Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help with stereo install...my new 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help with stereo install...my new 4runner

first off im new to yota tech...second of all i just got my dads 1997 SR5 in great condition. as soon as i got it i put in 2 12 inch subs, new head unit, and door speakers. it sounds great but seeing as how i did it myself, i must have wired something wrong because every time i turn on my light a horrible buzzing comes through the system. the noise goes away and then everything kicks on. now my door speakers only work with my lights on while the sub works all the time regardless. to top things off i cannot dim my dome lights because it makes a sound that makes you want to rip off your ears. so i have to keep my dome lights always turned up the highest and drive with at least my parking lights on at all times for my stereo system to work to full potential. i feel like a total idiot but its actually kinda funny now that i look back on it. im sure it can be fixed with one wire switch but if anyone has any idea as to what in the world is going on please let me know.

o and im thinking about taking the running boards off...thoughts, feelings, emotions?

Johnny B
Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Run your power lines directly to the battery but remember to add IN LINE Fuse's that should give you power even with no power on in the ignition and should get rid of your buzz.

Definitely pull the running boards
Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM

First off I hope you spent the money to buy a wiring harness, you can get them at Wal-Mart for maybe $10. Second, run amps directly from the battery and ALWAYS use an inline fuse. Buy the Scosche kit from Wal-Mart too. If you just replaced door speakers with newer ones be sure you used the factory wires and didn't cross anything. I've installed my own systems since, well after I paid for the first one and got hosed. It's very easy, just go slow and easy, don't spare on the electrical tape, use wire connectors to match the gauge of wire and/or solder them and shrink wrap.

Sounds like you tapped power from somewhere and have a bad ground so if I were you I'd just start over and go from there. Good luck with the fix.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by terminator
First off I hope you spent the money to buy a wiring harness, you can get them at Wal-Mart for maybe $10. Second, run amps directly from the battery and ALWAYS use an inline fuse. Buy the Scosche kit from Wal-Mart too. If you just replaced door speakers with newer ones be sure you used the factory wires and didn't cross anything. I've installed my own systems since, well after I paid for the first one and got hosed. It's very easy, just go slow and easy, don't spare on the electrical tape, use wire connectors to match the gauge of wire and/or solder them and shrink wrap.

Sounds like you tapped power from somewhere and have a bad ground so if I were you I'd just start over and go from there. Good luck with the fix.

Exactly what I did. He has a kit, I just havent gotten a chance to get over there to look at. Rip it out and start over... and do it this time with someone who knows what they are doing
Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM

looks like u wiried the red or yellow power wires to the dome lighting wires instead of ignition/ constant power. when ever u decrease power to the stereo, the built in amp starts buzzing( happens when the alternator goes bad)

did u buy a wiring kit like the guy above said?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also try and make your amp ground short as possible.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Well welcome to the family anyway... I have'nt got any ideas that have'nt already been mentioned.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

X3 on running directly to the battery....most noise issues are ground related so make sure you have everything grounded....and I mean WELL GROUNDED!

Don't know how much experience you have here, so here are a few more tips: Make sure you make good connections and they are totally covered...shrink tubing is the best! Also be sure all of your wires are SAFELY run so they do not short out. Use grommets through the fire wall, and be sure wires are protected so they do not get cut by something sharp or crushed under foot. Never leave wires loose...use lots of wire ties. Be sure you use the correct gauge or bigger wire. Do not be in a hurry...do it right!

Oh yeah, and WELCOME TO YOTATECH!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM

thanks to everyone and yes i did spend the money to buy a 1400 watt wiring kit...i have a great ground that is as short as possible...i have an in-line fuse that runs directly from the battery to the amp...no loose wires...everything is in place and how it should be. when i did it a friend of mine helped me that had been doing this for years. he is stumped too. the only thing that we could think of is that the wiring diagram we had was bad. it has to be coming from a switched wire but im not sure as to which one because i just followed all the colors to be honest. if anyone has a legit wiring diagram that would help because i cannot seem to find one...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

You have something wired incorrectly. You might do well by finding a local stereo shop to check your head unit wiring.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/2026.html

Paul
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM

You need to check your grounds. When you installed your amp ground did you clean all the paint off the the ground attachment point. It's critical for a good ground. Also check your body grounds and the ground to the radio.
It sounds like there is a poor ground somewhere in your audio wiring. This will cause feedback through your RCA wires between the head unit and amp which will cause the sound your discribing. Your going to have to do some legwork on this one. Your gonna get a lot of good ideas and possibilities but in the end your going to have to backtrack and find the problem you created during the install.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 AM

ok heres an update...
the wiring guides that i have been using including the one posted here have been wrong.

apparently the right front positive and the illumination wire have gotten confused...green for right front positive and light green for illumination.

so after that wire switch the noise is gone thank god. i also went and found better grounds, this improved the sound quality dramatically.

i still have the whole my door speakers dont work with my lights off business buttt i have good ole pittpatt for that.

any other suggestions for improvement?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by utkid1088
ok heres an update...
the wiring guides that i have been using including the one posted here have been wrong.

apparently the right front positive and the illumination wire have gotten confused...green for right front positive and light green for illumination.

so after that wire switch the noise is gone thank god. i also went and found better grounds, this improved the sound quality dramatically.

i still have the whole my door speakers dont work with my lights off business buttt i have good ole pittpatt for that.

any other suggestions for improvement?
How are you speakers connected? Are you connecting them directly to an amp or the head unit? And than, how are you connecting an amp?