Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help with lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with lift

Hi, I have been thinking about adding a 2 inch lift to my 4runner. I just need some things cleared up for me. Since I want more ground clearance, the suspension lift would be what I need to get, right? I think the body lifts just lift the body, lol, and no extra ground clearance in achieved. What are some of the good suspension lifts out there? I heard stuff about replacing the coils, does this come with the kits? I want a lift, but I also want a smooth ride (as smooth as you can get in a truck, hahaha) I would have the local auto shop install the lift, do the kits come with all parts, I would think the steering column needs to be lengthened, but I'm not sure, I need as much help as possible looking at lift kits. Also, does putting a lift on the truck increase wear/ the possibility of more problems down the road? Also, I don't think I want to go above 2 inches cause i heard it can increase the possibility of problems later on, is this true? If its not, what would be the best lift height? I don't think I want it more than 3.5, but Ill see. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:34 PM

To my knowledge, there aren't many true kits offered for the 4Runner unless you start talking about long travel kits - which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

The best way to gain ground clearance is to run bigger tires - tires are the only thing that lift EVERYTHING. You can gain clearance for bigger tires with either a suspension lift (which will affect your ride, but give you more ground clearance), or a body lift (which won't affect your ride, but won't give you any addition ground clearance).

Both are good options... just depends on your needs/wants.

I run Old Man Emu gear and I'm very pleased with it, however it certainly does not give a smoother ride. To get a little lift and maintain a decent ride, I think your best options would probably be OME comfort springs/shocks (I run their heavy duty springs and shocks) or the Tundra/OME combo - do a search for this, there's lots of talk about it lately.

As for the steering extension... that only needs to be done if you do a body lift. Any suspenion lift will but addition stress on the driveline - particularly the CVs. General consensus is that anything under 2.5" is safe.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

so if I were to just buy the shocks/springs that were bigger than OEM, it would be like a suspension lift, with a soft ride? I don't go offroad that much, just want to sit up higher, with more ground clearance when I do go offroad, and I like the look. Exactly what brands or parts would you guys recommend for my 4runner, with a 2.5 or 3 inch lift? How about tires? What kind of tires should I get if I did a 2.5 or 3 inch lift? Somewhere in compromise with good offroad, and semi smooth ride. I don't want the tires scraping any part of my truck even when turning like some people have happen. I really know nothing about lifts, and I want to purchase something strong and reliable. Nothing but the best for my 4runner(or close to, lol, for a lower price) Thanks!

Last edited by dibble9012; 01-08-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

For the front: Super soft, ultra capable. OME HD Shocks.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=tundra+trd

For the rear:
Downey 2.5" coils/OME 906 coils. OME HD Shocks.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The only way to get more ground clearance is larger tires. A suspension lift or a body lift can provide room for larger tires to fit without rubbing in the wheel wells. A suspension lift will raise the frame and body, but the clearance under the axles remains the same (unless taller tires are installed). A body lift will raise the body off the frame, gaining ground clearance at the front and rear bumpers and keeps the rocker panels higher as well:

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#Lifts
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The only way to get more ground clearance is larger tires. A suspension lift or a body lift can provide room for larger tires to fit without rubbing in the wheel wells. A suspension lift will raise the frame and body, but the clearance under the axles remains the same (unless taller tires are installed). A body lift will raise the body off the frame, gaining ground clearance at the front and rear bumpers and keeps the rocker panels higher as well:

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#Lifts

I am planning on upgrading tires a bit after I wear out the ones I have now, I also need help picking tires. Just dont want the new bigger tires to rub. Any suggestions on tires, something thats good offroad, but also sorta smooth on the road, what size would they be with the shocks and coils that gapguy posted?

Last edited by dibble9012; 01-08-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
For the front: Super soft, ultra capable. OME HD Shocks.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=tundra+trd

For the rear:
Downey 2.5" coils/OME 906 coils. OME HD Shocks.

start reading. all your questions will be answered
Old 01-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

yea, definitely a great writeup, have to read that a couple times to make sure i got everything right before I buy all of it and take it to a place to get installed on my 4runner.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

I'm confused, lol, never knew deciding on a 2-2.5 inch lift would be confusing, wish i could just take it to a place and say, i want a 2.5 inch lift with a compromise between smooth ride, and offroad capability, and they would do it, hahaha, just gotta keep on reading.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

good luck...there are lots of guys in the No. VA area who know what they are doing...im right down the road from you...well kind of..lol. good luck

Matt
Old 01-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

yea I have some friends that should be able to help me, I just wanted to know more about lifts so I have an idea of what I want before I talk to them.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:21 AM

Spacers are another type of suspension lift, and are normally pretty cheap. Cornfed has nice spacers, and Revtek offers a 3" spacer kit w/diff. drop for about $330. I've got Revtek spacers up front, OME 890s in the rear and OME shocks all the way around and I think the ride is much better than stock.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 PM

OK, here's the big problem as I see it. You want to do a suspenion lift AND get a smoother ride. Ain't going to happen.

All suspenion lifts (at least, all the ones I'm familiar with) lift your rig by using slightly longer, slightly stiffer springs. Stiffer springs = firmer ride. For a lot of poeple, a firm ride is good because it improves handling by reducing body roll. However, if you're looking for a smoother ride (i.e. more plush over the bumps), a suspension lift is not going to do that.

But for what it's worth, from all the reading I've done, the softest riding suspeion lift is OME standard/comfort shocks and springs.

And just to clear things up... yes, buying 4 shocks and 4 coils will essentially make a lift kit for you. However, (obviously) you need to make sure they work with each other and they will fit your rig.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dibble9012
I'm confused, lol, never knew deciding on a 2-2.5 inch lift would be confusing, wish i could just take it to a place and say, i want a 2.5 inch lift with a compromise between smooth ride, and offroad capability, and they would do it, hahaha, just gotta keep on reading.
Come to Richmond. Drop your truck off with me at my shop. It will leave with exactly what you have described. Spacers and shocks, TRD setup, or OME all the way. I run the TRD and hae ZERO complaints. If you want it done for you let me know
Old 01-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Search button

"Lift FAQ"

Old 01-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
OK, here's the big problem as I see it. You want to do a suspenion lift AND get a smoother ride. Ain't going to happen.

All suspenion lifts (at least, all the ones I'm familiar with) lift your rig by using slightly longer, slightly stiffer springs. Stiffer springs = firmer ride. For a lot of people, a firm ride is good because it improves handling by reducing body roll. However, if you're looking for a smoother ride (i.e. more plush over the bumps), a suspension lift is not going to do that.

But for what it's worth, from all the reading I've done, the softest riding suspeion lift is OME standard/comfort shocks and springs.

And just to clear things up... yes, buying 4 shocks and 4 coils will essentially make a lift kit for you. However, (obviously) you need to make sure they work with each other and they will fit your rig.
Yea, I'm not looking for a really smooth ride, just don't want something too rough. Maybe Ill just talk to someone around area, see if I can ride in their truck to see the difference in feel. When you talk about reducing body role, does that mean, like right now when I make a tight turn, you can feel the whole truck lean to one side a lot, it reduces that leaning? Don't anti sway bars do the same thing?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Yes, sway bars help, as do stiffer springs. That's one of the reasons sports cars handle so well.

Va has a good 4runner crowd - it shouldn't be hard to find someone who will let you ride in their rig.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

i live in fairfax...not too far from you. however, i only have 1/2 of my lift on im not too sure on how to do the front part...lol. i have the ome and bilsteins. the rear is much stiffer that stock. let me know if you need help (atleast ill try to help)

Matt