked, but good condition, gas tank and slap it on.

Last edited by bdeakin; 12-28-2004 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

you will also want to make absolutely sure of the fluid going into the tcase, my 93 v6 auto uses atf. i had the dealer guys running all over the place checking manuals and verifying with the master techs exactly what went in mine. if no one can tell you absolutely, book it in to the dealer to do it, that way if it gets screwed up, they are on the hook, not you!

lee
Old 12-28-2004, 03:01 PM

i would not put atf in my t/case.use 80w90 or syn 50w.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3yotys
i would not put atf in my t/case.use 80w90 or syn 50w.
If you check the owners manual, I think you'll find that auto tranny transfer cases use ATF fluid NOT gear oil. Then again, what do I know, I've always owned manual trannies.

I know, I know...Some of us are lucky enough to find manual trannies. the rest of you have to make do with "Soccer Momobiles".

Last edited by gwhayduke; 12-28-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bdeakin
When you have a crack in the gas tank, please, please, please, don't weld it. In my Suzuki days a couple of guys thought they had all the gas fumes out. They washed it with the gas neutralizer, they let it sit forever, they took all the precautions, it blew up. After many, many stiches and plastic surgery they're looking *ok* but they're not the dashing men they thought they once were. Not with scars on their faces and hands. With a rig as old as ours (mine is a '93 4runner), just find a junked, but good condition, gas tank and slap it on.
I'm sorry.....

I'm sorry for laughin at their mis-fortune..... however, it begs the question....

What were you thinking??????

JB weld OWNZ!!! and NO welding necessary!!!!

I am glad to hear your friends are still around to tell others about it. I'm sure it could have been worse.