Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP Rear Diff ARB problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP Rear Diff ARB problems

So, after pulling both axle shafts for a death wobble, i pulled the third member only to find this:

The first problem i noticed was the chewed through copper tube, explains why my ARB was not working. Then as the pictures show, the ARB housing has been rubbing on the pinion and created grooves and rounded the edges of the pinion.

When the ass clowns who installed it, they said that my diff housing was from a 4 cyl instead of the V6. Could that be part of the problem? The ARB BARELY fits in the axle tube. It took some force to get it out of the axle tube housing. Or is it that things were not properly installed and the pinion is touching the ARB.

Now the question is, do i replace the copper tube and re-install it, or do I replace the whole damn thing? I believe the pinion and ARB housing are at their perfect mating and will not wear any more.

Any and all help, comments, ideas, criticisms, is all appreciated.

Thanks
-Wyo
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM

i'm still the new guy but I know the 4cyl pinion has a step/shoulder on it where the pinion bearing sits just under the back of the gear and the v6 pinion doesn't have the step/shoulder. may possibly be the other way around but I know 1 has it and the other doesn't.
hows the tooth contact pattern look ?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM

the ring and pinion tooth pattern is solid. atleast by looking at it. i didnt actually see the original pattern. there dotesnt seem to be any unusual wear.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Why did the copper tube break in the first place?

You need to check your gear contact by painting the teeth and rotating the assembly to see how well the ring gear is contacting the pinion gear.

Seems like a no brainer, take it back to the shop who did it. Fix it no matter what.

This kinda stuff is why no one else works on my vechicles....Ever
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM

I have never done gears before. So i decided to hire it done. i think i could have done just as good of job. The copper tube didnt break, it rubbed through on the ARB itself and the ring gear. I dont trust the shop that did it to take it back. Im going to either re-do it myself(most likely) or have east coast gear supply out of NC do it.

If I was versed in gearing I would have done it myself. When I put in a solid front axle and re-gear to 5.29s I will be doing everything my self, so I have no one to blame but myself.

I will paint the gears tomorrow to see what it looks like and post a picture.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so the arb is for a v6 is what im understanding? if so then they should of never put it in a 4 cly housing, that could be why its rubbing,and has put those marks in it, the pinion gear is not set right for it to be putting the marks in the diff. as for doing gears if u search around here and youtube u can find out how to set up gears and doing it right.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
so the arb is for a v6 is what im understanding? if so then they should of never put it in a 4 cly housing, that could be why its rubbing,and has put those marks in it, the pinion gear is not set right for it to be putting the marks in the diff. as for doing gears if u search around here and youtube u can find out how to set up gears and doing it right.
On doing gears, I've got stores of information. As i spent about 4 months planning this and then decided its too crucial to screw up. But I had bought all the parts to do it. Being a V6 in my truck i figured id have a V6 diff housing, so thats what i ordered. Then when the shop went to install it, they kept the truck a week extra trying to figure out what the cuss was wrong with the diff, as they couldnt get things to fit. Then the some how or another found out it was a 4 cyl diff housing or atleast thats what they claim. And then charged me for it. Now about two years later, I have the axle apart and trying to figure out what to do. I spoke with an axle and diff shop about it and may end up sending it down there.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Had 2 ARB diffs running going on 7 years now not one issue.

Find someone who isn't incompetent to set it up right and be done with it. ARBs take expertise not just your average Joe blow differential tech.

ARBs are a tight fit but not that tight. Those grooves on the carrier ain't supposed to be there period.

:wabbit2:
Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 AM

Wabbit, the tech I just spoke to said the pinion might be moving in and out which has caused it. He has seen it before. Thankfully the ARB is not the problem, its the blasted ring and pinion.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Sent it to East Coast Gear and just get it set up right.

Here is alink to a similar situation.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/scottgarb.htm
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by badattitude
Sent it to East Coast Gear and just get it set up right.

Funny you mention them! He is the guy I spoke with this morning about it, and thats actually what im going to do! Wife said, "if you want it done right, just get it done right"

No my only dilemma is how do i get to fedex or ups. My bicycle can only carry so much. And a 72lb box i think is a bit much!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 AM

East coast gear is awesome. Go with them.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Anybody want to take me to the fedex store?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry live too far away, but a cab would, for a little bit of money....
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justin_4runner
No. ARB makes ONE diff for 8" toyotas. There is nothing different between the V6 and 4 cyl. The gears are what is the issue.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Had 2 ARB diffs running going on 7 years now not one issue.

Find someone who isn't incompetent to set it up right and be done with it. ARBs take expertise not just your average Joe blow differential tech.

ARBs are a tight fit but not that tight. Those grooves on the carrier ain't supposed to be there period.

:wabbit2:
x 10^6. ARB's are hands down the best differential out there. But, they are a PAIN to get perfect, and must be done by someone who has a brain, not just some dip stick tech. I've done two, and it took a LONG time. Given that you have the incorrect gears, that is your issue. You have a V6 housing unless someone swapped a diff before.

Originally Posted by wyorunner
Wabbit, the tech I just spoke to said the pinion might be moving in and out which has caused it. He has seen it before. Thankfully the ARB is not the problem, its the blasted ring and pinion.
I doubt that. You would be able to easily see if that is the case. If the pinion can move in and out, the crush sleeve is bad, and you would be able to move the pinion in and out by hand. It's pretty obvious when those go. To avoid that happening, though, get a solid spacer for the diff when you have it rebuilt.

ARB's sit VERY close to the pinion head in a toyota 8" diff. Because you have the wrong gears, you are seeing the issue of ring gear deflection. I've had the same issues, because the first shop I had do my gears put in v6 gears in a 4 cyl housing. Ran a nice pattern into the ARB housing.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
No. ARB makes ONE diff for 8" toyotas. There is nothing different between the V6 and 4 cyl. The gears are what is the issue.

x 10^6. ARB's are hands down the best differential out there. But, they are a PAIN to get perfect, and must be done by someone who has a brain, not just some dip stick tech. I've done two, and it took a LONG time. Given that you have the incorrect gears, that is your issue. You have a V6 housing unless someone swapped a diff before.

I doubt that. You would be able to easily see if that is the case. If the pinion can move in and out, the crush sleeve is bad, and you would be able to move the pinion in and out by hand. It's pretty obvious when those go. To avoid that happening, though, get a solid spacer for the diff when you have it rebuilt.

ARB's sit VERY close to the pinion head in a toyota 8" diff. Because you have the wrong gears, you are seeing the issue of ring gear deflection. I've had the same issues, because the first shop I had do my gears put in v6 gears in a 4 cyl housing. Ran a nice pattern into the ARB housing.

Good luck with the repair.
Thats interesting, the Gears are marked TYV6488 Which i believe is Yukons way of marking a toyota ring gear for a v6 with a 4.88 ratio. Its getting rebuilt by an actual professional, not the ass clowns that did it originally. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unless your rear end has been touched its a v6 third, all 3rd gens came with v6 third no matter what engine.......my 4banger had a v6 third....etc etc....it was because of the weight of the runner.