Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP PLEASE! P1300 code and dead truck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE! P1300 code and dead truck!

Truck was running normally and one day suddenly would not stay running.

It will start up (it cranks, ignition starts the engine and it runs up to RPM and then instantly trails off again rapidly until it is dead.)

The wife had it throw this code a few days ago with no other symptoms. I read the code and reset it to see what happened next. It did not die completely until today (2 days after the first code appeared, with no other problems or codes in between.)

I never know if other problems might be related, so I will post details on two other events that may or may not have anything to do with this.

#1 - Have had issues in cold weather when i first start the truck and back out of the driveway, I have no power assist on the brakes until I stomp them once, then everything comes back to normal. Moisture somewhere, perhaps?

#2 - I had a remote starter (Autostart 2462) installed 8 days ago. It seems to be functioning normally.

I need help ASAP. Searched but found little information on this code on YT. Will continue to work at it, and will check out the FSM to see if it can help me out. I can't even run the truck long enough to move it ahead or back up to unblock the driveway to use the car!!!!

Thanks in advance! Any help at all is appreciated.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Forgot to add this is on a 1996 4Runner Limited with 3.4L engine.

UPDATE:

Truck was able to start again long enough to pull up into driveway so I can get to my car again. It intermittently stumbles and dies.

When I went out to read code (it was P1300 again; scanned by Innova 0303 OBD II reader.) I think it was the only code. Reset.

I'm starting to think this is the fault of the remote start installer.....

Which cylinder is #1? Is it the one on the front of the engine, passenger side? Tach wire for the starter looks to be tapped from this ignition coil.

Can't find it easily in FSM (you'd think it would be easy information to located but it aint the most user friendly...)

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 01-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 PM

P1300 is igniter circuit fault#1... I not familiar with the 96 3.4 but I would check the wiring running to the coil packs for worn insulation "creating a short to ground" and the wiring to the igniter box mounted on the wheel well somewhere.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting to look like the aftermarket remote start is messing something up..I would disconnect it and see if it fires up.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM

It IS firing up, but then it will intermittently have a stumble or two, or sometimes it just goes dead and won't start. Other times it fires right up again like nothing is the matter.

No rhyme or reason to it. I suspect something is intermittently losing contact and throwing a code. From the FSM, I have learned that P1300 causes the ECU to enter fail safe mode and cut fuel delivery.

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 01-15-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Can the tach go dead from this issue as well?

I can't seem to find any diagnostics in the FSM for the tach other than electrically measuring things when the cluster is removed.

I feel I am about >90% certain that this is all related to one crappy wiring connection on my #1/#4 ignition coil. Do the rest of you YT folks share this view?

I like to be fairly sure I am right before I go accusing others of screwing up; I hate feeling dumb if I am incorrect!

What would fair compensation for this be? I'm thinking that they ought to fix the problem on their time / dime, and give me back at least part of the $220 Cdn it cost me to have the remote starter installed.

The icing on the cake with this is that the remote starter unit features a "virtual tach" in which a tach reference wire to ignition system is supposed to be un-necessary. Not sure how well that feature works, but I think they screwed up my truck for no good reason....

Please let me know what you think.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

The aftermarket remote starter could be pulling the signal from the coils/igniter and if the ECM does does not see this signal...even for a split second...It goes into fail safe,also can loose tach as well since this signal is shared between the ECM and the tach.........

You need to get those wires off the primary ignition system...ie.coils/igniter/tach/ecm.....Or you are going to have intermittant/contstant problems.....Toyota's do not like aftermarket electrical componants...Especially in the major electrical systems of the vehical...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM

OK, so I'm glad I did not declare jihad against the remote starter installers.....

They are Toyota folks too, and the time-line of my troubles was purely a coincidence. It WAS however related to the PREVIOUS remote starter that was installed prior to me buying the truck, so I guess I was not TOTALLY barking up the wrong tree.

Here is a picture that tells the story better:

They found the harness connector pins (in the picture) were retracted, dirty, and one corner of the harness was melted! They pulled the pins forward again, cleaned it a bit, and used a colorful zip tie to keep it together. Tach returned to normal operation and no stalling since. But I will not trust this vehicle until I can replace the damaged part of the harness.

So I need this part from someone so I may replace mine. Please PM me if you have any of the harness shown in the red box. Will post a request in the parts wanted section as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM

That is the igniter,Either junkyard or Ebay on that connector/harness..Toyota will not sell that connector seperatly..they will price you a complete harness.

There is one on ebay,for $180+shipping..kinda pricey,but I bet the toyota part is close to $1k...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...Q5fAccessories

You should double check w/seller if the igniter connector is indeed in this harness.....Or check local junkyard.....
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the eBay pointer, my friend. Unfortunately, when I read the description it says it is from a 4cylinder 'Runner.

If I buy a whole harness, it better be for the proper engine.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a spare harness. They can come in handy for so many repairs that would be very costly. I'm gonna try to find one somewhere if I can.

My wiring to the battery and starter are particularly bad and I was hoping to replace this spring.

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 01-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM

oops...here is another one...I am sure there is one out there..might just have to dig around...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM

can someone tell me where this connector is?
my tachomerter has been acting up and today the t4r threw the p1300 and p1310 codes
i doubt if both coil pack are bad or the ecu is acting up and throwing both codes
any help is appreciated
i probably woulda found it if the pics would come up lol

97 4runner 2.7 5 speed 4x
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
actually if your parts guy at the dealer is worth a damn, he can order the connector and some new pins that have sections of wire attached. Keep in mind the "repair pins" are spendy.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Old thread looking for the plug!!

To the recent poster for some reason the P01300 is coming up because the ecm is not seeing the signal from the igniter so it shuts off the injectors.

You need to check the complete circuit

Both these DTC`s are Igniter circuit problems the complete circuit need so be checked.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM

to clarify my previous post i need to find the igniter..lol

if i had someone direct my to the plug for the igniter im assuming it'd be attatched to the igniter haha

i cant find any info on where this thing is located

97 4 runner 2.7 5 speed
Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

On that engine the igniter and coil pack are one piece

Look to be on the right side of the engine towards the front.