Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with rear axle seals and diff breather...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with rear axle seals and diff breather...

About 5 months ago I had my rear axle seals replaced. While I was under there about 2 weeks ago I noticed they were leaking again. I took it back to the mechanic and he did it all over again free of charge. Well after just a day or two they are leaking again! After a little research I saw that if the diff. breather is clogged then it can cause the seals to leak. After checking mine I'm sure that that is the problem, cuz mine is caked.

So here is my question: If I replace the breather (do the diff breather mod) will everything reseat properly and stop leaking? If not, I figure I will do the diff breather mod, and then do the seals myself (the mechanic is about 100 miles away), but can I use the new seals he put in, or are they toast now? Is there a tell-tale sign that they are bad?

Anyone know the cost of Toyota seals or have had good experience with say, NAPA seals? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 PM

I would only use the Toyota OEM seal, that is if you have ABS. No ABS, then check out the ones offered by Marlin Crawler.

Toyota part #, for my 99 and I think works for your 98, is 90310-50006. Retails for $6.70. For the price, get new seals. A new diff breather is $8.55, part # 90930-03031, if you don't want to do the mod.

This is a job one can do with relative ease, except getting the bearings and such pressed off and on. Find a good indy shop to perform such. If you can do the Porsche projector mod, this will be no harder....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Yeah, might as well go OEM. I don't think 3rd gen 4Runners have rear ABS? Anyway, you said something about getting the bearings pressed back on... I do remember my mechanic saying something about this, but I was going to follow the instructions at this LINK and I don't see any mention of it. Is it absolutely necessary?

*Also found this other write-up, no mention about the bearings either: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76339/

Last edited by pdyebrasil; 09-27-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM

You MAY need to replace the bearings because the fact that the diff oil leaked out means that is leaked out THROUGH the bearings, meaning it cleansed the bearing grease out of the bearings. If your bearings are not making noise now, they probably will.
Replacing the diff breather and axle seals are cheap DIY jobs. Replacing the bearings are not so much.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the wheel bearings are lubed by the gear oil not pre packed with grease. the seal is the outer most part i believe
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the wheel bearings are lubed by the gear oil not pre packed with grease. the seal is the outer most part i believe
No, there is an inner seal and an outer seal. The inner seal keeps the diff juice in the axle, and the outer seal just keeps outside crap off the bearing.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...a/ras/comp.pdf
If it were mine, I would replace the diff breather (or do the relocation mod), pull the axles myself and replace the inner seals. Put it all back together and wait for one of the bearings to fail. Could be a week, could be never.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by SkidPalace
No, there is an inner seal and an outer seal. The inner seal keeps the diff juice in the axle, and the outer seal just keeps outside crap off the bearing.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...a/ras/comp.pdf
If it were mine, I would replace the diff breather (or do the relocation mod), pull the axles myself and replace the inner seals. Put it all back together and wait for one of the bearings to fail. Could be a week, could be never.
I second that. The extended breather mod is so stupidly easy. It is so worth not having to worry about it getting caked again.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Here you go for a link to the best write up concerning the axle seals:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...d-3rd-gen.html

Yes, some, but not all 3rd gen. 4runners have ABS.

When you pull the axles out, see if you have the slighest play with the axle, and if so, get the bearings and stuff changed out unless $$$ is an issue. You may even see grease leaking out of the bearing. Change it all; that way it is only a one time job.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Hey thanks for all the input guys... I picked up a new diff breather today from Toyota and put it in. The old one was totally useless.

Part of me wants to just redo the seals myself and just see if the bearings last... BUT I did pay $800 back in April for new bearings, seals, brakes, etc... and so I feel like the mechanic should have known to check the breather, especially considering he had to fix it all again last week. So I'm thinking I'll take it back YET AGAIN and make sure it's fixed properly.

Oh and that sparks another question: According to the link J2F42C posted, it says that my brake shoes will be compromised by having the gear oil on them... yet my mechanic told me that last week they didn't put new shoes on, they just cleaned everything up and reused them. Do I need to demand that they use all new parts?

The thing that sucks most about this situation is that this mechanic has been our family mechanic for years... and I like the guy, but I guess if anything this means that he should take care of the problem even more so. Anyway, thanks again guys.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM

So you had the bearings, outer seal, and the rest replaced already?

If I were in your seat, and were in a good relationship with your mechanic, I'd get new OEM inner seals and have him put them in. Then you can see if it is another brand of seal that is causing the problem, and if it is, then you are good to go. If they leak again, pursue other roots of the cause.

Unless it was a small leak, and the fluid did not soak into the shoe compound, you can't reuse them and achieve good braking. New OEM shoes, no other will suffice, for $65~$75 ..
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 PM

How about keep quiet install the breather and bring the truck back with leaking seals to have them install them again?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 AM

Well, the more time you spend on these forums, the more you will understand that you can and should educate yourself here before you go to your mechanic.
Taking it to the Stealership will usually get the job done right, but you will pay through the nose. Taking it to a local mechanic is a crapshoot.
I am sure that the collective knowledge of this forum and T4R.org is greater than any one mechanic.
As far as your rear brakes, you could definitely ask him to replace the brakes since his failure to diagnose the breather ruined the new brakes he just put on.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 AM

FWIT, my seals leaked due to a clogged breather. I replaced the breather only and the seals stopped leaking. As a general rule I like to replace all affected parts but in this particular case I was able to forgo the seals with no additional leakage. I have about 31,000 miles since replacing the diff breather but not the seals. So, I still have the oringinal real axel seals. As yours are new you may be able to skip a thrid set of seals. There is no time/work savings by doing the jobs together and you'll notice if they start to leak again.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Well we took it down last night and I talked to the mechanic this morning. He agreed on the rear brakes and is going to replace them. As this is the 3rd time we've taken it in for this, I really hope it's all taken care of. They have been using Toyota seals each time, so the only thing I can think caused all this was the clogged breather. Just wanna be done with it all!

Thanks for all your input guys. I can always count on Yotatech to solve all my problems
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by badattitude
FWIT, my seals leaked due to a clogged breather. I replaced the breather only and the seals stopped leaking. As a general rule I like to replace all affected parts but in this particular case I was able to forgo the seals with no additional leakage. I have about 31,000 miles since replacing the diff breather but not the seals. So, I still have the oringinal real axel seals. As yours are new you may be able to skip a thrid set of seals. There is no time/work savings by doing the jobs together and you'll notice if they start to leak again.
I had a clogged breather, and my seals didn't leak... But to be fair, my axle housing rusted through in 2 places (and counting), so you know, that kind of equalized pressure by letting all the gear oil leak out.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Great thread with good information

I myself am going through this, but on an 87:

I know, I know; it's not in the right section, but considering these trucks are very identical i thought i'd post here instead of starting a new thread.

Heres the problem: This seal has been leaking for the last month or so and i have been driving it as is. At first i thought it was brake fluid but that checked out okay. When i pulled the drum i found a mixture of grease and oil which i cleaned only for it to accumulate again a week later. Now, i know it is the wheel seal because of this thread and the fact that the diff fluid was low.
So yesterday I popped the breather and cleaned it hoping the seal will do its job again but no luck.

So now, im debating whether i should just replace the seal or both, seal and bearing, considering it has 298,xxx miles. I checked out the bearing by jacking the tire off the ground and pushing on the top and bottom. Very little to no play. ( I just feel a very tiny click back and forth, you have to be paying attention to really feel it.)

Any help is appreciated!! Oh, and I know Marlin has a special right NOW, so help me decide if i should jump at it!! Thanks!!

Last edited by streetlancer; 09-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 AM

I had my left seal replaced about a year ago and the sucker has started leaking again. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get a better look.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Just an update... I took it back to the mechanic and they ended up doing everything over again. The only difference this time? There is a new diff breather! The old plugged breather was what was causing it to leak the whole time. So finally I don't have to worry about these seals anymore and I can get to more important things...