Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP! No dash lights.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! No dash lights.

When I orginally installed my boost guage, I didn't connect the guage lights (lazy). I had some time and a heated garage so we connected the lights. It all worked before we buttoned it back up. I checked to make sure that the guage lights and the dimmer worked and everything was fine. After we put everything all back together, I turned on the headlights and...

No dash lights, no backlight on the factory radio, and certainly no guage lights. I don't get it.

I pulled it all back appart and could not find anything wrong. I even unplugged the guage lights and the dash lights still don't work. I checked the fuse that is marked "guage" on the pannel in the dash, but it is fine. Is there another fuse that I should be checking?

I don't think that it is the light bulb in the dash because the radio lights are not working either.

What am I missing? I could really use some help here.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:13 PM

You will probably find a fuse blown. Before you replace the fuse, I would undo any wiring you have currently attached to the factory stuff. THEN replace the fuse. I'm not sure on your truck exactly what the fuse will be called, could be "radio" could be "cig" could be "acc" could be "interior", or something like that. If you have a multimeter or test light, just turn your ignition "on" and go through the fuses checking each one (inside fuse panel) by touching your multimeter or test light to the exposed metal on each fuse, on each side. When the fuse is good you will get power on both posts, and when its bad you will have power on only one post. I would also turn your parking lights "on" while testing as in some vehicles the parking light fuse will only power when they are "on".

If you have questions or can't understand my rambling, feel free to give me a call, I'll be up late

-Ralph
602-421-2202
Old 02-02-2003, 09:38 PM

I would do what Ralph suggested. He helped me out big time a couple of weeks ago. Do a search and you can see that he helped me troubleshoot my dashlights going out and we came to the conclusion that the dimmer was out....It was a pain to troubleshoot, but I'm glad we have Yotatech to assist us. Ralph and others helped me big time.

Salue
Old 02-02-2003, 10:15 PM

Deja Vu...I remember Ralph and Salue going back and forth on that one. Good trouble shoot there. As I mentioned there too, check for any panel clip that could have pinched a wire (happened to me). Good luck. Ralph will get ya through this...
Old 02-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ralph, I'm gonna call you soon...

I have made another discovery in the situation.

I have a remote starter in the truck. I used the remote to start start the truck this morning. When I got in the truck, I was very surprised to see the dash lights on. I thought my problem was solved. But nooooooo. When I pressed the brake to disable the remote starter, the lights went off. I tried it a few times to make sure that it was not a fluke. Everytime, that lights came on but would not work after the starter was disabled.

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well, my dash lights are back thanks to some advise from Ralph. I found the problem to be a blown fuse. It was not, however, in the fuse box located to the left of steering wheel. It was in the main box under the hood.

Ralph,
You were right about the dash light wiring being green. Just like the DEI web site said it was. That really helped when I retapped the guage lights. Thank you sooo much for your help. You went above and beyone the call by inviting me to call you at home. I would not expect the get that kind of help or offer in any other forum. I guess it is just different here at YotaTech. I am truly in your debt. If I can ever help you with anything (tv, audio, video), let me know.

Thanks again,
Noel
Old 02-04-2003, 08:45 PM

Told ya, he da man

Salue
Old 02-05-2003, 01:44 PM

Good deal

Glad to hear your up and running, I'm always here to help