Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help: Truck won't start---not battery/alternator---Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help: Truck won't start---not battery/alternator---Electric?

Hey there---could use some help.

all of a sudden this week my 96 tacoma quit starting. I jumped it a few times figuring that it was the battery. The truck will start once I've had it hooked up on jumper cables for a few minutes .

Today I went back to look closer and ran into stuff that makes me think that the problem is more complicated than I thought...

When the key is in the "accessories" position, all the dash lights are bright and the horn is loud---so I'm pretty sure that the problem is not a battery issue.

When the key is in the "on" position" the dash lights dim and the horn quits working.

When I turn the key to start it, I hear some circuit click and there's a noise coming from the dash (sort of a medium pitch grinding noise, like a struggling, but small electric motor), but the starter doesn't engage at all (even at the level of a low-energy groan). The noise comes from the area behind the clutch-start-cancel button, so of course, I pressed it---which only makes the noise a little louder.

My next step is to check all the fuses connected to the ignition/starter/etc... Am i on the right track?

Help please! Questions/requests for clarification welcome.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds kinda like a short.

when you turn the key to start does the solenoid click in to place?

you need to find out what that noise in the dash is coming from.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah, the solenoid clicks, which initiates that wierd noise which I'd like to figure out.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM

circuit opening relay I believe that this is around that location and this may also be the problem!

on my 99 it is right next to the fuse panel and green.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Would it make sense for a short circuit to be jump-able? Maybe it would... I'm still a little baffled by the fact that it will start once I've got it hooked up to someone else's battery.

I'll check on the circuit opening relay---though from what I see in a google search, that might be over my head if that's the problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Sounds like you have a broken post in your battery. I have seen this many times working in car audio. It just happens. Voltage looks good until a load is applied. Then there seems to be nothing. Try another battery first, but I feel that you will find this is the case.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:48 PM

not so bad actually pull off the bottom part of the dash and get the clip that holds it in to release"this is the hardest part" and test for working condition.

ok I said earlier it sounded like a short but this is a multi vehicle observation where as the relay is some thing that if the battery was a little weak "did you check voltage?" and the contacts were pitted could be the culprit and fits in to the location of where you are saying this sound is coming from.
there are no motors in this area and this is the only relay I know of that is involved in the starting in that location.
Are you sure the solenoid is what is clicking and not the starter relay?? if so then you most likely need new starter contacts or battery due to the jump startability
Old 05-18-2009, 04:49 PM

I hope you are right... On the principle of starting simple, I'll take the battery in for a load test and hope that's the problem. The battery is about due anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Look at the simple stuff first. You said you had good dash lights and horn until turning the key to run. Then on run, everything weakens. This is enough problem in itself. The other issues are probably due to the lack of amperage from the battery. Check it out. Battery tests are free in most cases and can save you a lot of headache.