Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help needed tonight - stuck in 4WD :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Unhappy Help needed tonight - stuck in 4WD :(

I'm leaving very early tomorrow morning for the beach and finally have an issue with my trusty 4Runner that I need to ask for help on. It is stuck in 4WD and apparently the center diff is locked as well. I've attempted everything and am about to crawl under the truck to see if there's anything obvious.

This happened at the same time that I accidentally nudged the 4WD lever into neutral while the truck was slowly driving in "D". Instantly the four illuminated wheel icons, as well as the center diff light, started flashing. I've read numerous write-ups this evening involving the testing of switches and actuators - but frankly I will not have the time this evening.

Is there something easy that I may be overlooking? I have the battery disconnected at the moment. This was to be the first time that I took the truck onto the sand at Assateague Island, VA. I figure after covering 151,000 trouble-free miles since buying it new, it was time to reward it!

I look forward to any and all responses. Please keep in mind that my truck is a 2001 with multi-mode 4WD.

Andreas
Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhm I'm not sure how the 4wd mechanism works in the 3rd gens. But I have a 2nd gen runner and sometimes (usually only on the 44s) I have a problem gettin' it out of the 4wd. Then I have to drive it abit backwards in reverse...
If it's motor driven 4wd in the 3rd gen, I'd assume the motor is stuck or some wires or sensor has gone bad. Or even the computer that controls the 4wd if there is any... Tried unpluggin' the plugs for the 4wd on the tranny? I'm not sure, but maybe that helps.

Hope you find out what the matter is!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Problem solved - I think!

I went out to the shop and raised the truck onto four stands (the battery had been disconnected for at least 30 min.). Then I gently tapped the vacuum actuators with a small hammer and thoroughly checked each electrical & vacuum connection. The first thing I noticed when the rear came off the ground was a distinctive 'thud' in the driveline. I then lifted and supported the front, re-connected the battery, and turned the key to the first position. The flashing 4WD indicator was gone. So I started the truck, clicked it into 'D' and gently gave it a bit of gas. It was definitely in 2WD. From there I switched back and forth between 2WD & 4WD at least 10 times, allowing the wheels to stop first and with the tranny in 'N'. It worked each time without fail. The center diff lock switch also works as before.

So my simplistic theory is that something was bound in the transfer case when I accidently nudged the lever into 'N' (while rolling in 'D').

What a relief! As long as the over-sand area is open tomorrow, the truck will finally get a chance to romp on the beach (no saltwater BS of course...).

Andreas
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

A little update:

The 4Runner did great on the sand - no issues with the 4WD whatsoever. I found the ideal tire pressure to be around 15 psi and have ordered a set of Stauns for this coming weekend...

Here are a few pics:

Name:  beach3.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  beach2.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  beach1.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  55.5 KB

Andreas
Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Problem solved - I think!

I went out to the shop and raised the truck onto four stands (the battery had been disconnected for at least 30 min.). Then I gently tapped the vacuum actuators with a small hammer and thoroughly checked each electrical & vacuum connection. The first thing I noticed when the rear came off the ground was a distinctive 'thud' in the driveline. I then lifted and supported the front, re-connected the battery, and turned the key to the first position. The flashing 4WD indicator was gone. So I started the truck, clicked it into 'D' and gently gave it a bit of gas. It was definitely in 2WD. From there I switched back and forth between 2WD & 4WD at least 10 times, allowing the wheels to stop first and with the tranny in 'N'. It worked each time without fail. The center diff lock switch also works as before.

So my simplistic theory is that something was bound in the transfer case when I accidently nudged the lever into 'N' (while rolling in 'D').

What a relief! As long as the over-sand area is open tomorrow, the truck will finally get a chance to romp on the beach (no saltwater BS of course...).

Andreas
Hi, I am glad to hear you got yours back to normal. Mine just staretd doing the same thing tonight, I raised the truck, turned all the wheels, driove forward and backward while in the air and on the ground, shifted between 4hi and lo pushed all the buttons (4wd and trac) and nothing works. Can you tell me what exaclty where you gently tapped the vacuum actuators with a small hammer and thoroughly checked each electrical & vacuum connection?

Thanks,
Cory
2001 4runner ltd 4wd
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM

just got done having the same problem with an 03 disconnected the battery for 10 minutes when i restarted the ecu had to reprogram to bring the idle up then relays started clicking and a minute later the transfer disengaged thanks for the initial write up