Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help Please !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help Please !!!!!!!!! Runner is sad

I have a 2nd gen that im changing the spark plugs in and I've got all of them in but the passengers side bank closest to the fire wall. Its reall hard to see. I got it out but I cant get the new one back in w/o droping it. I know this because i tested with one of the old ones. Please any tips would be appreciated asap. Thanks

I'm also at a stealer ship but all the techs are gone so im stranded if i cant get it

Last edited by Yota Runner; 09-13-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:46 PM

Re: Help Please !!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Yota Runner
I have a 2nd gen that im changing the spark plugs in and I've got all of them in but the passengers side bank closest to the fire wall. Its reall hard to see. I got it out but I cant get the new one back in w/o droping it. I know this because i tested with one of the old ones. Please any tips would be appreciated asap. Thanks

I'm also at a stealer ship but all the techs are gone so im stranded if i cant get it
K get a feel for the distance of how far the 1st & 2nd plugs are. Then take the plug in hand and reachhhhh back. Maybe try with your finger to find the hole. Then just find it. Its there. Not sure if its at an angle but that can throw anyone off while rethreading a new plug in. Try not to drop it cuz if you break that porcelin its worthless.. just use your fingers to find the hole then with the plug in your hand reach find the hole with your fingers then slide the plug up in there. Easy stuff.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a deep well plug socket. They have a little rubber piece in them that hold the plug in the socket. I use a 3" extension with the deep well socket and reach in from the front of the engine, not thru the spagetti of vac hoses. Easier than trying to do it by hand. You should be able to thread it by hand almost all the way in. Then attach the ratchet and have at it to snug it up. Helps if you stand on a 5 gallon bucket or something to reach back there.

Last edited by Cebby; 09-13-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the help but I finally got it in. After I got everythig together and started it the idle was high so I turned it down to about a grand and on the way home I thaught it was running crapy so when I pulled into my driveway I put the brake on and slowly went through the rmp's and noticed that it might be missing a bit I think. Not running very smooth at all. Do I need to adjust my timing or go back through my plugs to make sure they are all seated good? I also wiped out my intake to cause it was a bit dirty why's it running crappy?????? The plugs a denso and they are pre gapped
Old 09-13-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Denso's I got from Toyota were also pregapped - NONE to TOY SPECS!!! Pull them and regap. I think they are to be .031 (or is that .31). Make sure plug wires aren't touching, that they are all plugged on all the way, and that all the plugs are in adequately - loose plug will make you lose compression in one of your cylinders.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 AM

I'll try that stuff in a bit thanks for the help Cebby. Hopefully I can get it fixed. My gramps said maybe my plug wires got damaged in the process ( they look like they might be factory ) so maybe the were brittle because they are old and the carbon string inside the boot got damaged. I'll check everthing over. Hopefull its just my wires, I dont want to have to pull out my plugs again ( especially that passenger bank closest to the fire wall ) that one was pissin me off, But whatever it takes to get the runner back to its good ol' self