Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help me diagnose "roaring" noise from front driver area

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose "roaring" noise from front driver area

Hi Yotatech,
I am hoping that someone can help me diagnose this sound that is making highway trips pretty annoying.

Truck: 97' 4Runner 4x4 w/ADD

Symptoms:
-Deep sounding roar (Slightly whomp, whomping at slow speeds)
-When accelerating it comes and goes as speed increases.
-Seems loudest every 10mph increase starting at 40mph.
-Loudest at 50Mph, goes away over 70 (Could be covered up by wind/road noise)

I at first thought it was tire noise, but after getting a new set it is still there. (The new tires were balanced on the GSP9700). Had alignment done at the same time.

My rotors are warped on both sides, would they cause any vibration/noise like this even when brakes are not applied?

My other thought is that it might be the CV axle, I don't have a lift but I have wheeled it hard a few times. I havn't noticed any grease leaking either.

That's a lot to think about but I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas. I will be doing the Tundra brake upgrade so I will be able to tell if that was the problem soon. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Sounds like it could be a u-joint. Try greasing all the fittings on your front and rear drive shafts and see if that cures it.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 AM

I was definitly thinking that could be it. I did pump grease in all the fittings once, maybe I will do it again just to make sure everything got worked outta there. Also, It does seem to be comming from the front driver's side of the car, do you think rear driveline noise could manifest itself all the way up there?

I also forgot to mention that I hear the noise in both 4wd and 2wd.

Last edited by mjwalfredo; 02-15-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 AM

Well, consider how far the rear driveshaft comes up towards the front of the truck. Your transfer case is under your shifter and your driveshaft comes right up to it so that much vibration could definitely seem like it's coming from the front.

One way to diagnose if you have a bad u-joint is to jack up the rear of the truck, use sturdy jack stands and with the engine on, put it in Drive or 1st gear. Look under the truck and see you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Also, notice if your driveshaft rotates without any play or wobble.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:06 AM

I kinda had the same problems, It was the u-joints, dry as a bone.. Grease those suckers up... Give your truck a good road trip to get that grease in where it needs to be.. Just go to auto parts store and get a mini grease gun and buy the flex hose with some multi lithium grease.. you can't go wrong and your favorite beer for afterwards..
Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Last night, I put the truck up on jack stands and listened for noise in the drive line. Heard nothing. I once again think it is something to do with my front left CV, wheel bearing or brake.

I noticed that there was some play in my CV axles. I got under the truck, grabbed the axles and pushed straight up to the sky and pulled straight down to the ground. Is that normal for there to be some play along that axis?

There was also a small amount of grease coming out of the inner boot.

I will try to see if I can get a mechanic to ride with me later today and I will let you know what he thinks.
-Mark
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Mechanic said it's not the wheel bearing because it did not go away when he loaded it by swerving back and forth. Gonna have it put on a lift tomorrow so they can see what is going on. Man it's fun having a conversation with myself on Yotatech. But I will post what they find in case this ever happens to anyone else.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 PM

you still can try the zerks... looking forward to knowing what your problem turns out to be. thanks for the updates
Old 02-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

my first bet is the CVs. sounds like a lot of play there. new ones are fairly tight. mine roared (perhaps like yours) when they were hosed.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 PM

you might want to try and check the wheel bearings
Old 02-16-2006, 03:45 PM

Oh yeah, I did hit all the zerks one more time while I was underneath. No dice. I'll let ya'll know when I get her back though.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles are on this vehicle?
I would check the wheel bearings too, they can begin to roar when going bad.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:41 AM

186,000 on my truck now. I hope it is the wheel bearing rather than the CV axle. Back when I had the truck in highschool, I thought it was fun to go mudding and I would get her stuck with the wheels buried in muddy water. That was about 5 years ago but I did it a couple of times where the wheels were submerged for more than 24 hours. I wonder if that has finally come back to bight me...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
186,000 on my truck now. I hope it is the wheel bearing rather than the CV axle. Back when I had the truck in highschool, I thought it was fun to go mudding and I would get her stuck with the wheels buried in muddy water. That was about 5 years ago but I did it a couple of times where the wheels were submerged for more than 24 hours. I wonder if that has finally come back to bight me...
Yeah, that could be a wheel bearing for sure at that mileage. You might try to repack the CVs with grease too if the boots are beginning to leak. Just replace the clamps on the boots with metal ones if you remove them (obviously replace any damaged or torn CV boots as well).
Old 02-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Is it too obvious to ask how long ago you deckplated?

Get any word from the mechanic? I myself am curious.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

I think I am having all these problems also. I only have 58k on mine tho. I have that rattling sound that soundslike something is loose in my DIN area. Only when going like 30mph or more. I also have that higher type roar that sounds like a race car engine from the drivers side. Would love to find out the solution.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everybody, just want to say that i am new to the show but a long time listner . My truck has just started doing the same thing--i was about to get new tires but i think i will start checking it out also. If i find anything out i will let yall know asap.

On a little side note--Great site for a great truck--144,000 miles and only had to change oil and timing belt. Thanks again all for making this such a great site.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Guess what it turned out to be... My rear differential! My mechanic agreed that it sounded like it was coming from the front driver's area from inside the car but I guess the transmission must have been vibrating through the driveline. They put it up on the lift and somehow discovered it. Not sure how but I will find out soon enough.

I didn't change my diff oil nearly as much as I should have for the way I have been driving this thing. So, anyone have a complete axle with e-locker for sale?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Anyone know a good website to search junkyards?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:56 AM

Okay, I think I found a complete axle to buy, I just wanted to confirm this with you guys: My 1997 4Runner Limited that came w/Electric Locker and 265/70/16 tires from the factory uses 4.30 gears correct? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose "roaring" noise from front driver area