Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

*Help* In the middle of tranny cooler install, have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Help* In the middle of tranny cooler install, have a question...

From the write ups some people used 5/16" and some used 3/8" transmission line. I bought the 3/8" and it seems kind of big, those of you that used 3/8's" line, was it suposed to be so easy to slide onto the cooler? The supplied line looks like 5/16".
Old 05-26-2004, 03:01 PM

As long as you put some clamps and dont' have any leaks, you should be okay.

I have TRD Transmission cooler and it came with 3/8" line. I used supplied clamps which went on really tight and so far no problems at all.

-- Andrey
Old 05-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Andrey
As long as you put some clamps and dont' have any leaks, you should be okay.

I have TRD Transmission cooler and it came with 3/8" line. I used supplied clamps which went on really tight and so far no problems at all.

-- Andrey
Can anyone confirm this who has used the Hayden?

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-26-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Confirmed

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
Can anyone confirm this who has used the Hayden?
I did the Hayden and 3/8" ID was a PITA to get on the barbs on mine so consider yourself lucky and just use the hose clamps and you'll be fine! Mine's been working perfectly with no leaks.

Any more questions about the Hayden install just email me or look on my site for the write-up I did.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I did the Hayden and 3/8" ID was a PITA to get on the barbs on mine so consider yourself lucky and just use the hose clamps and you'll be fine! Mine's been working perfectly with no leaks.

Any more questions about the Hayden install just email me or look on my site for the write-up I did.

Good luck!

Your write-up is one of the three I'm following , Yeah I'll go with the 3/8" then. Is there any dissadvantages mounting the cooler close to the condenser vs. the trd way where the cooler is far from teh A/C condenser?

THe 12' of hose seems like an over kill.

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-26-2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I just pulled off the line from teh radiator and it seems like alot of fluid is coming out. How much is supposed to come out?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

I'm guessing a quart has come out now, and it's not stopping. Was there something I was supposed to pinch? It stopped and I measured what came out, I poured it into a gallon milk jug and it came up about 2.5 ". Is the normal and I'm just being anal or should I finish the install and get to kragen, using a dif. car, and get a couple quarts of dexron 2 and be ready to add alot? BTW I am a noob with the 4runner, I've had it not too long, where do I add ATF?

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-26-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Talking Fluid

I'm guessing a quart has come out now, and it's not stopping. Was there something I was supposed to pinch? It stopped and I measured what came out, I poured it into a gallon milk jug and it came up about 2.5 ". Is the normal and I'm just being anal or should I finish the install and get to kragen, using a dif. car, and get a couple quarts of dexron 2 and be ready to add alot? BTW I am a noob with the 4runner, I've had it not too long, where do I add ATF?
Whatever comes out measure it and replace it and then check the fluid levels as there are marks on the dipstick for hot and cold levels. I'd put OEM ATF back in it and you can get that at the dealer or just go to your local autoparts place and tell them what kind of vehicle you have so you can match it as best possible.

I got 12' of hose and had some left over, but I routed my lines so they would be more than safe and out of the way. I'd put on the outside of the condenser next to the grill down low in the center. Look where I put mine. Works fine and I have had no problems.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Whatever comes out measure it and replace it and then check the fluid levels as there are marks on the dipstick for hot and cold levels. I'd put OEM ATF back in it and you can get that at the dealer or just go to your local autoparts place and tell them what kind of vehicle you have so you can match it as best possible.

I got 12' of hose and had some left over, but I routed my lines so they would be more than safe and out of the way. I'd put on the outside of the condenser next to the grill down low in the center. Look where I put mine. Works fine and I have had no problems.

Good luck!

Where do I replace it? I don't know where to add fluid. Doesn't the Skid plate pinch your lines when they're like that/.

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-26-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM

Where do I replace it? I don't know where to add fluid. Doesn't the Skid plate pinch your lines when they're like that/.
Here is a good picture to check transmission fluid:

-- Andrey
Old 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Banned

Talking Skid

Nope, skid plates never touch them at all. Look in your owner's manual and it'll show you how/where to replace fluid or consult a Chilton/Haynes manual for some pics.

You ain't through with this thing yet?

Old 05-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

You ain't through with this thing yet?

LOL, I got it all hooked and everything, I'm just debating still whether or not to wait until tomorrow when toyota is open to get OEM fluid or to go to Kragen and get some Dexron II. Is it that much of a difference?

I got the MAXI-KOOL; XL Stacked Plate; Extra Heavy Duty, 11-5/8" x 11" x 3/4 so it was a squeeze to get everything to work. You never answered me on the question about whether it makes a difference mounting away from the A/C condenser like the TRD or next to it like our coolers.

Can you guys please give me some insight on the two above questions?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

Talking 2 questions

LOL, I got it all hooked and everything, I'm just debating still whether or not to wait until tomorrow when toyota is open to get OEM fluid or to go to Kragen and get some Dexron II. Is it that much of a difference?

I got the MAXI-KOOL; XL Stacked Plate; Extra Heavy Duty, 11-5/8" x 11" x 3/4 so it was a squeeze to get everything to work. You never answered me on the question about whether it makes a difference mounting away from the A/C condenser like the TRD or next to it like our coolers.

Can you guys please give me some insight on the two above questions?
1) Wouldn't worry about it considering the amount you are replacing, just replace it with some equivalent ATF.

2) Mounting location does not matter as long as it is getting some air flow so it can cool.

Now have a and chill out on a job well done!

Old 05-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the help, before I run to Kragen, I'm going to post some pics of the install and see if you think everything is ok...

Go here

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/42725.phtml

And look at the bottom 4 pictures of the 4runner and see if the install looks right. Most of the other pics are from my other 2 cars, ignore them.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

I found a quart of THIS STUFF laying around the garage. Will it work?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a good picture to check transmission fluid:

-- Andrey
I know where to check I don't know where to fill.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

Talking Zip ties

Thanks for the help, before I run to Kragen, I'm going to post some pics of the install and see if you think everything is ok...

Go here

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/42725.phtml

And look at the bottom 4 pictures of the 4runner and see if the install looks right. Most of the other pics are from my other 2 cars, ignore them.
You might want to secure the lines with some zip ties so they don't move around too much and rub on stuff. Other than that it looks good!

Old 05-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

You might want to secure the lines with some zip ties so they don't move around too much and rub on stuff. Other than that it looks good!

I still have to do that along with the protection. I can't figure out how to add fluid. Through the dipstck or from the manual it almost seems like through the power steering.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:06 PM

I know where to check I don't know where to fill.
you would fill ATF at same place

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 05-26-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

you would fill ATF at same place

-- Andrey
YAY!!!! Adrea is a winner, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: *Help* In the middle of tranny cooler install, have a question...