Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help me with my tune up, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with my tune up, please

I'm about to do a tune up on my 99 3RZ Auto, 2wd.

So far I've got new polyurethane sway bar bushings from Wheeler's, going to do all of my fluids excluding coolant (recently done).

I use Castrol GTX full synthetic 10w-30 every oil change at a 5k interval. Going to be doing that and maybe a new oil pan+gasket considering it's dented. I only use K&N oil filters too. I've gotta do this anyway considering my oil filter housing seal is leaking and I've got the seal and o-ring ready to be replaced.

I haven't done my ATF in a while and I bet it's bad in there. I want to do a synthetic, any recommendations? Please provide me with weights and stuff too, never done my own tranny fluid on my 4Runner before. How often am I supposed to do tranny fluid? I've heard there's great stuff from Redline Oils. Also, any filter recommendations?

My rear differential is probably dying. I bought my 4Runner in March 08. I don't know the last time the gear oil was ever done, and I haven't done it before. I want to use Redline Synthetic as well. What weight and stuff do I need? I already know to remove the fill plug first, which most likely won't be an issue in SoCal with minimal rust and all.

My brake fluid is also pretty bad, it's black as all hell and I bet it's gonna be chunky. I will have to bleed through a ton of extra fluid. Any recommendations on a good fluid and specific types? I also think maybe I should do stainless steel brake lines.

I think I should do Power Steering fluid too. My steering never had issues but I've noticed a rather audible noise at full lock for a week or so now. Again, any recommendations?

My buddy who runs a shop recommends that I change my fuel filter as well, as it is stock and my truck has 164k miles on it. I told him Toyota says its a lifetime part but he says otherwise... input? It's in the worst spot ever on these 3RZ trucks, you 5VZ owners are lucky.

I’m also gonna grab some RemFlex exhaust gaskets as recommended by another member. If that doesn’t work, I will try two OEM gaskets. I have a leak between my cat and my headers due to a warped flange.

Spark plugs are good but I could use new wires too, looking to LC Engineering for those.

Thanks everyone for any input, anything else I should see fit to do?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Search
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
Search
I've searched a lot but most of the stuff on here is related to the V6 models, also different gearing and all that.

I don't know if the weight of diff oil would be different but id like to be sure.

A lot of the questions i have are 3RZ specific and unfortunately I can only find 5VZ related threads and posts.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run Royal Purple 75w90 in the transfer case and both diffs (good for 50-100K).
Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF in the trans and power steering (good for 60-100K).
Amsoil Synth. 10w30 (15-25K - only with the Amsoil filter).
ONLY get OEM (NGK or Denso) wires and spark plugs - NOTHING ELSE!
No actual interval for the fuel filter, but 164K sounds like a good time to change it to me.

The intervals really depend on how hard you drive and in what conditions. I change my fluids at the lower intervals, but I live in the mountains and drive up and down a 6K ft. hill almost everyday, so my conditions are more severe than average. Also, your owner's manual has all this info (if you have it).
Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Just a tip too, when asking about preferences, you won't get very far. everyone has their own opinion about what they use. Some people run synthetic and act like using regular oil is like pouring sand in the motor. One person will rave about a type of plug and others will hate it. Just do real world research, make a decision see if you like and go from there.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
I've searched a lot but most of the stuff on here is related to the V6 models, also different gearing and all that.

I don't know if the weight of diff oil would be different but id like to be sure.

A lot of the questions i have are 3RZ specific and unfortunately I can only find 5VZ related threads and posts.
All the specs for the fluid are in the owners manual or in a Haynes manual or here if you do search. As for preference, I have been using the Mobil synthetics for my vehicle - mostly because Autozone puts them on special here and there.