Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help, PCV removal on 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, PCV removal on 3.0L

First, Thanks Yotatech as you've become my bible until I can accompany everyone here with the FSM.

Second, PCV valve replacement on a 3.0L? Do I need to remove the Air intake manifold(plenum) to get this sucker out? Everyone here seems to have replaced theirs and no where in any of the threads did I see anyone mention they had to remove the manifold.

This is my 3rd yota, first v6 however. Current stats: '91 v6 4x4 Pick Up, 250K miles, std cab, 5sp, and 4 rust areas. I like to call her my project but my fiancee is calling her our retirement....from all the mods I'd like to do. This is my first and most definetily not my last post.

Thank You
-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Replacing it can be done without removing the intake plenum, but it's a PITA. When I did mine I used a pair of long needle nose pliers, and a lot of cursing and swearing . I think I removed a few vacuum hoses that were in the way as well.
It can be done, just takes patience and time.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 AM

I replaced mine several times. Used a pair of long needle nose pliers that are bent 45 degrees. You will have to have a lot of patience though.

The past few times I just took my truck to the dealer and they replaced it for like $15. They were cool about it too and checked to make sure all of the adjacent vacuum lines were connected correctly. If a place will throw in some work for free they will always get my business.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks

PITA is putting it mildly. Thanks for the suggestions however. I just got back from Autozone and was looking at their 45 and 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the job done. I'll get that out and replaced today, as well as my fuel filter and a SeaFoam treatment. Thanks again.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphine
PITA is putting it mildly. Thanks for the suggestions however. I just got back from Autozone and was looking at their 45 and 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the job done. I'll get that out and replaced today, as well as my fuel filter and a SeaFoam treatment. Thanks again.

-=Morphine=-
You'll find the fuel filter is another fun job on a 2nd gen V6, they hid the thing above the tranny cross member. Not much room to get at it.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45 PM

To make it easier to change the pcv valve, drill out the old one and put it back in. Get 8 inches or so of pcv hose and run it out from under the intake. Somewhere in that hose cut it and insert a new pcv in between these two pieces of hose. I used gear(hose) clamps on either side of the pcv to insure that nothing works loose. Then hook it back to the stock outlet on the plenum and you can change it whenever you want in about ten seconds.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:21 PM

Any Pics?

Babypig, any chance of seeing some pics? That idea is ingenious.

Eric-the-red, or anyone else for that matter: How do you know what "gen" the truck and engine are? The fuel filter doesn't appear half as bad as the starter was, am I right?

Trying to learn as quick as possible but slowly my brain begins to hurt.

Thanks
-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 01:29 PM

ahhh sweet memories of replacing my starter on my 3.0. J/K
Old 01-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Sweet memories???

The 3rd day I had my Yota I was replacing the starter. In this example a bad way to begin my project experience. Once I'm done with this pcv valve I hope things start going uphill for me. I'm not mechanically inclined, I work on Computers and Networks for a living. This project was supposed to help me relax and give my Fiancee and I something to do together.

She loves working on the engine more than I, as long as am with her outside or in the garage. Well I guess I'll relax after the work is done and her and I are on a trail, right?

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 02:03 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Woohoo!!! I'm not the only '91 4x4 pick-up!!!!!I've got the FSM if you ever need anything scanned or looked up Morph....just let me know!!!!

'91 4x4 P/U's...2 strong..LOOK OUT!!!!
Muhahahahahaha >evil laugh<
Old 01-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Bows down and says thank you

drkgypsy - Thank you. I've been scouring Ebay for it. I've been using the Hayes manual that was left in the truck and the online '93 manual for my repairs. You are a life saver. If you're ever gonna be in Moreno Valley are on me.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Your welcome sir, us '91 P/Up's gotta stick together!!!! Just lemme know....
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphine
The 3rd day I had my Yota I was replacing the starter. In this example a bad way to begin my project experience. Once I'm done with this pcv valve I hope things start going uphill for me. I'm not mechanically inclined, I work on Computers and Networks for a living. This project was supposed to help me relax and give my Fiancee and I something to do together.

She loves working on the engine more than I, as long as am with her outside or in the garage. Well I guess I'll relax after the work is done and her and I are on a trail, right?

-=Morphine=-

hahahaha dont worry after this 3vze is done with you, you'll be an ASE certified mechanic! It sounds like your wife already is, which is really really really cool!

babypig - that is an AWSOME mod!!!! Im going to take the whole intake plenum off and shim my valves too. too much needs to be done not to pull the intake plenum....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-26-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Damn that PCV!! I did mine the same way, with the needle nose pliers. I used the Valve cover for Leverage along with some side to side movement to pop it out. Then I used a little WD-40 to help the reinstall. PITA !!!!!

The things we do for our Toys! :pat:
Old 01-26-2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone. My fiancee was beginnning to think it couldn't be done w/o removing the intake manifold. Now she wants me to do it and move on to then next project. I will say for such an inexpensive part, and fairly cheaply made part it is a PITA!!!!!

Babypig - please post some pics of the pcv mod you mentioned. Please.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-27-2005, 01:50 AM

dumb dumb question (maybe cause it's 2:45am) but whats is PCV stand for, and it's function?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Banned

Pcv=positive Crankcase Ventilation
Old 01-27-2005, 01:58 AM

gotcha

nathan berg....RIP
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 AM

I'll have some pics up later today.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are more man than I am. After wrestling with the PCV for 3 or 4 hours on a Sat, andd removing numerous EGR and vacuum attachments on the intake, I buttoned her back up, took it to the dealer, and they charged me $23 for the job. :pat:

Quick Reply: Help, PCV removal on 3.0L