Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help! truck won't start and other questions

Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! truck won't start and other questions

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a used 1991 Toyota Pickup. I really don't know too much about cars at all and there are a couple of things I'm trying to do.

Firstly, my truck won't start. I think this is because of a loss of electricity to the gauges, ignition, headlights etc. When I try to power on the vehicle absolutely nothing happens except that the light for the cigarrete lighter ports lights up. I'm not sure why this happened. I am working on an integrated install for my iPod and did remove the panel below the steering wheel and around the gauges (the one below the steering wheel is hanging there, connected, while the gauge one is completely disconnected). Last time I tried, I know I pressed the emergenecy light button (turns on both signal lights) and it worked, now it too, does not work. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do?

I'm also going to be replacing the timing belt (as soon as I can start it and move it into the garage). I've bought a haynes book and printed out both:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

The second one listed there has a list of items that are need:
Timing Chain
Chain Guides (metal backed are better than the stock plastic ones)
Chain Tensioner
T-Chain Cover Gasket
Water Pump Gasket
Oil Pump O-ring
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket or Toyota Black Form In Place Gasket (FIPG)
Ultra Grey Silicone
Can of Carb Cleaner
5 quarts of oil
Gallon of Anti-freeze (Toyota Red recommended plus a gallon of distilled water)

I bought a timing chain kit from engnbldr.com so I think I have the top three. Are the other ones like the oil pump o-ring and the water pump gasket all standard parts or do I need specific ones for the 22re engine?

Lastly, there is a bit of rust starting to form around the wheel wells and at a couple of dents on the truck that I would like to take care of. I did do some reading on touch up autobody work and bought some stuff, but could not find the right color to match my truck at my local canadian tire. Any idea where I could find the right color?

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 09-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help more but WELCOME to the forum. Sounds like a bad ground to me. I leave the timing chain to the dealer and as for the color code, it should be on a sticker on the driver's door jam (i.e. 1CA, etc.)

Good Luck!